Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2021

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2015

Greetings all...

Being a non-techno-guy, so far as electronics are concerned, and having a few other issues I won't go into now :sick2:, I'm finding it difficult to go through the 14-pages of excellent information here and get what I need. Therefore I will simply ask my questions and, as I have been greatly helped with selections here in the past (purchasing spotlight, charger, batteries et cetera), hope for the same kind assistance.

I use AAA and AA rechargeable batteries and a few C and D disposables. I also have, due to recommendations from CPF, a La Crosse BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger. What I'd like to know, in simple terms, is which AA and AAA Eneloop batteries are the latest-n-greatest and where is the best place to purchase them from?

I'd also like to know the same regarding the C and D batteries but I assume there's another thread for those?

Thank you kindly :thanks:

Last edited:

Devon

Newly Enlightened

These Eneloops (Tropical) are made in China and claim 70% as opposed to the earlier ones claiming 65%.

The % difference cannot be relied upon to determine their country of manufacture, ie. Japan or China

Note the different spelling of 'color' and 'colour'.....lol

I am unable to post attachments so here's a direct link to the retailers website page of the product.

http://www.****smith.com.au/batteries/eneloop-aa-tropical-8-pack-dsau-s4492

I have confirmed this in store twice now over a few months.

The front page will need to be updated to reflect this.

ChibiM

Enlightened

These Eneloops (Tropical) are made in China and claim 70% as opposed to the earlier ones claiming 65%.

The % difference cannot be relied upon to determine their country of manufacture, ie. Japan or China

Note the different spelling of 'color' and 'colour'.....lol

I am unable to post attachments so here's a direct link to the retailers website page of the product.

Until I've seen otherwise, your observation is incorrect. **** smith is very unreliable, as has been pointed out a few times in the past. I'd prefer if you take your post down, or edit it.

Devon

Newly Enlightened

What do I have to do to convince you? Send you a pack?

I will drop into a store today and take a couple of photos to confirm for you my previous observations if you like.....70% and Chinese made.

ChibiM

Enlightened

What do I have to do to convince you? Send you a pack?

I will drop into a store today and take a couple of photos to confirm for you my previous observations if you like.....70% and Chinese made.
Hey,
if you can send some pics, that would be really appreciated. I will delete my comment if you`re correct. But I hope you aren`t ;)

ChibiM

Enlightened

Just copied this from my other thread at BLF
old vs new

Left: Made in Japan 3rd generation Right: Made in (Japan?) 4th generation
I think they now make 2 versions, 1 in China (bottom) and 1 in Japan... (right)

16040724871_c53f74d314_n.jpg
16016904126_7ae91533d4_n.jpg

Both say 70% after 5 years.
but this one below, is definitely made in China
65% and from a Chinese website
16040852381_775312abae_n.jpg

Backside (link is external) of this 65% one, showing that its made in China.

If Devon is right, I have to add that to this post.

Devon

Newly Enlightened

Couldn't get a pic as they have sold out but I can confirm 70% and made in PRC as I had checked it twice....

I will have to take some pics next time I go for a drive to the city, 250 km's away.....

Happy to withdraw if I am mistaken but I have checked twice and I trust I didn't make the same error twice, but hey, I am merely a man.

Edit: I did manage to get 16 more Pros for about AU$3.00 each and an 8 pack of Uomo's for almost AU$2.00 each......the retailer is going broke and in administration with receivers appointed.

Last edited:

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

Note the different spelling of 'color' and 'colour'.....lo

Colour is the British spelling. So naturally it would be the same in Hong Kong.

Last edited:

kilogulf59

Enlightened

Greetings all...

Being a non-techno-guy, so far as electronics are concerned, and having a few other issues I won't go into now :sick2:, I'm finding it difficult to go through the 14-pages of excellent information here and get what I need. Therefore I will simply ask my questions and, as I have been greatly helped with selections here in the past (purchasing spotlight, charger, batteries et cetera), hope for the same kind assistance.

I use AAA and AA rechargeable batteries and a few C and D disposables. I also have, due to recommendations from CPF, a La Crosse BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger. What I'd like to know, in simple terms, is which AA and AAA Eneloop batteries are the latest-n-greatest and where is the best place to purchase them from?

I'd also like to know the same regarding the C and D batteries but I assume there's another thread for those?

Thank you kindly :thanks:

So I guess I'm not going to get an answer?

Devon

Newly Enlightened

Colour is the British spelling. So naturally it would be the same in Hong Kong.

The word appears twice on the front of the packet and it is spelt with both alternatives, "color" at the top, then "colour" mid way down on the right hand side.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I guess I'm not going to get an answer?

I bought my Eneloops from Amazon. Some have expressed concern over Amazon selling counterfeits so I suppose that the "best" place may be Costco, if you have one (I don't).

Any Eneloop is going to be excellent, so I wouldn't worry about "the latest and greatest"; very simply, just buy as many as you need/want.

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened

How come the Pro's have less than 1/4 the cycle capability of the latest standard eneloop? Are they only "pro" because of the higher mAh? Or do they excel in other less obvious areas? Thanks!

Last edited:

Devon

Newly Enlightened

Because batteries are a compromise between cycles and capacity, a bit like a tyre for your car, sport v's longevity etc..

kilogulf59

Enlightened

I bought my Eneloops from Amazon. Some have expressed concern over Amazon selling counterfeits so I suppose that the "best" place may be Costco, if you have one (I don't).

Any Eneloop is going to be excellent, so I wouldn't worry about "the latest and greatest"; very simply, just buy as many as you need/want.

Thank you...

Ray F.

Newly Enlightened

How come the Pro's have less than 1/4 the cycle capability of the latest standard eneloop? Are they only "pro" because of the higher mAh? Or do they excel in other less obvious areas? Thanks!

I think I also read that the Pro perform well in high drain devices like cameras and flash devices where power drain is great and recycle times are important. Hopefully, someone can confirm this belief.

[Added]
I did a quick search and found a couple of items of interest:

Youtube - test of Sanyo Eneloop 2000mah vs. Eneloop XX 2500mah in Nikon SB-700 flash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrR7-NuEvQ4

A November 2013 article from SLR Lounge with testing and results using various rechargeable AA batteries. Eneloop XX came out on top.
https://www.slrlounge.com/best-rechargeable-aa-batteries-flash-photography/

Last edited:

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened

I think I also read that the Pro perform well in high drain devices like cameras and flash devices where power drain is great and recycle times are important. Hopefully, someone can confirm this belief.

[Added]
I did a quick search and found a couple of items of interest:

Youtube - test of Sanyo Eneloop 2000mah vs. Eneloop XX 2500mah in Nikon SB-700 flash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrR7-NuEvQ4

A November 2013 article from SLR Lounge with testing and results using various rechargeable AA batteries. Eneloop XX came out on top.
https://www.slrlounge.com/best-rechargeable-aa-batteries-flash-photography/

Thanks Ray, I think you are correct - better under load, etc.

MarioJP

Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2016

I really could not see much of a difference in the video. There were moments where the pros did cycle the flash a bit faster but then it slowed after the 2nd and third.

Ray F.

Newly Enlightened

I noticed the same thing. There was no appreciable difference in this test. If I find anymore supporting tests with a larger difference, I will post them.

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened

Busted out the CH-9000 the other day and discharged (500mA)/charged (1000mA) some neglected 2006 standard white "min.1900mAh" eneloops, 4 of them had around 1,850 mAh right off the charger sans top-up (should have probably left them on for a bit of trickle). Going through about 16 eneloops from 2006-2009, lowest one so far was 1,774 mAh without topup using 1A to charge. One other 2006 cell got 1945 mAh before showing "done" and another from 2009 is 2190 mAh and counting as I write this. These are damn impressive little batteries - no need to throw any of them out just yet.

Do you guys group cells by age (manufacturer date), or just mAh performance? I was just going to group them all by mAh, but I am not sure.

Last edited:

MrWongBurger

Newly Enlightened

Hello, i just picked up the kit from costco today and was wondering do i charge them first or drain them?