P1D CE Textured Reflector Survey - Request from Fenix Engineers

Which reflector would you like Fenix to adopt?

• Current reflector (248 lux)

Votes: 114 26.7%
  • Thin texture (201 lux)

Votes: 229 53.6%
  • Medium texture (165 lux)

Votes: 82 19.2%
  • Heavy texture (136)

Votes: 17 4.0%

• Total voters

PB92

Newly Enlightened
My hat is off to Fenix for looking into the mentioned ring issue. Personally, it is one smokin light, it's my EDC now and I have no issue with the beam. But as with any new technology there is always room for improvement, and I welcome that.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
.......... `Throw mania` gone mad ?? .......

BTTT .... this is a cr123 light, a small light,.. that fits on a keychain/ in a pocket, a light that the majority of people buy/use for everyday task lighting,
a narrow beam with very little spill is worse than useless !!!
i wouldn`t want it or expect it to have a blinding hotspot at 40 meters,
.... a floody AND wider beam with a smooth transition to a brighter centre, this is more useful in the real world,
.......and so my vote goes to `Heavy texture`:)

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
nice that they responded to the beam concerns!
thin looks good enough for me, and i always liked the throw of my fenix lights

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Current with external diffuser for me.

Coloured Diffuser option? too.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: .......... `Throw mania` gone mad ?? .......

HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
BTTT .... this is a cr123 light, a small light,.. that fits on a keychain/ in a pocket, a light that the majority of people buy/use for everyday task lighting,
a narrow beam with very little spill is worse than useless !!!
i wouldn`t want it or expect it to have a blinding hotspot at 40 meters,
.... a floody AND wider beam with a smooth transition to a brighter centre, this is more useful in the real world,
.......and so my vote goes to `Heavy texture`:)

This line of reasoning reflects my current thoughts and makes alot of sense to me. I prefer my Amilite Neo's floodier beam over my P1 is for just this issue. I think that the P1 is the right size light for a CR123 pocket or keychain light. A little more flood would make it more useful. I would have to vote for medium or thin.

MountainMan

Newly Enlightened
I live in the deep woods - nightly use mine to spot the many deer that bed around the house - plus to keep the coyotes away when the dog goes out to do his business after dark. So for me the current throw works out well - if it was less I would go to a differnt light for this purpose even though it would be larger.

martonic

Enlightened
I voted for the current reflector.

The P1D - CE already has excellent spill. Its good throw makes it very useful outdoors not only for walking, but also for spotting. I don't care how the beam looks against a wall - I want the maximum functionality in real-world situations - and can't see reducing the valuable throw for a marginal improvement in what is already more-than-adequate spill.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this is going to be P1D CE Rev2 ... may please fenix also consider adding a Clicky and UI as Low, Med, High .... :)

fireboltr

Enlightened
i would love an l1d-ce with thin texture myself with the levels in the proper order low-med-high this med-high-low junk just ruins your night vision

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
fireboltr said:
i would love an l1d-ce with thin texture myself with the levels in the proper order low-med-high this med-high-low junk just ruins your night vision

......but im not buying anything else until we get to the bottom of the current issue :dedhorse: david i hope we can talk and address what is happening and find some sort of mutually pleasing arrangement

call me tuesday morning or email me and I'll get back to you tuesday :)

javafool

Enlightened
fireboltr said:

Since I use medium on this flashlight most of the time, the current sequence of modes makes perfect sense to me. In the same respect, I am 60 years old and have never in my life needed a flashlight with SOS. I guess this proves you can keep some of the people happy all of the time but never all of the people happy all of the time.

I think Fenix is doing an excellent job listening so they please the majority of the people with their product.

martonic

Enlightened
I also prefer low-medium-high, and would drop the strobe and SOS modes entirely, given the choice.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted to keep the current reflector. The throw on this light is awesome for it's size and the spill is already really good and bright. I'd rather not trade any throw for beam smoothness. I rather see them offer an inexpensive beamshaper similar to the surefire ones.

I'd like to see the grip improved, the light is a little slippery to me. Maybe a slip-on textured rubber sleeve that can be used when desired.

Last edited:

LightBright

Enlightened
One of our readers took the head apart, backed off the ORIGINAL reflector a 1/4 turn, and the Dark Ring disappeared. I'm surprised Fenix hasn't looked into this. A replaceable reflector would be nice so each person could have the beam they want. For a slip-on textured rubber sleeve, try some slices of shrink tubing.

I don't need the SOS. I would rather have: Very Low, Low, Med, Hi and a Clicky switch or better fitting threads on the head. The Low setting that it has now is a bit too much.

Mike abcd

Enlightened
martonic said:
I voted for the current reflector.

The P1D - CE already has excellent spill. Its good throw makes it very useful outdoors not only for walking, but also for spotting. I don't care how the beam looks against a wall - I want the maximum functionality in real-world situations - and can't see reducing the valuable throw for a marginal improvement in what is already more-than-adequate spill.

I fully agree. The present spill is extremely useable and I find the "white wall" ring in the current P1D CE has absolutely no impact on useabilty in actual use.

Their engineers should be changing the sequence to low-med-high instead. Low is extremely useful for the majority of use, medium handles 90%+ of the remaining situations and high is only needed in rare cases as the difference is almost imperceptable from medium except in long range throw.

Having to go through medium and high is a terrible choice in a high output light like the P1D CE. In something like the L0P SE the current lmed/high/low is far more acceptable.

Mike

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Sorry to be short but here it is; I voted to leave the reflector alone. Don't sacrifice throw for some lame make-problem. I probably won't buy the light if it ends up with a diffusing texture.

PB92

Newly Enlightened
I agree Martonic, I don't use my P1D CE to find sheetrock screws/nails or cobwebs on a wall, I use it in the real world. Therefore, the current reflector is fine. Of the modes, They are fine. Being a U.S. Marine I have witnessed first hand the usefullness of a strobe and a SOS in a light. The first time a situation goes from ok to FUBAR and you are all alone, you will wish you had a strobe or SOS, those who live out in the boondocks can relate. But it's good to see Fenix is willing to resolve any issues that arise with their products.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
PB92 said:
Being a U.S. Marine I have witnessed first hand the usefullness of a strobe and a SOS in a light. The first time a situation goes from ok to FUBAR and you are all alone, you will wish you had a strobe or SOS, those who live out in the boondocks can relate.

Anyone that goes camping, boating or driving in remote areas can relate. Time to start a new thread....

atm

Enlightened
Light texture looks good, but of more interest to me would be low-med-high as others have said. A lower low would be cool too.