* P60 Flashlight List {host}

bushido-sig

Newly Enlightened
This would be a budget build. I want to mount it to a rifle. It needs to be robust enough to withstand the recoil and be reliable but cheap enough that I don't mind leaving it on my rifle.

I prefer a single stage clicky with a momentary on option. Simple build for a simple function. Oh yeah, I don't want it to be so cheap looking and functioning that it will annoy me looking at it.

Thanks.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
Best host for a drop in?

If I'm going to buy a drop in, like an Malkoff or Dereelight for example.

Does it matter what host I use? I'm thinking of a 2 cell Surefire (don't want any bigger light)

Does it matter if the host Surefire is a led or a incandescent flashlight?

I have been looking at the Surefire P6, G2 and C2 (or led version). Will the performance be about the same with the drop in, whichever light I pick out of these?

DonS2346

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best host for a drop in?

You can't go wrong with a 6P. If you are going to use a dropin there is no need to spend the extra bux for the led version.

kurni

Enlightened

P6, G2, C2 incan (not LED) will host Malkoff / Dereelight without any difference. You can take off the head of the incan version and the inside of the head will come off; then put in your Malkoff / Dereelight. The inside of the LED version however won't come off like incan; there will be no space for Malkoff / Dereelight in the LED version.

Cheers,
Kurni

stitch_paradox

Enlightened

6P would be a good choice if you have some more money to spare then I suggest go with the C2. I would never get any other drop in host except for a SF.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened

P6, G2, C2 incan (not LED) will host Malkoff / Dereelight without any difference. You can take off the head of the incan version and the inside of the head will come off; then put in your Malkoff / Dereelight. The inside of the LED version however won't come off like incan; there will be no space for Malkoff / Dereelight in the LED version.

Cheers,
Kurni

Oh, I didn't know that you can't use drop ins with Surefire led lights.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I'm pretty sure the 6PL will accept drop ins just as readily as the 6P-incan.

IMHO you should base your host-decision on the battery type you plan on using. The 6P and 6PL are not bored out enough to accept an 18650 cell for example, so you are limited to 16mm diameter cells. I am not certain if a 17mm diameter cell will fit.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened

I'm pretty sure the 6PL will accept drop ins just as readily as the 6P-incan.

IMHO you should base your host-decision on the battery type you plan on using. The 6P and 6PL are not bored out enough to accept an 18650 cell for example, so you are limited to 16mm diameter cells. I am not certain if a 17mm diameter cell will fit.

I will use CR123.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened

6P would be a good choice if you have some more money to spare then I suggest go with the C2. I would never get any other drop in host except for a SF.

Would there be any difference between them except for the looks?

harddrive

Enlightened

Don't worry you can. Kurni's information is not quite accurate. The surefire LED lights that use the P60L module (such as 6PL, G2L etc) are the same as the original one but with a removable LED lamp instead of a removable incandescent lamp. Basically any surefire that uses a P60 lamp or P90 lamp or a P60L LED can use a Malkoff/Dereelight/DX Led drop in.

The surefire LED lights such as E1B, E2DL, L5, L2 ect have a LED head that is not compatible with P60 sized lamps.

This thread has all the info about host lights:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/186661

kurni

Enlightened

Don't worry you can. Kurni's information is not quite accurate. The surefire LED lights that use the P60L module (such as 6PL, G2L etc) are the same as the original one but with a removable LED lamp instead of a removable incandescent lamp. Basically any surefire that uses a P60 lamp or P90 lamp or a P60L LED can use a Malkoff/Dereelight/DX Led drop in.

The surefire LED lights such as E1B, E2DL, L5, L2 ect have a LED head that is not compatible with P60 sized lamps.

This thread has all the info about host lights:

I was about to mention about my generalisation of "led" version could be misleading. Thx for the correction.

bezel

Newly Enlightened

If you get a 6PD, it comes with a clicky which, if you want one, is cheaper than buying seperately.

If you think you would like to wear the ligh on the belt most of the time, the C2 comes with a decent clip. You could always retrofit a clip to a 6P, but that would be an extra expense and research + would not be covered under SF warranty. Clips break sometimes.

Just some thoughts.

bezel

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast

I favor the C2 as is w/ twist-on tailcap. Or you can go w/ an HA Z48 click-on.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened

I might have gotten my hands on a Surefire 6P Defender. Sp are the Malkoff M60 or the Dereelight the best thrower for this light? Any other contenders?

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

For the 6P form factor without the 6P price, look into the Cabela's 6P clone. There's a thread in the CPF Marketplace 'Good Deals' forum on how you can get one.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened

So the host isn't that importent? As long as the drop in fits?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Sig Sauer, there are many P60 hosts, I have several.

Overall my best P60 host/chassis is the Dereelight CL1H...:thumbsup:
It has a super HA III coating, its well heatsinked and uses a forward switch.

Alan at Dereelight gives great customer service.

Also, take a look at my P60 Flashlight List: