P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

chris626

Newly Enlightened
I just got my DX M-CE. im running it in my 6p with a 17670 AW cell. Its bright but i think i was just expecting more. i am happy with it. the hole in the middle isnt even noticeable when you use it. it does light up a lot though.:twothumbs

Spence

Enlightened
Re: Need help finding my perfect P60 type led

Go to deal extreme.com and check them out. I've bought drop ins for my SureFires there and I've had good luck with them. I just bought a couple of Q5 R2 LED drop ins for my G3/9P and 6P/G2 and they are really bright with excelent throw of 100 yards and they were under $20. They offer both single setting and multi mode drop ins. Since he ships from China, it takes a little longer to get your purchase but
it's free so that takes some of the sting out of it.:rolleyes:
popcorn.gif

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: Need help finding my perfect P60 type led

@ionizedsky

The rule of 2 applies... Lumen brightness, run time, small size. You can have any TWO, to get all 3 something will need to be sacrificed.

So you are looking at around 90 minutes of run from a pair of RCR123 cells, enough lux+lumens to reach 100+ yards and light up a moderately large room. I can't think of any drop in that meet all these criteria.

A malkoff M60 will kind of do it, but you are only going to get ~45 minutes of run time. Same goes for a DX11836 or DX17593, and note that these are more spot-throwey than the M60. If you go this route my suggestion would be to carry backup cells to extend run times. Its not ideal but it will get you there. You could extend run times for any of these modules by switching to a 9P body and using 2x17500 cells, that should get you around an hour of regulated run time, or you could use a solarforce 1x18650 body + their 1x18650 extension. That would allow 2x18650 for really long run times.

If you need to retain th estock 6P size, a malkoff M30, or DX11074 will boost run times to about 1:30 (if you use a trustfire 2400mah cell). But you are going to have to mod your 6P for 1x18650 use. The fore-mentioned Solarforce 18650 body will do the trick.

Last edited:

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
Recommend a drop in for 9P

I am looking for a bright P60 sized drop-in that will take full advantage of the 9V of 3 X 123A's in a 9P host. What drop-ins would you recommend that would be the brightest in that particular setup. Most of the info that I have found by reading various threads mainly deals with brightness and runtime, etc. in a host with 2 X 123A's or a single 18650. I can't find much on what would be the brightest with 3 X 123A's. I am looking for a good combination of spot and flood.

Marduke

Flashaholic
3xCR123 will not be any brighter than any of the 2xCR123 P60 style LED modules.

In that format, I suggest running 2x17500 instead.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: Recommend a drop in for 9P

I am looking for a bright P60 sized drop-in that will take full advantage of the 9V of 3 X 123A's in a 9P host. What drop-ins would you recommend that would be the brightest in that particular setup. Most of the info that I have found by reading various threads mainly deals with brightness and runtime, etc. in a host with 2 X 123A's or a single 18650. I can't find much on what would be the brightest with 3 X 123A's. I am looking for a good combination of spot and flood.

P60 drop ins are buck converters, they drop Vin down to Vf to power the LED. So additional voltage does not make them brighter. Additional current is what brightens them, so long as Vin is at or around Vf (3.6V).

For the 9P, I'd go with 2x17500, and a ~1.2-1.4A drop in thats optimal for this voltage level... Malkoff M60 comes to mind immediately. Come to think of it... an M60 in s surefire C3 with 2x17500 cells would be a GREAT setup, although the M30 still remains my fave malkoff.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Heads up...
I'll have a DX MC-E tomorrow, along with a Derelight smooth reflector!!!

I will be on vacation for a week so I will not be able to post impressions for a week... unless I can find www access somewhere.

WOOHOO!!!

:twothumbs

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heads up...
I'll have a DX MC-E tomorrow, along with a Derelight smooth reflector!!!

I will be on vacation for a week so I will not be able to post impressions for a week... unless I can find www access somewhere.

WOOHOO!!!

Enjoy:ironic: Only problem I've found with that drop-in is that it doesn't transfer heat to the body of my Solarforce L2 terriby well stock. So the light would be mildly warm but if I opened up the bezel the module was very hot. After wrapping in aluminum foil though it transfers to the body very well.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Enjoy:ironic: Only problem I've found with that drop-in is that it doesn't transfer heat to the body of my Solarforce L2 terriby well stock. So the light would be mildly warm but if I opened up the bezel the module was very hot. After wrapping in aluminum foil though it transfers to the body very well.

thanks for the heads up, I'll carefully monitor temps. I plan on using it on LOW quiet a bit. DX really botched up the reflector on this one. Although those heat insulating ridges probably steers them clear of a malkoff patent violation.

When I get back I am going to try some AA and a fine grade file to fill those pesky air gaps.

IMHO foil wrapping is a great way to improve thermal conductivity.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I ordered a KD MC-E drop-in for my L2M...to run off of (1) - AW IMR16350

I'll post some pictures/beamshots/ceiling bounce comparisons...etc...

I think the KD is identical to the DX version....just cost a little more. :shrug:

Oh well, wanted to be the first to try it... :grin2:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
DX MC-E is in... No chance to do any thorough evaluation yet.

This is the actual module that MrGman measured at 350L and 150L.

With a white trustfire 18650 it draws 2.35A on high and .80A on low in an Ultrafire 503B host. Which is considerably more than I think other members are measuring. I am not sure what current it delivers to the LED though. It is very bright though... on high it makes my 1.350A XR-E DIY modules look dim by comparison.

dscn5650.jpg

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
Those current draw measurments look promissing, certainly better than the previous reports. I would guess your's is probably brighter than MrGman's measurement of 350 and 150 lumens. Do you feel this is the case?

I hope this isn't one randome fluke module. It would be great if this is the result of a change to the driver.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kramer... that Ultrafire of yours looks like an exact clone, contour for contour, knurling, etc. to the Solarforce L2.... it sure looks like the same company is making the bodies/heads/tailcaps! Perhaps there is just a single company that makes the product and sells them under two (or more) of their own brand labels. Or, a single company makes the flashlights and then sells these exact same products to Solarforce, Ultrafire, etc. I wonder if anyone here really knows what the scoop is.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Those current draw measurments look promissing, certainly better than the previous reports. I would guess your's is probably brighter than MrGman's measurement of 350 and 150 lumens. Do you feel this is the case?

I hope this isn't one randome fluke module. It would be great if this is the result of a change to the driver.

I don't really have anything else at these lumen values to compare it with, and I think his measurement methods are very accurate. My current measurements probably are not too accurate too.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Kramer... that Ultrafire of yours looks like an exact clone, contour for contour, knurling, etc. to the Solarforce L2.... it sure looks like the same company is making the bodies/heads/tailcaps! Perhaps there is just a single company that makes the product and sells them under two (or more) of their own brand labels. Or, a single company makes the flashlights and then sells these exact same products to Solarforce, Ultrafire, etc. I wonder if anyone here really knows what the scoop is.

It wouldn't surprise me if they all came from the same sub-contract fabricator in China. With different levels of machning/finishing quality from brand to brand.

I don' t think we'll ever really know for sure though.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly can't see all of these China & Hong Kong (yes I know it's part of China, but they seem to prefer to differentiate themselves) based light companies having their own factories for machining their products - the capital outlay for that would be immense.

aesix

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dereelight 3SD Q5 burned (almost)

What battery did you use? 6V or 7.2? or a single 18650?

Sober

Newly Enlightened
What P60 sized drop-in will have the best throw? More than 100 yards? A runtime of 20mins will be fine, batteries can be either 18650 or 2x 16340's.

Regards

kramer5150

Flashaholic
What battery did you use? 6V or 7.2? or a single 18650?

What P60 sized drop-in will have the best throw? More than 100 yards? A runtime of 20mins will be fine, batteries can be either 18650 or 2x 16340's.

Regards

Trustfire white 18650, DX:12397

bigchellis gave me a Deerelight smooth P60 reflector IMHO it increases throw over the standard OP types sold at DX. This reflector paired with any 1-1.4A driven Q5 XR-E will be about as much throw as you can get in a tight budget. AFIAK BOG and I think deerelight sell far throw versions of their modules.