P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

GreyShark

Enlightened
I'd like to get a single mode drop in that outputs about 20 lumens of flood for a very long time on 2 CR123's. The idea is I already have a really bright thrower for my 6P and I'd like something dimmer with a longer runtime for use up close that can live in an SC1 carrier when I go on a trip somewhere. Is anybody aware of such a thing?

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P60 Drop-ins?

Are there any companies that make P60 drop-ins that measure out their lumens from the front like surefire does rather than at the bulb?

Actually it would be impossible to do a real out the front measurement that would apply because there is more in play than just the module. They could measure out the front of the module itself which would take into account reflector losses. That still doesn't take into account what the actual losses imposed by the lens and bezel (with say an assault bezel that extends into the beam pattern).

Surefire has the advantage of controlling all the variables when they measure. The best an individual module maker could do would be to specify a separate combination of elements. Imagine looking at 3 modules and comparing OTF 6P lumens on one module to OTF Dereelight CL1H lumens to a third spec'd in OTF Solarforce L2 with assault bezel lumens. :thinking::sick:

J Smyth

Newly Enlightened
I have always liked Surefire Flashlights and way back I bought 4 of the original 6P's for mine and my family's car glove boxes for emergency use. Then came along the Gladius and I got a few of them and now like the LED's better for everyday use because of the more white light output. I am pleased to see the new drop in LED's come out for the 6P's. :D I just ordered a Malkoff M60 because of this thread. Just wanted to say Thanks for all the good info in here, much appreciated everybody. :twothumbs

Now is there any tailcap choices on the 6P with the Malkoff M60 drop in that will give you multiple choices like a dimmer light choice or a strobe feature or are your options just the one output at 235 Lumens? :thinking: I see some other tailcaps that do have those functions but they said it doesnt work with the LED. Inquiring minds gotta know. :grin2:

Thanks in advance, Jim

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now is there any tailcap choices on the 6P with the Malkoff M60 drop in that will give you multiple choices like a dimmer light choice or a strobe feature or are your options just the one output at 235 Lumens? :thinking: I see some other tailcaps that do have those functions but they said it doesnt work with the LED. Inquiring minds gotta know. :grin2:

Thanks in advance, Jim

have alook around...there has been a fresh thread ttiled somethig like "malkoff + surefire + mizer" where the starter has tested the Mizer tailcap with good success.. I have doen the same with the G&P Ai switch though it is not recommended for quality reasons

J Smyth

Newly Enlightened
have alook around...there has been a fresh thread ttiled somethig like "malkoff + surefire + mizer" where the starter has tested the Mizer tailcap with good success.. I have doen the same with the G&P Ai switch though it is not recommended for quality reasons

Yep, here's the thread, Thanks :thumbsup:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218475

Ordered 2 of the Lightsavers today. :D

s.duff

Enlightened
So how do you guys think the options Lighthound has in stock compare to the Lumensfactory models?

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid I'd like some advice, too, please:

I'm thinking about selling my BOG Q5 Premium Plus (well, it's now on sale on CPFMP...) because apart from the fact I haven't used it much the tint is too very cool for my liking these days.

I'm looking for an alternative with a less cold tint (doesn't mean I need it to be "warm", but that would not be bad, either), good beam quality (negligible Cree rings), as well-as no-nonsense single stage operation, no gap or contact issues fitting my C2 and rock-solid reliability. Must run fine on 2*Cr123 and 2*R123.

Oh, yeah - before you suggest a Malkoff M60W, I can't see myself spending $60 on a drop-in.

So I've been looking at Lumens Factory (R2 select tint) and Dereelight (1SM-2 5A Q3 w/OP) offerings. Will these do what I'm looking for? Any thoughts/suggestions? Or am I just much better off waiting until I can face paying $50 - for a Malkoff...?

Thanks!

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened
In fact extensive use of the search function has allowed me to have most of my questions answered... :ohgeez:

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Re: Dereelight 3SD Q5 burned (almost)

My 3SD burned last night when I was jogging with my girlfriend. It had brownish center even when it was new but yesterday it got really brown. I guessed right when I looked at the emitter: brown spot...

I don't think it was because of overheating. It was -9°C outside and 6P's body has always been warm after some use. The module is 9 months old so it doesn't have warranty. I already ordered WF-501B camo with R2 WC from DX and replace emitter from it. Cheapest option was Q5 WC with 14mm base from Shiningbeam or Solarforce R2 drop-in, but maybe I'll find some use for UF camo body :).

Picture number 4 is underexposed to show how the beam looks in a real life.

naps.poks.3SD.1.jpg

naps.poks.3SD.2.jpg

naps.poks.3SD.3.jpg

naps.poks.3SD.4.jpg

Did you buy from Flashcrazy, Dereelight, or someone else? The first two might want to take a look at it just to see what went wrong. What kind of batteries were you using? I know that a lot of people like using RCR123's in their P60 sized lights but that can't be the case of you were using it for months. Though what you describe sounds like what other say happens if you use too high a voltage in the digital pills. I've never tries it for fear that my pill goes :poof: but maybe there was some voltage issue even if you were using one 18650?

Get in touch with Alan or Jay. They definitely know their products.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Re: Whats the Brightest P60 LED drop in Module?

The M60 is not designed to run on 1 cell (3.7 volts), you should be using the M30 with an 18650. Running the M60 on 1 cell puts it in direct drive mode and you are only getting ~160 lumens instead of the rated ~235. Call up Gene and see if you can send it back and get the M30, or start using 2 cells (7.4 volts).

From their site:

M60
"The input voltage is 3.8 - 9 volts. Below 3.8 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive."

M30
"It was designed specifically to fit SureFire 3P, 6P, 6Z, C2, M2 and G2 flashlights WITH A SINGLE LITHIUM RECHARGEABLE CELL."

"The input voltage is 1-5.5 volts."

Would this hurt either the dropin or the battery? I just got mine yesterday and it's such a BEAUTIFUL beam profile. I've never seen one that nice.

Last edited:

highseas

Newly Enlightened
Could someone please recommend a multi-mode (or adjustable) P60-sized drop-in that has a high of more then 150 lumens, and a low of less than 30 lumens? I have been trying to get one that will have the best of both worlds, so to speak. Right now I have a Solarforce R2 5-mode drop-in whose low is still too high for me (short runtime). I want something like this one, EXCEPT that the low can last more than 10 hours.

Does such a drop-in exist?

Thank you in advance.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
highseas you are caught not having done your homework! :ohgeez::thinking::naughty:
See at the start of the thread for the derrelight 3 stage modules.

I have one and while I do not know the low setting lumens I can tell you taht is right pretty low. a bit more than my Rexlight and Fenix LOD low...

Have a look at my sig for the link to my measurements file...

enjoy, kostas

highseas

Newly Enlightened
Great, thanks. I somehow overlooked those. (I did look through the list, but didn't spot those). 100% 50% and 5% sounds like a perfect set up for me.

I was checking out the review (found on this thread) about the adjustable module: 17593 (on DX). It seems to be just what I have been looking for EXCEPT that it only has one mode, so I can't set it to, say, 5 lumens, 50 lumens, and then maximum.

Is there any module that resembles 17593, but which is able to be both adjustable and has multiple modes? (3 or more)

I saw two other adjustable modules on this threads, but it is said that they either don't work well with CR123s, or that it is no longer an adjustable one on DX.

Any help in helping me find a multi-mode adjustable light (with a really low, low, like 17593) which works with CR123 will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Last edited:

Hammer Train

Banned
I'm looking for a warm tint drop in with a very low low and a decent high, - 2 levels of output ideal but would take 3/5 or 0-100% ramping? any ideas?

Last edited:

Hammer Train

Banned
Peter, it seems that this would work for you:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17593

It only has one mode, but it allows ramping. It has a very low, low also. It is perfect for me except that it doesn't have multiple modes! (It only has one mode, despite the description)

Hmm, looks good - thanks! Not sure if the tint is warm enough though - 'WC'? Are there any really warm 'Q' bins available?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hmm, looks good - thanks! Not sure if the tint is warm enough though - 'WC'? Are there any really warm 'Q' bins available?

There is no such thing as a 2 mode module with high and a low-low that ramps. Closest thing are the DX 0-100 ramping modules. But as mentioned they are single mode only. Another alternative is a single mode module that drops out of regulation and runs DD at lower voltages. Combine that with the sandwiche-shoppe 2-stage resistor'd switch. I haven't tried it though, so I cant verify just how low it really is, and I am not sure how efficient it is compared to a moderately efficient low mode module.

IMHO DX17593 is VERY warm tinted at its lowest setting(s)... very yellow with a strong hint of green. It starts to whiten around the 10 Lumen point. So the color tint is very pleasing IMHO. Its the PWM that kind of annoys me:crazy:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
What I meant was EITHER 0-100% ramping OR 2/3/5 mode - I can see how it may have looked like I was looking for something that doesn't exist! Are the 3-mode 5A Q3's any good from Dereelight?
http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

oh... LOL sorry I miss-read that a little:p

One thing I find with the 17593 is it takes far too long to ramp up from low to high output. So its very impractical if you want to go from say 5L to 170L, its takes about 12 seconds to go from one extreme to the other.

Its a great nightstand type of light though because the low modes are within reach quickly, especially with a SF forward momentary, and its yellow tint is easy on night dilated eyes.

Hammer Train

Banned
There is no such thing as a 2 mode module with high and a low-low that ramps. Closest thing are the DX 0-100 ramping modules. But as mentioned they are single mode only. Another alternative is a single mode module that drops out of regulation and runs DD at lower voltages. Combine that with the sandwiche-shoppe 2-stage resistor'd switch. I haven't tried it though, so I cant verify just how low it really is, and I am not sure how efficient it is compared to a moderately efficient low mode module.

IMHO DX17593 is VERY warm tinted at its lowest setting(s)... very yellow with a strong hint of green. It starts to whiten around the 10 Lumen point. So the color tint is very pleasing IMHO. Its the PWM that kind of annoys me:crazy:

Thanks for the info. If it wasn't for the PWM I probably would have gone for this one despite the warm tint only being at low levels of brightness. It's mainly the tint I am concerned with - at all levels of brightness if at all possible. The Q3 5A has a warm tint I believe? Any other ideas anyone?