P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

manoloco

Enlightened
Re: Confessions of a Cheap Drop-in Junkie...

If you are really passionate about trying, modding, testing, experimenting with them to me the fun and investigation more than overweights the price of them.

if you were to just put them in a drawer and forget about them, then i would say you have a consuming problem (because almost all cheap drop-ins definitely lack collecting value), but thats definitely not your case.

its good to have something you like and have good-easy access to it, enjoy!

Btw if you are going to give some away i have a cheap P60 Host and a 18650 that would love trying them! :D specially amber colors, but would take any!

I cant say i have that bug nor the money to support it really, but some cheap drop ins are really good, i have a manafont 3 mode XM-L drop in thats really good.

I only have 3 drop ins in total: a Nailbender XM-L, a Malkoff M60 and the mentioned Manafont one. the only cheap one was the Manafont, but its really good in use.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shao, I had a good long laugh reading your post. Very funny. I admire a man who is willing to admit that he's weird, and make no mistake about it, you are definitely, certifiably, and undeniably, weird... which of course is why you fit in so well here :).

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, since you have trouble resisting things with really low prices...and like fixed blades that you can also throw...you might like the Cold Steel GI Tanto. Heavy, tough, throwable, cheap. You should be able to find dozens of places selling 'em for under 30 bucks (such as amazon).
Here in the UK , it is illegal to have a fixed-blade knife ... It is also illegal to have a folding knife over three inches blade length ... It might even be shorter than that ... Lock knives are classed as fixed-blades ... I have several in a drawer that cannot be taken outside the house as they are all overlength and locking ... I clean them regularly then give a sigh as I put them back in the drawer.

I always used to carry a lock knife at work as it was so much safer to use and wouldn't close unexpectedly when in use ... There were always parcels that needed to be opened ... I don't know what people use nowadays , possibly a more dangerous Stanley knife.

All my hunting and skinning knives were sold when they were still legal ... That was after I sold my .308 rifle , so there was no longer any need for the skinning knives ... At the moment , I have a very nice "letter-opener" ... It is a Zwilling J.A.Henckels , 32320-130 (5") twin point , friodur , ice-hardened ... That's what it says on the blade and it is on my desk , ready to be used for any letter opening ... It is really a kitchen knife.

In the UK , it is illegal to injure a burglar or thief ... It is illegal to even hold him till the police come ... Injured burglars frequently take good people to court and win ... A wealthy man in Manchester is at present in jail awaiting trial for stabbing to death one of two burglars who broke into his house ... I must admit that I would rather be charged with murdering a burglar than the other way round.

Good , honest people in the UK seem to have no rights.

The law favours the burglar and any others committing illegal acts.

Tiggercat

Enlightened

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since we're talking drop-ins, especially cheap vs. quality:

What are the quality drop-ins? It seems people speak highly of Nailbender, but are there others? I'd really like a Solarforce L2P, but want a high quality drop-in for it.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tig,

Malkoff is one of the best. NB of course, also Thrunight, DereeLight, Lumens Factory, OverReady [Moddoo], Kerbose. I know I'm forgetting others but they will get mention by others w/ better memory.

CheepSteal

Enlightened

My problem is I have two Surefire hosts and only one P60 LED dropin (I broke two trying to experiment). I keep going back and forth between my 6P and my Z2. Every few days I'll be late for university because I NEEDED (OCD much) to change the host to suit my mood. I'll intentionally just sit there changing the head (only one has a SS bezel), the dropin, battery bumper, 2nd tail O ring (They both have it, but I prefer the thicker one on the EDC host; again OCD), battery and then making sure everything is ship shape and 100% functional before I leave. I have terrible terrible OCD.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

the first step is admitting it. hehe

and besides, your at CPF! we can relate to strange addictions.
I actually wouldnt mind having a full spectrum of colored LED drop-ins.

Hehe.. yeah, I do feel better now.. Especially hearing that I'm not alone... and colored LEDs are fun... no two ways about it!!!

I am a dropin addict. I have way too many of those damm Nailbender white cardboard tubes! Dropins are like shoes or purses that women carry. You always need a different dropin for every role.

I feel better that I'm not alone... :D ...and I agree... I mostly USE my expensive drop ins, but some of the cheap ones fill a role that the more expensive drop-ins can't (for instance, I really like those XP-G R5/5mm dual LED drop-ins that they sell on Manafont.)

If you are really passionate about trying, modding, testing, experimenting with them to me the fun and investigation more than overweights the price of them.

if you were to just put them in a drawer and forget about them, then i would say you have a consuming problem (because almost all cheap drop-ins definitely lack collecting value), but thats definitely not your case.

its good to have something you like and have good-easy access to it, enjoy!

Btw if you are going to give some away i have a cheap P60 Host and a 18650 that would love trying them! :D specially amber colors, but would take any!

I cant say i have that bug nor the money to support it really, but some cheap drop ins are really good, i have a manafont 3 mode XM-L drop in thats really good.

I only have 3 drop ins in total: a Nailbender XM-L, a Malkoff M60 and the mentioned Manafont one. the only cheap one was the Manafont, but its really good in use.

I have so many that I lost track of them months ago... I do agree, that manafont Ultrafire 3-mod XM-L is handy and so far hasn't dropped its emitter yet!

My only problem is my OCD wants me to have a host for every drop in and that becomes a problem.

Same here... a host without a drop in is a sad thing to me... I'm very borderline OCD... I like to keep all of my lights loaded and ready to go for when the SHTF...

Shao, I had a good long laugh reading your post. Very funny. I admire a man who is willing to admit that he's weird, and make no mistake about it, you are definitely, certifiably, and undeniably, weird... which of course is why you fit in so well here :).

Thanks! That wasn't the purpose though - I was trying to see how many other CPFers share the same problem! ...and I'm not weird! Everyone else is!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since we're talking drop-ins, especially cheap vs. quality:

What are the quality drop-ins? It seems people speak highly of Nailbender, but are there others? I'd really like a Solarforce L2P, but want a high quality drop-in for it.

I only trust my life with Malkoffs... They're the only drop-ins that haven't failed me, and I've abused a few as well...
Every Malkoff I've tested has passed my 870 00 buckshot trial, while most cheap drop-ins simply start falling to pieces after 6-9 shots (emitter falls off, driver PCB snaps loose, etc...)...

My problem is I have two Surefire hosts and only one P60 LED dropin (I broke two trying to experiment). I keep going back and forth between my 6P and my Z2. Every few days I'll be late for university because I NEEDED (OCD much) to change the host to suit my mood. I'll intentionally just sit there changing the head (only one has a SS bezel), the dropin, battery bumper, 2nd tail O ring (They both have it, but I prefer the thicker one on the EDC host; again OCD), battery and then making sure everything is ship shape and 100% functional before I leave. I have terrible terrible OCD.

Yeah, I do the same thing... but I have ton of parts, lights, and dropins in my personal collection, so sometimes I get carried away legoing things together, will look up at the clock, and realize that I've been swapping parts around for 2 hours... Yesterday I came up with an idea - I wrapped all of my favorite personal lights up in bandanas and bubble wrap, stuffed them into a CountyComm bug out bag, and put it at the top of my closet... I'm hoping the out-of-sight out-of-mind trick will work...

Anyway, I think admission is the first step towards recovery... I don't have any royal blue drop-ins though... Hmmmmm....

Last edited:

CheepSteal

Enlightened

Hahaha, good luck with the outtasightouttamind thing. That wouldn't work for me, I was on vacation and only brought my 6P host and I would space out sometimes thinking that I really really really wanted to use a combatgrip right about now.
I finally pulled the trigger on a NB P60 with optics in WW, hopefully it's similar to the standard P60 incan, but brighter. Might help with the whole lego problem, I can just pick the host I want and go!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hahaha, good luck with the outtasightouttamind thing. That wouldn't work for me, I was on vacation and only brought my 6P host and I would space out sometimes thinking that I really really really wanted to use a combatgrip right about now.
I finally pulled the trigger on a NB P60 with optics in WW, hopefully it's similar to the standard P60 incan, but brighter. Might help with the whole lego problem, I can just pick the host I want and go!

Call me weird, but I wouldn't feel right leaving the house without at least two lights!!! Heck, I even carry a flashlight to the grocery store in the middle of the afternoon...

edited

Last edited by a moderator:

CheepSteal

Enlightened

Call me weird, but I wouldn't feel right leaving the house without at least two lights!!! Heck, I even carry a flashlight to the grocery store in the middle of the afternoon...

I guess I'm weird too, I always carry my Surefire with me wherever I'm going. Beach, supermarket, whatever else!

I recently got back to trying to mod my two broken P60 dropins, I swapped the driver from a burnt out P60 to a warm white P60 with a faulty driver. Felt great doing it myself and making it work. I think I'm going to start making my own P60 dropins just like you, Shao. I think I might start becoming a P60 hoarder too...

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm starting to want more drop-ins now that it looks like a p60 headlamp host is really happening.

I understand the limitations of the p60 but where else can u get such up to date performance?

Also, many of the vendors push the emitters much harder than mainstream consumer lights ie 4sevens etc.

d26 FTW!!!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got a quad xpg on the way
A dual Linger module
An sst50 nb which I might replace w XML
A nice copper x-re behind an Ahorton aspheric
And a simple single mode xre 1.4 in a smooth as an all around light.

Guess I'm covered for now ...

nastysanchez

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, Looking to figure out if it would be possible to run a xpg drop-in in my SF-G2 Nitrolon incandescent My concern is it being a plastic/polymer body & head. The lens @ the bezel has already started to melt with the incan. Also, where as it is an incan model do I need to do any other mods to get a led drop-in to work?? The driver & what not should be all with the drop-in, correct? I've seen a huge variety of cheap drop-ins & I've been extremely tempted to just buy one. I know in life you get what you pay for. The solarforce drop-ins have been begging me to purchase them.. are they decent or am i gunna get ripped:scowl:?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yer probably ok with anything 1.5a max or lower. The solarforce drops r probably fine - I'd get a 3 mode so u can bump it down to med if it feels too warm but I'd bet it's ok.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I would agree. Either don't run it a long time at a use, or get something you can throttle down. THAT said I only have ONE multi mode drop and I can't remember what it is that does not have irritating lower modes. Most of my multis have slow enough PWM to drive me crazy!

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened

Every Malkoff I've tested has passed my 870 00 buckshot trial

May I ask what light mount you're using on your 870? I have a plastic Streamlight mount on mine, that wraps around the mag tube and secures with 3 little allen bolts and nuts, but upon installing it and tightening the bolts, 2 of the 3 bolts started to crunch the plastic. I haven't even taken it to the range to test, but I'm already sure the thing would not make it through a whole day of 00 Buck.

Here are my P60 hosts:

• Surefire 6P Original (with B serial number, slight purple anodizing)
• Surefire 6P Defender
• Surefire C2 Centurion Black

My P60 Drop-ins:

• Thrunite XM-L low voltage 3-mode
• Malkoff M61HCRI
• Lumens Factory HO-4

My preferred setup is the C2 body and clip, Defender bezel and clicky tailcap, and Malkoff M61HCRI, running on 2 CR123A primaries, with an AW17670 as backup.

I also just ordered some extra tailcap O-rings, to try and further weatherproof my P60 lights, and a Solarforce L2-S6 forward clicky tailcap. I just can't get around to loving the Z41 tailcap.

Siggyhk

Newly Enlightened

Hi. I'm wondering if I could use a Malkoff M61L in a Full Nitrolon G3.

Aside from that, what's a good choice for a 2-3 mode "cheap" drop-in to use instead in the G3? Thanks.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone tried the new Lumens Factory High CRI XPG drop-in? I just got the parts from Craig for an XPG High CRI Q2 then heard that LF is selling a Q5 version! Any chance of a few comparison beamshots??

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

so the Malkoffs are the best then, huh?

would a Malkoff M61 need much or any modding for fitting in a solarforce L2 host?