P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

kzb

Newly Enlightened
You are prob comparing lux numbers. A 300 lumen p60 will have a brighter hotspot than a 800 lumen. The smaller leds focus better in a small reflector, so the hotspot will be brighter (more lux), but will have less overall output (lumens).

Hi Jorn I've been slightly more scientific than that. I've aimed both lights at the same position of the ceiling and alternated switching them on and off, while staring at the walls. I agree it is difficult to judge when you have different hot spots and beam patterns. However I can say the drop-in is less bright in the ceiling reflection test than my 320 lumen Olight, and about the same as a P7 Led Lenser (170 lumen). The beam range is slightly better for the drop-in versus the Olight, because it has a more focussed hot spot, but no better than the LL (which you can focus).

I am wondering if it is something to do with the driver in the Ultrafire 501B body. Maybe it can't supply enough current?

GlocksRock

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a drop in for my older G2 Nitrolon that will maintain constant output and not dim as the batteries deplete, which ones do that, if any?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a drop in for my older G2 Nitrolon that will maintain constant output and not dim as the batteries deplete, which ones do that, if any?

AFAIK, most drivers will dim off after prolonged usage & it's a good sign for us to change the battery soon.

As for the G2, get a drop in that won't produce too much heat if not your host might melt.
I personally like the XML series of emitters, so I'm using a XM-L driven at 1.4A in my G2 with a single 17650 & aluminum bezel.
So far so good...

If not, get a Malkoff with a "L" or more..
The standard & high output versions are not recommended..
But still, their dropins will have a slow drop in light output after prolonged usage.
I also have a M61WL in my G2Z, so far so good.

- JonK

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in a cheap XM-l drop-in. How are the solarforce U2 drop-ins?

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Although the only dropin from Solarforce I had was a 1-4.2V XPG 3 Mode I guess I can comment on how SF dropins work. 3 mode 3V dropin was unique for its price and was quite bright and clean too. The only downside with it was that it had an apparent PWM on its lower modes.

I am also thinking of getting one 9V XML dropin from Solarforce. I believe there will be PWM again as T1 and T2 lights I recently got from them had a low frequency PWM on lower modes. Still, would be a decent one unless you want the highest output available from it.

Intl Outdoor has a new dropin with its own QLITE 8x7135 = >3A driver with selectable modes including moonlight mode. It can have cool-neutral-high CRI options and then have latest Xml2 emitters. I have one on the way. It is only a 4.5v max dropin, though.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the insight. I want something that can run 2xcr123 so I am primarily interested in the solarforce drop-in.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
I'm interested in a cheap XM-l drop-in. How are the solarforce U2 drop-ins?

They are fine and plenty bright, with a tight hotspot with the smooth reflector. I get the 2.7-9V for folks at work who want a decent budget light. In an L2M, L2P or L2T body. Seem comparable to my three mode Ultrafire T6 dropin, and my two mode Intl-outdoor (the driver in which I find plenty annoying...)

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I really would like to hear your thoughts on PWM in these 9v Solarforce dropins. My T1 has a low PWM frequency on low. I'm happy with the high output mode in fact.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Maybe a heads up, I just got my single mode 3-18v SMO XM-L2 drop in from KaiDomain. It was around $8.50 so a very inexpensive one. I must state here that with the help of adjusted SMO reflector on this drop-in and a well made focus, this is the most throwy XML dropin I've ever had. Works decent with a single cell lithium ion but much better with 2xCR123 or 2X18650. Draws around 1.2A with two 18650, so I guess only 2A max on the emitter. Still has a very balanced economy for a single mode light.

---
Kokopelli, Istanbul, Turkey

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is there a good very inexpensive xpg2 p60? I would prefer a 2 amp high and a low of some kind. I don't want medium but would tolerate it. Anything with blinky modes excluded even if it is free! My favorite voltage choice would be 2 - 6 volts.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a good very inexpensive xpg2 p60? I would prefer a 2 amp high and a low of some kind. I don't want medium but would tolerate it. Anything with blinky modes excluded even if it is free! My favorite voltage choice would be 2 - 6 volts.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

DIY if you dont mind. Or look for Vinh, he will hook u up with something that will match ur needs.

- JonK

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Trying to decide between a Nailbender mule vs. Mac's Customs Tri XP-E2.

My host is a 26650 Cooly from Varooj.

The light will be used in a 4x4 for camping, boating, etc.

I currently run two other Cooly's one has Mac's Tri XPG, and the other is Nailbender's 90+ CRI both awesome.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to decide between a Nailbender mule vs. Mac's Customs Tri XP-E2.

My host is a 26650 Cooly from Varooj.

The light will be used in a 4x4 for camping, boating, etc.

I currently run two other Cooly's one has Mac's Tri XPG, and the other is Nailbender's 90+ CRI both awesome.

Both have very different purposes.
If i were you, I'll go for the mule since u should be cover in the throw aspect.
The mule would be a very great close range tool & with a 26650, it should last you pretty long.

- JonK

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Thanks Jon....I can't decide if I need another Flood(have a couple of EDC's)

Tonight it was super windy in the yard and a tree came down...it was the FM85 I grabbed. Part of me wants something geared towards more throw with lots of penetration.:eek:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^
My dedomed XML2 module Vinh made me with a SMO reflector throws quite well.
It's still a buncha lumens too.

Red Leader

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone seen an XM-L2 P60 as a low-voltage drop-in? I'm looking for something around .8-4.2V that could handle AAs as well. I remember seeing something on Thrunite in their webstore but then that option disappeared.

Thanks!

SDmtnbkr

Newly Enlightened
What's a good p60 drop for a two primaries (CR123's) light that? It will be mostly for outdoor camping use so the brighter the better!