P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just heard via email from Tod at illuminationgear. He mentioned that he saw my post and that what is needed is a double tap to change modes, otherwise the dropin thinks you just want a momentary.

The instructions on the website state: "To toggle brightness levels, simply switch the light OFF and ON after turning the flashlight ON." Then I guess when the flashlight is on and the other mode is needed, a double click is warranted.

He's a good guy, mentioning also that SportTac calls the second mode low, not the medium that I called it. He says it is 20% and that's what it looks like to me. I am used to low modes being 1% or so. I will try the double click method tonight. It is in a 2X18650 Oveready host with a McClicky switch.

I will also check to see if the dropin has previous-mode-activate when turning back on.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK the dropin works great as long as you know a quick double-click changes mode, either from off or on. I will provide a link to an illustrative video when I get a chance. Well done EagTac and IlluminationGear!

pc_light

Enlightened
Of all my P60 dropins the Eagletac/Sportac 2-level Triple sees the most use. Has substantial brass body construction. It's an original Triple Nichia 219 (from 2013/2014?)

Recommended.

edit -
Original version apparently not programmable. Current measured at battery using 1x18650 are ~0.38A & 2.8A.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
One minute, thirty second video showing rapid double click to change modes on the illumination Gear, SportTac (EagTac) P60 dropin sporting the good color rendering SST-20 4000K emitter. Note that the mode when turned off, is the mode that comes on. Clearly, opinions are split regarding mode memory. It is just fine on a 20% 100% 2 mode as far as I'm concerned. The $39 price makes this a good value, high quality product. IlluminationGear also offers Osram (thrower type emitters), Luminous SFT40 cool, and neutral XPl Hi.

The Google Photos app requires a viewer to click on the play icon (upper right) to hear and see the video.

Last edited:

lebox97

Enlightened
Do these new sportac modules get ride of the annoying mode memory?

Hi Buck.
Please explain.
if you don't want mode memory ~ (and prior to the new V2 just introduced) stick with a 1-level P60 module.
otherwise, the 2-level circuit is pretty basic ~ it simply remembers the last level used.
ie it becomes a 1-level if you never actually change the output level.
(problem is we forget what level was used, unless you consistently/primarily only use one of the levels). ;)

Cheers
Tod

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I just read the lebox97 post after adding details to the previous post with the video from last night. Seems like a person will use this dropin primarily on one or the other modes, and it is easy to do a quick double click to change if needed.

Note in the video that our 12 year old son with the old XML dropin from Nailbender years ago had issues getting to the mode requested. It is a 3 mode in a SolarForce golden brown host with a PFlexPro lens.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Buck.
Please explain.
if you don't want mode memory ~ (and prior to the new V2 just introduced) stick with a 1-level P60 module.
otherwise, the 2-level circuit is pretty basic ~ it simply remembers the last level used.
ie it becomes a 1-level if you never actually change the output level.
(problem is we forget what level was used, unless you consistently/primarily only use one of the levels). ;)

Cheer

Well, I like two modes- in fact thats becoming my favorite. But I don't like last mode memory. I want the light to come in on the same mode regardless of what was used last. Think of the Surefire 6PX Pro UI- always 2 mode Low then High. Somehow, and it must just be a me thing, when I have mode memory its always left in the mode I DONT want. Nothing worse than turning on a light which you *thought* was in low mode to move around the tent at night just ot be blasted by 1000 lumens.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

SporTac V2 - triple Osram

Got in a new SporTac V2, the fact you could get it with an Osram was enough to give it a go.
Over the last several years, all the new emitters have been good, but the little Osram units have been super impressive.
The small die size makes them perfect for throwers & I prefer more of throwers,,
but in a usually floddy triple configuration,, hmmmmm needed to find out myself.

Lets just say it works really well, you have the smooth spill w/o a distinct boundary, but there is a usable hotspot.
It's not a thrower, but a very functional overall beam.

Hi/Lo mode change works the same as the older ones & I haven't changed the programming.
Using a tint filter at the moment, but the cool tint works well outside.

The one thing I really wanted to find out was the Low Voltage protection.
Using a 26650 host (not if that really matters.) the voltage protection came in at 3.26V and stepped down,,
no flashing ect ~ just a step down to a noticeably lower output.

Neat little drop-in.

-_-

Almost forgot:: tried it with a Malkoff Hi/Low bezel ring,, the V2 wasn't happy with it,, gave it a try though👈

Last edited:

hamhanded

Enlightened
Have any beam shots? Sounds nice overall but I think the LVP sounds like it kicks in a little high, no?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got in a new SporTac V2, the fact you could get it with an Osram was enough to give it a go.
Seems I just snagged the last Osram triple in single mode. Hopefully the website is correct that they actually have one.

Thanks for your post. It finally pushed me over the edge as I've been jonesing for another triple for years since my first Sportac mysteriously died soon after I bought it. I wasn't aware it was available with this emitter, so I went for it based on your review. It'll be my first non-Cree light since dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

I'm excited about this. It will go in a bored 6P, and be directly compared to a Viking Pro XP-L for picking up dog poop at night. Will post a review with pictures. 🤣

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Can you guys recommend a low voltage drop-in for running 2xAA? I sold my Malkoff M30WF some years back and still miss that thing. I prefer flood over throw and 4500k is my favorite tint. Runtime would be more important to me than brightness in this particular case. Thanks for any tips!

fulee9999

Enlightened
Can you guys recommend a low voltage drop-in for running 2xAA? I sold my Malkoff M30WF some years back and still miss that thing. I prefer flood over throw and 4500k is my favorite tint. Runtime would be more important to me than brightness in this particular case. Thanks for any tips!

M31LL 219B? probably runs for 3-4 hours on a 2xAA

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
The only 3-volt drop-in that is not backordered is the M31 219B. Combine Malkoff's durability and warranty with McGizmo's reflector, and arguably the greatest high CRI emitter ever created I can understand why they are not in stock.:D

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens factory does rate their low voltage d26 for 2AA but I haven't used that one yet. Definitely love Gene's M31W, really sets the bar. I wonder how the LF with their warm XPL compares.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Longer than that, depending on the batteries. The M31LL is under 300mA above about 2V, and an alkaline AA is about 1500mAh at that discharge rate, so even alkalines will give you nearly 5 hours of runtime. NiMH or lithium will stretch that even further (nearly double in the case of lithium)

edit to add that the M31 series goes into direct drive when the input voltage equals or exceeds the LED voltage, so I'd be careful about using 2 lithium AA in series for one. There's a good chance that the ~3.4V you get from that battery pair is higher than the voltage a modern white LED wants to see.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you don't want a Malkoff then...

I'm envisioning:
P60 dropin
Tool AA driver that takes AA-14500
219b 4500K
OP reflector + diffuser film

Last edited:

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
I appreciate all of your insight here! The Malkoff M31LL sounds pretty darn good now that I think about it more. Might even backorder an LLL, anyone have experience with the three LLL's?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate all of your insight here! The Malkoff M31LL sounds pretty darn good now that I think about it more. Might even backorder an LLL, anyone have experience with the three LLL's?

May want to double check that'll happen before backordering.
I think there's still LLLL left over from the last group buy.