Peak Eiger 10280 overheat?

DaKar

Newly Enlightened
Hi mates,
Finally I bought a Peak Eiger 10280 as EDC keychain flashlight and I received it a couple of days.
In the first tests I felt the flashlight in full power gets hot in a short time.

After a minute the head is hot.
After two minutes the body is also hot.
After three minutes seems the brightness gets a little down.
After four minutes I worry and shut down the flashlight.

Guys, you have similar problems of heat?, it's normal?.

The configuration of the flashlight is as follows:

Product: 10280 - Peak Eiger
Options: Body - 10280 Short Key Lug - Knurl SS
Engine/Head - Small Optic - Nichia 219 CRI
Levels - 1. Gen 2 QTC (multi level)

Thanks a lot!

Imon

Enlightened
It's a very small flashlight.
I have a Eiger 10180 and it heats up quickly as well.

That should be expected though and, in fact, it's a positive thing. You want there to be efficient heat transfer from the LED to the body of the light. Unfortunately the flashlight is simply too small for effective heat dissipation.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
+

At the levels needed to generate that much heat, a 10280 won't run very long. The configuration is intended for intermittent use at full power. For regular 5+ minutes at full power, better to use a larger configuration.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider my Eiger 10280 to be a backup light, to be used primarily in an emergency. They are capable of high output, but with such a small mass, I like to keep the output to the lower end, finding keyholes and reading maps etc. I use my EDC for most everything.

Also keep in mind that what you did could have fried a similar sized light. They are well built. But the physics of thermodynamics can't be fooled.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the opposite. My Eiger 10180 is my primary light and is always in my pocket. Output below high is great for walking in the dark, finding keyholes and reading. When I need more light or more throw or significant runtime, then I go to my bigger lights.

Conducting heat away from the led is a good thing. My favorites are the Maratac cu AAA and AA running on 10440 and 14500 Li-ions, respectively. The whole body warms up.

Last edited: