Petzel Tikka XP + Rechargeable AAA?

marxs

Enlightened
Im getting confused...on the one hand the website says its a no-no, others have used it ok, and my manual says i can use rechargeables...what gives?:huh2:

chris_m

Enlightened
Does the manual really say it's OK? The official line from Petzl seems to be it's a no-no, due to the fact it is unregulated and so relies on the internal resistance of the cells. In reality I suspect a Tikka XP may be OK provided you don't use boost mode as the normal current is so low, but personally I wouldn't risk it.

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
marxs said:
Im getting confused...on the one hand the website says its a no-no, others have used it ok, and my manual says i can use rechargeables...what gives?:huh2:

Cut and pasted from the Tikka XP manual on the Petzl website:

Batteries
Use alkaline batteries or NiMH rechargeables.
Do not use the lamp with Lithium batteries; due to recent advances
in their performance characteristics (especially their higher output
during discharge), they can cause the lamp to overheat and possibly
damage the LEDs.

marxs

Enlightened
my manual says the same thing. i rest my case then...rechargeables it is...unless someone can tell me they have had problems with them before.

chris_m

Enlightened
Checked back, and the warning I remember was actually about lithiums, so I completely and happily retract my previous post!

AndreasB

Newly Enlightened
As far as I can gather the duracell AA is about 1500-1600 mAh.
My Sanyo Ni-MH's is about 2700 mAh, which should give a far better runtime using Ni-MH.

I haven't seen any change in light output when swithing to Ni-MH's.

AndreasB

hank_moon

Newly Enlightened
marxs said:
btw, hows the runtimes using alkalines vs nimh? ive heard the output is really poor using nimh

I've been using SANYO 1000 mAh for about a year...very satisfactory runtimes (sorry, no charts or beamshots).