Petzl NAO - high-tech headlamp review.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey CUE, GREAT news!
Can't wait to see what's under the hood!
Just love mine and it will be great to have an improved version.
Just when I thought Petzl was going too slow with the reactive lighting...

The new model Nao is now out and in some stores. It hasn't showed up at REI or EMS yet for me to purchase so I am still waiting to check it out and possibly purchase it. I have been enjoying the Petzl RXP and R+ headlamps so far. I have tested them against almost all of my other goto headlamps that I own and keep coming back to the multiple beam patterns (Petzl RXP and XP and soon to be purchased NAO) that work independently as well as together with a separate spot light to have the best of both worlds. It has to be experienced, I think, to get the full gist of what I am getting at. Those that own a Nao or Petzl RXP or XP or maybe some of the caving lights would know what I am getting at. There needs to be more lights on the market that gave the multiple beams that work independently or together at "affordable" prices.

Last edited:

hongchai90

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

Is good to know that there is this Petzl Nao user in this forum .
I'm getting mine soon but is the first version of Nao as i don't need high lumens on trail running but long hour battery is a must ..
If i want to mod a extra battery pack from 18650, as i know from this thread Molex 5264-3P and 18650 batt.
for 18650 should i get the protected batt or unprotected later modded in with the NTC Thermistor for the protection purpose ..

your reply is much appreciated.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Folks,

Is good to know that there is this Petzl Nao user in this forum .
I'm getting mine soon but is the first version of Nao as i don't need high lumens on trail running but long hour battery is a must ..
If i want to mod a extra battery pack from 18650, as i know from this thread Molex 5264-3P and 18650 batt.
for 18650 should i get the protected batt or unprotected later modded in with the NTC Thermistor for the protection purpose ..

your reply is much appreciated.

I am interested in this answer/mod as well.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
It's required if you want to charge your cells inside the battery pack, if not the charge option is disabled + the battery pack thinks that you are using alkaline batteries and it drains the Li-ion cell under 3.0V

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's required if you want to charge your cells inside the battery pack, if not the charge option is disabled + the battery pack thinks that you are using alkaline batteries and it drains the Li-ion cell under 3.0V

Any chance you can make/mod me one of these packs so that I can use any/all 18650 that I come across? I read your write up but I am still very unsure if I can build an additional pack to use 18650. I need the help.

hongchai90

Newly Enlightened

means if i solder together with the NTC Thermistor so i able to track down the battery power level that indicate in the Nao battery pack if i do so ?

glatrottola

Newly Enlightened
Hello , is my first post .

A frind of mine here in Italy tell me about this forum becouse i would like to buy a Petzl NAO because i think is a versatile lamp and i can use it during night climb or even in night walking but my question is why there are 2 different model ( E36A and E36Ahr ) ?? there is a lot of price difference between them !
I think i understand that the first model have less lumens and i think less battery.. is that the difference ?

none in the web seems to notice this .

Tnx

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
Hello , is my first post .

A frind of mine here in Italy tell me about this forum becouse i would like to buy a Petzl NAO because i think is a versatile lamp and i can use it during night climb or even in night walking but my question is why there are 2 different model ( E36A and E36Ahr ) ?? there is a lot of price difference between them !
I think i understand that the first model have less lumens and i think less battery.. is that the difference ?

none in the web seems to notice this .

Tnx

:welcome:

I just asked them and according to the Sales & Service Technician who replied from Petzl America, they upgraded the NAO back in July. The non-HR versions are the old models which have lower output. Petzl now only sells the HR version, but many retailers still have old stock they are trying to sell off.

hongchai90

Newly Enlightened
gotten my Petzl Nao but ...

vxxAMPE.jpg

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
gotten my Petzl Nao but ...

vxxAMPE.jpg

Congrats. I would be very interested in a detailed step by step if you order parts/install the new battery setup. A video would work too. :). Enjoy your Petzl Nao.

I am ready to pull the trigger on the new upgraded Nao (575 lumens released in July 2014) but I want to be able to upgrade the battery configuration to the latest and greatest/strongest 18650 batteries and even be able to swap out batteries without having to buy new complete batteries from petzl.

Any help I can get will be awesome.

Last edited:

hongchai90

Newly Enlightened
Thanks .. But i realized the battery they provide to me is the 2200mAh and not the one they advertised in their official site which is the 2300mAh ..

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

glatrottola

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I just asked them and according to the Sales & Service Technician who replied from Petzl America, they upgraded the NAO back in July. The non-HR versions are the old models which have lower output. Petzl now only sells the HR version, but many retailers still have old stock they are trying to sell off.

Thanks , so looking tecnical sheet in the web i think i understand that there are 200 lumens of difference from the e36a old model and e36ahr new model ... and a difference of 40 euros ...

so thank for your help ..

Now i have to decide or to wait that prices go low ..

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks .. But i realized the battery they provide to me is the 2200mAh and not the one they advertised in their official site which is the 2300mAh ..

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Oh man, I didn't even catch that. The 355 lumen version comes with 2300mah battery and the 575 lumen version comes with a 2600mah battery. Are you going to try to get them to send you the correct battery or will you just keep it as it is and try to possibly upgrade the battery to the 3400mah 18650?

hongchai90

Newly Enlightened
Well, i can't do anything now but only can send petzl an email to clarify on the battery capacity matter ..
now i still got less than 4days to test the headlight before my ultra trail marathon on this weekends .. My setting will be 8hrs on reactive mode .. To play safe i already purchase few pack of energizer lithium for backup .. I guess the 18650 battery modding only start after i order the molex connector thru online .

Ggmesquita

Newly Enlightened
I got the new version as well and have modded it the same way the old one was (Szemhazai's mod - see first post) The emmiters are now Nichia 219 and the battery is 3400mAh. Love it! This version drives the LEDs a bit harder indeed. When comparing both modded units, the new one is visibly brighter and has a nicer beam pattern.

There is one thing I would like to ask you guys though: I am starting to think the NAO's battery packs might suffer from parasitic drain. Even when disconnected from the headlamp. This is just a something I think I am observing. Can't tell for sure yet, cause I only started measuring yesterday. In 10 hours, mine went from 4.035 to 4.019. I will continue to measure in the next days. If you have the time, would you please do the same? Leave it disconnected from the headlamp and measure the voltage every day. You don't have to open the battery pack for that, just use your DMM and touch the correct pins in the plug, from the outside.

Why do you think they leave the battery disconnected from the battery pack when new and it is you who have to connect it before the fist use?:thinking:

I hope I'm wrong.

Gg

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the new version as well and have modded it the same way the old one was (Szemhazai's mod - see first post) The emmiters are now Nichia 219 and the battery is 3400mAh. Love it! This version drives the LEDs a bit harder indeed. When comparing both modded units, the new one is visibly brighter and has a nicer beam pattern.

There is one thing I would like to ask you guys though: I am starting to think the NAO's battery packs might suffer from parasitic drain. Even when disconnected from the headlamp. This is just a something I think I am observing. Can't tell for sure yet, cause I only started measuring yesterday. In 10 hours, mine went from 4.035 to 4.019. I will continue to measure in the next days. If you have the time, would you please do the same? Leave it disconnected from the headlamp and measure the voltage every day. You don't have to open the battery pack for that, just use your DMM and touch the correct pins in the plug, from the outside.

Why do you think they leave the battery disconnected from the battery pack when new and it is you who have to connect it before the fist use?:thinking:

I hope I'm wrong.

Gg

Congrats on modding the light. Any before and after pics of the beam/output?

Is the battery drain you are experiencing on the modded battery or the default battery from Petzl or it doesn't matter and happens on any/all battery packs?

Last edited:

Esko

Enlightened

It surely looks like there is some parasitic drain when connected. My Nao had been unused for some months and the battery was completely empty.

hongchai90

Newly Enlightened
Completed my first 100k Ultra-Trail Marathon with 5600m++ .. tested Petzl Nao 2012 version for this race, i can say marvelous .. maybe the correct setting put me thru these 12hours of darkness ..
with 8hours of Reactive lightning setting, it lasted me 12hours with 2 power bar left .. and i was accompany by my friend who also using the same headlights ..