PF6 - NJ, NY, PA, etc., area Get Together

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sturluson said:
It sounds as if a terrific time was had by all, and I'm really sorry it was a thousand miles away from me!

Now...

will someone PLEASE post of a photo of the Spy005 in action? :popcorn:

Hey Sturl! :wave:

I don't even HAVE any photos of the Spy005! But I did get to play with a pre-production unit plus some earlier prototypes, and I can tell you they're really cool. The darned thing's got the best, silky smooth HARD anodizing I've ever seen! Tried to get Data to tell me his secret but was only partially successful. :p

I learned what will no doubt be my favorite technique: what I'll call the Bic lighter flick technique! Hold the Spy005 upright and flick your thumb to the right (I'm left handed)... the light makes a pleasing multi-click sound (because you're cycling through the levels) and ends up at or near max output. Very cool! I was a bit concerned about destroying the switch but Data tells me it should take it just fine.

Note that I said WILL in the first sentence of the above paragraph... yes, after seeing the Spy005 in action, I ordered one, too! :D

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill, the third pic looks to be the USL... there's only one other light I've ever seen that lights up an ENTIRE field, width as well as length, the way a freshly-charged USL does... and that one's Tweek's Husky spotlight modded with 3x9x18650 LG cells driving (from memory) a 500 WATT bulb! And Tweek wasn't at PF6. :eek:oo:

As for the fourth pic, the beam color (much cooler than incans) and range (not as far as the HIDs) lead me to believe it might be the very first photo of the M180 prototype in action. :)

Now for all you folks that didn't make it to PF6, you might be asking, what is an M180? It's the baby brother in a family of lights I'm currently building (small run of 'em will be available for sale), heh heh... :naughty:

BTW, none of these photos show someone defeating The Black Hole! You guys were hitting the NEAR stand of trees, not the FAR stand, which is on top of the hill behind. Take a look at this annotated daytime photo from a couple summers ago...

img-pf6-black-hole-anatomy.jpg

MUUUAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :laughing: :p

bwaites said:
Thanks guys!!

Looking forward to the rest.

The white/blue of the top two is almost certainly a HID.

The third is a HID + USL or Mag85 or M6 maybe?

The fourth looks like 2 HIDS or maybe a HID and some atmospheric reflection above it?

Bill

mrichelo said:
PF6 was my first, and it was alot of fun. I was OVERWHELMED by the sheer volume of lights gathered in one house. Thanks to everyone that attended and brought cool lights I've never seen before (alot.)

Special thanks to Scott and his wife and children for hosting us for the day and night!

I brought my camera and tripod and took alot of pics, not all of them are great. but some came out pretty good. I rezzed some of the best down to a postable size. If anyone wants higher rez pics, PM me.

BTW, I've havent posted pics here before... so... this might take more than one shot.

Regards,
Mark

These are from the "Black Hole"

img5816web0bp.jpg

img5817web1ka.jpg

img5829web2ju.jpg

img5831web7ge.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Data said:
Milky traded his new creation (M360+1) for one of my SPY005 lights. I hope he gets on here and spills the beans soon. I want to show it off. :whistle:

Dave

Well, yours is not QUITE an M360 as there production driver circuit isn't in there, but the output level is pretty much comparable.

Ah, what the heck. Show 'er off, Dave! :thumbsup:

dragoman

Enlightened
Milky - there were no pics taken, but both of the 35w HID lights (lasercrazy and Walt's) lit up the top of the hill no problem.

They easily defeated the black hole, too bad no one got a picture.

I don't think we had the Blitz over there, but it would have as well.

dragoman

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say that the top of the hill looks like it is 1/4-1/2 mile away and my Costco HID lights up a water tower that far away fairly easily.

That BIG reflector throws.

Bill

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Playing around with the brightness and contrast of the last Black Hole beam shot enough to bring out the stars in the sky reveals not one but 4 different lights. Three on the first row of trees and another up higher on the back row of trees, it must be the "M" project :D

BlackHole.jpg

Least it looks that way to me :candle:

Later
Kelly

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good work Sway! I see one of the big guns did get recorded. There was one HID light that put out sort of an "X" shaped beam. I bet that is what you see on the lower trees.

Milky's light that I came home with is a LUX3 direct drive with six emitters. It has 6 AA NiMH 2250mAh batteries set in a very nice 2D custom holder. Its best attribute? It's bright, white(great bin) and very well made. Till I get my triton charger from the USL project, I will run primaries in it. I do not know yet what the current from the primaries will be but I will test it and report back. I will get some pictures of it posted soon.

Scott, you need to start a thread somewhere about your new lights. :poke:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My too frequently vague, recollection from the USL proto I shipped to PF4 (and joined it there) was defeat by the near tree line. :( (That doesn't mean I don't still love mine, but that is one serious Califon Black Hole!) When -7 time rolls around, I am going to seriously goose lotsalumens and Short_Arc to make an appearance! nyuknyuknyuk. :D

Larry

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello to all,

I wanted to get a feeler out in this thread, because I know a bunch of us are still monitoring it closely, so give me some feedback here. This is what I'm thinking...

How about a camping trip? I'm thinking we could make it at one of the State parks in the general area. Off hand three come to mind, Hickory Run State Park in PA, or High Point State Park, or Stokes State Park in NJ.

I'm thinking a Friday night, Saturday/night, and Sunday. So two nights, or if you can only make it for one, or if you don't want to stay over night, then you leave whenever.

The cost would be minimal, probably under $20 a night per guy. Everyone would be responsible for there own food/drink. If you don't have a tent you can get one on sale at Wallmart for $29.99, or buddy up with someone who has a tent.

Time frame... I'm thinking late September, which will be good camping weather, and give everyone enough time to plan to make it.

So this is a feeler, let's hear what you think, and if there is enough positive feedback I'll start a new thread for it.

--Tim

:twothumbs EDIT: We have enough inital interest on this, and have started it's own thread. So from here on out please refer to the thread topic: Camping Get Together (NJ, PA, NY, CT area).

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Hickory Run is very nice, and the choice I was leaning towards. I've been there several times, and enjoyed it every time.

Walt175

Enlightened
Data, the X shaped beam was my Thor 10,000,000. The HF AND Costco easily made the second tree line. The Thor made it as well, but not as brightly. It might be the one on the lower tree line in that pic. On it's low beam it put out a sort of U shaped beam.

It's way to early for me to make a comitment for Sept. Right now it's a definate maybe!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick mention: the "stars" visible in the liquid sky photos (such as the one below) are reflections of the green laser off shell casings on the quarry floor!

img5880web5zp.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just shipped back bwaites and Sway's lights. :crying: Was thinking about keeping Sway's Blitz, but in the end decided he'd probably notice. ;)

THANK YOU gentlemen... all your lights were well received! Also showed me how far I truly have to go to reach the levels of your masterpieces!
:bow: :bow:

One other note... the missing GatLight Ti v2 finally arrived... on TUESDAY! And now it's gone once more, sent back to Kyle. Jeers to UPS on this one... the package was clearly marked S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y in HUMONGOUS black letters... and yet they missed the delivery... AND missed Monday's delivery, too! What the heck happened!?! :rant:

Doesn't make me want to ship with UPS anytime soon! :mad: