PIC-O-PWM (POP) micro-P DIY & Video

cgpeanut

Enlightened

Kevin,

When I did the Q3 mod the wife took the digital camera so no pics on the q3 board and stupid me I potted it, I'm still looking for the digital camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The IMS reflector is a bit taller than the stock reflector so you may want to shorthen that ring. But to be honest, I think the stock reflector is good enough, not much gain with the IMS and a lot more work. I wanted to replace the plastic lens that's why I did it.

I added a p-channel fet IRLML6401 for reverse polarity protection in the Q3 circuit, incase you place the R123 backwards it will prevent the uPIC from blowing.

DJ & I tested this feature, and it works, Placed the R123 in there for more than 30mins, flipped it back, no problem.

Also the LDO chips I used are in DCQ package like this:

dcq-1.jpg

A lot bigger I wanted to use all the real estate in the Q3 board.. Pin outs are different from the sot-23's DJ sent you so component layout will not be the same.

Since the Q3 board is bigger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif you can place the components more to the center that way the aluminum ring sits flat.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3

CG:

I was planning to use the stock PCB from the Q3. It seems as the stock board is totoally flat so by nature of design, of the battery was flipped around, it should not conduct if the contact for the bottom of the battery is indented. Anyways, maybe i'll look into a FET as well. Thanks.

I found i have this SOT. Circuit looks the same as your PMOS but the limits are different. Do you think this will work?

http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/BSS84.html

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not bad! I know what I'll be reading at lunchtime today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

cgpeanut

Enlightened

Finally got some time and modded me an Arc-AA using the POP, did some tweaking with the circuit to make if nice and bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

arc-aa_1.jpg

Low Mode:

arc-aa_2.jpg

High Mode

arc-aa_4.jpg

Survival Mode:

arc-aa_3.jpg

This will be my next EDC until I make another POP out of a solitaire using tonyb's micro lens as in this Q3 with POP.

q3_1.jpg

q3_3.jpg

Beam shot of the micro lens with high dome using the q3 survival mode setting shows a square but broad hotspot, no side spill at all.

POP Arc-AA/AAA or solitaire will make a good match using this micro lens IMHO.

vacuum3d

Enlightened

Nice looking ArcAA.

I finally got time to put together another POP. This time, the circuit behaves much better. I definitely had soldering problem in the first one. Now I need to find another empty Arc AA head to replace my bad POP with.

ernest

cgpeanut

Enlightened

Why thanks vacuum3d /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif you can bend the uPIC pins and solder directly to the LDO chip, The trick I find usefull is apply flux to the joints then, cut a tiny, tiny bit of solder and pick it up with the soldering iron, then solder the joints. You only apply the right amount of solder to the joints and the flux helps adhere the joints together and prevent some solder sticking someplace else. I also used wire wrap to solder hard to reach and delicate places they bend easily and last longer than conventional wires.