Pics of HD EcoSmart 65W (Cree Cr6) light engine

SemiMan

Banned
Without seeing it closer, it looks like those may be variants of XTEs, not XGP, or XPE on the newer ones based on the phosphor which does not look conformal. On a lumen/$ basis, the XTE is Cree's cost leader in this range of LEDs, but they work better in a diffused implementation like this.

I wonder why they changed the dimming profile in terms of color temp? I will be doing a basement renovation soon and was looking at going this these, though I may still mix these with something more directional as it is also the home theater room.

Did you measure the LED voltage to see if they are series or parallel connected? I would have assumed a series of white and red, but if one of them went out when dim, perhaps that is not what they have done.

Thanks for the updated info, makes my buying decisions a bit easier.

Was at HD today. New Ecosmart CR6 is rated at 625 lumens, instead of 575. Same 9.5 watt power draw, and same price. Also available in 5K temp, in addition to the usual 2700. They had the 5K version stocked over by the can lighting. Of course I just bought 4 more of the 575 lumen lights a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously- 5k? Oh my god. I didn't think they'd EVER go to market with something like that.

Can you get a photo of the box with the energy guide on it? I'm not doubting you- just want the SKU so I can find it at my HD.

The only 5k units I knew used the 'true white' which was a different engine than the old style, green/red LED based.

This is SO awesome.... even though I really don't have a place to put it.

skowalski

Newly Enlightened
Was at HD today. New Ecosmart CR6 is rated at 625 lumens, instead of 575. Same 9.5 watt power draw, and same price.

Went to HD today and saw 1/2 625 lumen and 1/2 575. Bought a bunch of the 625 and installed it next to the 575 tester I put in last week. Model name is still ECO-575L.

In daylight they look very similar, I don't know that I can tell the difference. Maybe it will be more apparent with shadows at night. Is there a more scientific way for a laymen to measure light output/quality?

photo3vdj.jpg

The mechanism for locking the light into the can is much cheapier:

photo1gj.jpg

The new box is green:

photo2uh.jpg

Here is a look at the light engine on the 625 lumen, seems the same as before:

photowim.jpg

The unit itself feels discernibly lighter than the older version. Less metal for the clips is part of it, but I don't know if there were other internal changes. The grey housing that was removable before no longer has screws holding it in place.

Last edited:

creebaby

Newly Enlightened
Went to HD today and saw 1/2 625 lumen and 1/2 575. Bought a bunch of the 625 and installed it next to the 575 tester I put in last week. Model name is still ECO-575L.

In daylight they look very similar, I don't know that I can tell the difference. Maybe it will be more apparent with shadows at night. Is there a more scientific way for a laymen to measure light output/quality?

These are really helpful posts, thanks!

Why do you think the new one (green box, cheaper clip design) has a 625 rating when the older one (brown box, more metal on the locking mechanism for the clip) has a 575 rating but seems to use the same engine and both are using 9.5W? I bought one of each and put them up side-to-side and can't tell any difference in light quality, either on full or when dimmed. Have you looked at the dimming performance?

Note: although they are designed for 6 inch cans, the guy at HD told me that they also fit in the Halo H5ICAT 5 inch cans. And so they do, both the new (green box) and old (brown box)! The older ones are a slightly tighter fit as the clips are under more tension. Note that the specs for both say that they fit in a can that is a minimum of 5 3/4 inches wide , and the H5ICAT measures at 5 1/2 inches. YMMV for other can manufacturers.

Finally, if you look at the HD website, you can buy a box of 4 of the old (brown box, 575 lumens) for $119 online only, shipped free, whereas my local HD sells both the new (green box, 625) and old for $35, and doesn't give quantity discounts. :shakehead

skowalski

Newly Enlightened
Why do you think the new one (green box, cheaper clip design) has a 625 rating when the older one (brown box, more metal on the locking mechanism for the clip) has a 575 rating but seems to use the same engine and both are using 9.5W? I bought one of each and put them up side-to-side and can't tell any difference in light quality, either on full or when dimmed. Have you looked at the dimming performance?

I'm no expert on this stuff, but is it possible they're "overclocking" the LEDs slightly? When I use an infrared thermometer on the one 575 lumen I have installed after ~45 minutes, it's 96.5 degrees. The other 625 lumen units I put in range from 98.5 to 108 degrees. Or if this is just standard temperature deviation, maybe the old ones were underrated.

I don't have a dimmer where they're installed so I haven't tested that. I think I slightly prefer the 575 lumen's light quality, but I really can't say why... it's just a subjective feeling when I look back and forth. Slightly cleaner. I may get a few more of the old one to test just to make sure I'm not making it up.

Thanks for the HD website tip!

wws944

Enlightened
Seriously- 5k? Oh my god. I didn't think they'd EVER go to market with something like that.

Can you get a photo of the box with the energy guide on it? I'm not doubting you- just want the SKU so I can find it at my HD.

The only 5k units I knew used the 'true white' which was a different engine than the old style, green/red LED based.

This is SO awesome.... even though I really don't have a place to put it.

Unless someone beats me to it, I will look next time I am over there. They aren't on the HD web site yet.

Update: Well, now it is on their web site. The SKU is #845-656.

Last edited:

wws944

Enlightened
... Finally, if you look at the HD website, you can buy a box of 4 of the old (brown box, 575 lumens) for $119 online only, shipped free, whereas my local HD sells both the new (green box, 625) and old for $35, and doesn't give quantity discounts. :shakehead

Realize that some local power companies, in my case PG&E, give rebates on these in varying amounts. The HD near me has had them as low as $25, but recently went back up to $35 - due to changes in the rebates.

mstec

Newly Enlightened
I can confirm that the 625l model (green box) has a cheaper locking mechanism and has the same SKU as well as Product number as the 575l model (brown box) which reads ECO-575L. I installed an 575L and 625L next to each other, there is no difference on brightness whatsoever. In this case I rather buy the old model with the better locking mechanism. I like to add some pictures but could not find the upload function.

Last edited:

Mustangous

Newly Enlightened
Don't mean to bring up an old thread, but curious about opinions on these two models since they are now clearly 2 different models. Today I was at home depot and they carried both, the green box and the brown boxed version. Both has different sku's and model numbers. The green box is eco-625L with 12.5watt rating and 80+ cri. The brown box is eco-575L @ 9.5 watts and 90+ cri. The green one is labeled as "Builder's Grade". Not sure what that means but I think I'm taking it as cheaper model for contractors. Price is $20 compared to the eco-575l on sale for $27. Also if you were to put this in your home, which would you choose? Think the longevity would be the same?

wws944

Enlightened
I didn't realize they were carrying the new 80 CRI model. Good to know.

I have a bunch of the 90+ CRI - both the older 575 9.5 watt brown box version and the newer 625 lumen 8.5 watt version. I really can't tell any difference between them. And the Kill-A-Watt meter says that even the older ones measure at 8.5 watt power draw.

My biggest problem with them are the 5000K versions. I have had to exchange several because of 'pulsating' light output after a few hundred hours of use. A number of reviewers at the HD web site have had the same experience. All my 2700K versions have been fine.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'd put any of these in my home, I'd go for the high CRI (90+ cri) one first. Of course, among many other things CRI isn't everything. But if you compare wavelength/spectrum graphics for various LEDs with 70+, 80+ and 90+ CRI, one would expect a more pleasing light quality from those graphics alone. I'd expect practice to support that (subjective) expectation.

Of course datasheets != practice. But it's obvious from spectrum charts in what way a low-cri will leave something to be desired...

Latest posts