• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

PK Warrior 1 and 2 passaround

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PK Warrior I and PK Warrior II Review:

Size & Ergonomics

Both lights are definitely large for their respective formats (2xCR123/1x18650 and 1xCR123).

With the aggressive crenelated bezel on both lights, I really wouldn't want to pocket carry either one without a pocket clip. Letting either one ride free in your pocket would surely eat through your pocket in no time.

While it is nice that the Warrior II includes a bezel down clip, in my opinion, the light is just too big for pocket carry. I think that either light would really need to be carried in a holster. Sadly, I wouldn't really want to carry either one in a coat pocket either because again, I think either light would start to eat through the pocket.

The grip on both lights is fantastic! With the knurling and extremely aggressive body design, either light provides plenty of grip and various hold options, including "cigar grip." In addition to the great amount of grip, they also are fairly resistant to rolling on an uneven surface.

For size comparison, here are the two warriors with a few friends. From left to right: HDS EDC 170N, PK Warrior I, SureFire 6P LED, PK Warrior II, Fenix TK32.

ROBERTM-CPF-IMG_9968.jpg

User Interface

Both lights feature the same user interface. Press the rear tailcap switch for momentary activation and press further (click) for constant on. While on, pressing the electronic side switch will switch modes between low, medium, medium-high, high, and strobe (in this order). From off, the side switch provides momentary access to strobe. Both lights also feature mode memory, even after battery replacement.

I kind of wish that strobe wasn't part of the mode selection cycle. I think accessing strobe from off with the side switch would probably be sufficient.

With a few exceptions, I generally don't like mode memory because unless you can always remember which mode you left the light in, it's kind of unpredictable as to how much light you're going to get. But since there is such a wide range of output with these lights, I can definitely see how some may prefer to have mode memory.

When it comes to user interface, the big issue for me is that with side switch being somewhat recessed and pretty firm to press, I found it somewhat difficult to use. It takes a lot of very specific pressure to activate the switch. I could never find a grip that would allow me to quickly manipulate either switch with ease.

In addition, the side switch it pretty hard to locate by feel alone. Perhaps this would change with prolonged use, but in my short time with them, I would either have to look for the side switch or keep feeling around for many seconds to locate it.

Beam Quality

Both lights seem to be more throw oriented for their size and have pretty nice beams. The nice, deep reflectors provided for pretty good throw for reflector based lights. While the beam tint is somewhat cool, there didn't appear be any hint of green or other colors that I could see.

Using photographic equipment and a calibrated white balance card, I made the following measurements:

PK Warrior I - 6,100K
PK Warrior II - 6,200K

Build Quality

Both lights feel very well built and tough. Threads are smooth and well lubricated and the anodizing looks pretty good. The knurling is fairly aggressive and looked well machined. The forward click switch is not overly soft and feels pretty good. I would say the clicky feels better than my Fenix clickies, but maybe not quite as good as most of my SureFire clickies. Yes, I'll admit I'm picky when it comes to mechanical switch feel. :p

Overall

Overall, I like that they feel well built, have nice beams, and have awesome looking bodies. I really like the design and appearance!

Unfortunately, the size of them makes them a bit impractical for most of my uses. I would also prefer more neutral tinted emitters. Additionally, the user interface just isn't for me.

A big thanks to MrMom for doing this pass around which has enabled me to try out both of these nice lights. It's been a lot of fun. :)

I'll be shipping both lights to Crazyeddiethefirst on either Monday or Tuesday of this coming week.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
a few pictures, as I try to put my words into some kind of articulate order...

DSCN9951.jpg

DSCN9950.jpg

DSCN9945.jpg
DSCN9943.jpg
DSCN9952.jpg

in this next photo I included the Imalent DM21, since it too is a tactical light with thumb control.
DSCN9954.jpg

MrMom

Enlightened
Great reviews so far. Well done. I agree with your many observations. Color/optics are first rate IMHO.

Several have commented on the beefy body style. After knowing PK for 16 years now, one gains an insight in his design philosophy. PK designs tend to be artistically radical. The art form emanates testosterone and aggression. In my experience, including his many prototypes, his designs are quite "weaponized". While holding the PK-1 in my hand for the first time I thought that this baby can take someone out and no one will be able to pull it out of my hand. Them bumps integrate securely into my grip.

PK and I have discussed designs over the years. He has poked fun at my 'out on the town' EDC that requires remembering button presses. I have learned to clearly understand the "KISS / Swiss army knife" tactical approach of his creations.

While attending a black tie event, I'll carry my button presser but if SHTF, I'm reaching for the PK's.

Keep in mind that PK usually designs for a multi tool used in tactical and combat situations, not to be our pretty light on the shelf. In a true fight, I want the PK in my hand.

I came across an interesting torture test directed at these lights. Along with the usual assaults, the reviewer even dishes out a few 12 gauge rounds on the flashlights. Take a look at the vid on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSAcNZHbRKg&feature=youtu.be The vid moves along quickly and is not drawn out.

I agree 100% with your observations on the side switch. This is for all lights with side switches. I can't find the darn things quickly in the dark. I do like that the PK line remembers my last mode but PLEASE design a tactile feedback along the entire side of the light with the side switch and make the button more prominent.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you/ how do you like the lights?

Hi SGT253,
Sorry for the slow reply, I actually won tickets to fly my family to New York for game 3 of the World Series(I still can hardly believe it). The lights definitely are a nice additional layer of security when carrying them. I was hoping that using the lights over time I would warm up to the unique User Interface, but thus far that has not happened. I will try to get my reviews finalized and posted so I can get the lights moving on to the next in line.
Ed

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am putting the final touches on my review and will be putting the Warriors into the mail tomorrow to Sgt253. I am so glad I had the lights as long as I did (will include new batteries too). Thanks PK Design/Mr Mom for the pass around, it has inspired me to do two more pass arounds, one with my personal light just so people can try it and a second that has not even been discussed on CPF...

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
PK Warrior I & PK Warrior II Review:
First what the manufacturer says they can do:
PK Warrior I:
LED type: CREE XM-L2 U2 LED.

Functions: 4 Illumination Levels and Strobe Mode.

Output/Runtime:5 lm/375 hrs – 288 lm/5.5hrs – 618 lm/2.6hrs – 1000 lm/2.4 hrs

Peak beam intensity / Beam distance: 23000cd / 300m

Impact resistant : 2m Waterproof: IPX8 standard(under water 2m)

Battery: Uses 2* CR123A Li-ion battery or 2* RCR123A/16340 or 1*18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery

Optic:Aluminum reflector-micro mirror finish Window: tempered float glass-anti reflective coated both sides

Dimension: Length=150 mm.; Bezel diameter=36.5 mm; Body diameter=25.4 mm. Weight: 153g (without battery).

PK Warrior II
LED type: CREE XM-L2 U2 LED.

Functions: 4 Illumination Levels and Strobe Mode.

Output/Runtime:5 lm/375 hrs - 288 lm/5.5hrs - 618 lm/2.6hrs - 1000 lm/2.4 hrs

Peak beam intensity / Beam distance: 23000cd / 300m

Impact resistant : 2m Waterproof: IPX8 standard(under water 2m)

Battery: Uses 2* CR123A Li-ion battery or 2* RCR123A/16340 or 1*18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery

Optic:Aluminum reflector-micro mirror finish Window: tempered float glass-anti reflective coated both sides

Dimension: Length=150 mm.; Bezel diameter=36.5 mm; Body diameter=25.4 mm. Weight: 153g (without battery).

INSTRUCTION

Battery installation is done by removing the tail cap, the positive end of the battery will face the head. Tighten the unit until it's completely closed, then push the tailcap to turn it on or off.
To turn the flashlight off, push the tail cap switch to click. When turned back on, the flashlight will access the mode last used. Once turned off, simply press the side switch and the flashlight will directly go to the strobe mode momentarily.
To switch functions, turn the light on and press the side switch. The mode will change through Firefly – low – medium – high – strobe and then back to the Firefly mode.
Now that you read what the manufacturer said, I am going to give my honest opinion.

Having had a generous amount of time to use these lights, I was troubled at my indecisiveness on how I really felt about these lights. Finally, the light bulb went off(pun intended): these lights are "purpose driven". When I tried to make them fit an EDC or general use flashlight profile, there were areas it just did not work, i.e. They are too bulky with too many sharp crenellations to possibly carry in a pocket comfortably, you have to go past the strobe to get to moonlight, etc.
If I were in law enforcement or the military there is a lot to love-this light is a formidable weapon, able to do some serious damage. The build quality is good, the graphics sharp, and the ability to strike with the front or rear of the light. There is a wide opening in the pattern around the side button to allow you to find it in the dark or with gloves on, although I confess this sounds easier on paper than it is in real life. I ultimately found it easier to wrap my fingers around the body with my thumb on the on off button at the tail of
the light, keeping my index finger on the side switch. This also let me take advantage of the side button press with the light off for instant Strobe mode.

The size of these lights is big, really big. Like trash your favorite jeans the first time you put it in your pocket big. But then I remember, I am not trying to compete wiłh E2e, this is a tactical Weapon. This is for self defense. I remember an AAA light I got that had a glass breaker on the end and thinking the only way it would break automotive glass was if it was pounded with a large rock.
The beam quality is good with a fair amount of spill. The size of the reflectors allows a good amount of throw. No green or ugly tints. I am currently unable to post wall shots, and will hope someone else can. Threads and O rings are well lubricated. I think the Lumen ratings are slightly underrated. In my opinion these are beautiful lights, with very aggressive styling and excellent grip. There was a time in my life when I would have liked to have had these on my person at all times. Now that I am not as physically able as I once was, I would prefer a Glock in my pocket.
For those in Law Enforcement and the Military, these are an excellent adjunct to deter without deadly force. These are a numbered limited edition for those who collect PK's work. Thanks to Powertac/PK/Mr.Mom for the pass around and opportunity to check out

sgt253

Enlightened
I have had the opportunity to use the PowerTac PK Warrior I and the PK Warrior II. Please find following the description of their overall make up, function, and possible uses. I will then list the Pros and Cons subjective to my use of the lights.
Generally speaking, the lights are well finished, have very uniformed anodizing, and lettering that is clearly read. The lights have a certain feeling of heft, which can be attributed to their weight. The two cell PK Warrior II seems to be the equivalent weight of a Surefire 6P. (Hand in hand comparison) Both lights are well textured via their crenellations. It would be hard to drop either of these two, gloved hands or not! Both lights are slightly less "sharp" than the PKFL2 LE. The one cell PK Warrior I is larger than a Surefire L1 (see photo) but not too large to fit my medium sized hand. I like the size. The PK Warrior II is bigger and longer than a Surefire 6P but shorter than a Surefire 9P. I like its size as well.
Brightness is very very good for the one cell light, PK Warrior I, and the two cells light, PK Warrior II. The one cell light is advertised as producing 10 lm/28 hrs - 78 lm/3.7hrs - 223 lm/1.4hrs - 450 lm/0.7 hr. The two cells light is advertised as producing 5 lm/375 hrs - 288 lm/5.5hrs - 618 lm/2.6hrs - 1000 lm/2.4 hrs. The lowest setting on the PK Warrior I appears half as bright as the PK Warrior II to my uncalibrated eye. The specifications state the opposite, that the Warrior II (two cells) is lower than the Warrior I (one cell). Typographical error? On higher levels the Warrior I and the Warrior II seem accurate as to their descriptions. The throw of both lights seem accurate as to the specifications. I lack a formal way to test the validity of the claims. Beam shots of both lights are found below.
The styles of these lights are geared to function over form. The crenellations, heft, and texture are very purposeful in being a tool for law enforcement, military, security, and self defense use. A general, "throw a light in the pocket" there are not.
The only negative for me is the size of the strobe button on the body of the light near the tail cap. I find it to be too small for rapid use. If the strobe setting is there for a situation that may require quick deployment, I am afraid I could not readily accomplish that task given the small size of the button.

The Pros:
• Textured grip
• Finish
• Weight
• Bright
• Throws well (large die emitter)
The Cons:
• Small strobe button

30aggpl.jpg

Size reference pic
4scis9.jpg

Lowest mode PK Warrior I on left; PK Warrior II on right
24mi69i.jpg

Lowest mode PK Warrior I on left; PK Warrior II on right

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
Crud! I posted links to Tiny Pic for the photos and they showed up in thread, argh! I hope they are not too big for the Forum. Any help would be appreciated. I dont post photos often.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crud! I posted links to Tiny Pic for the photos and they showed up in thread, argh! I hope they are not too big for the Forum. Any help would be appreciated. I dont post photos often.
Nope, not crud. Your pictures look just fine.
CPF uses a filter that will down-size posted photos larger than 800 X 800 by default. If You want to just post links to your photos, use the insert link button instead of the photo button. Another useful tip is to use Go Advanced button. You will be able to preview your posts and will allow You only what you want to be posted, WYSIWYG.
Take Care
GL

sgt253

Enlightened
Thanks DrafterDan,
I sent you a PM regarding getting your address. Your turn to experience the PK Warriors! lol.

Regards

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM replied to. Looking forward to it!
I'll do my best to keep to the time limit with possession, might be off a day or two because of the holidays.

~D