Planning a week-long solo backpacking trip

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Darkaway:

(1)A PT Aurora or Petzl Tikka.
(2) A Surefire G2 or Streamlight Scorpion.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I second Darkaway's suggestions. Cost would be secondary to the weight that you would be carrying for a week.

A third suggestion might be:
A Modified light, the Mr. Bulk LGI. I have used this light in total darkness, and the amount of light that this puppy puts out is amazing! In total darkness, this thing is like a light cannon!

Check with Mr. Bulk to see if you can use lithiums AAA's for extended run times.

If you can't get this one (I think he still has some for sale), I would recommend the Streamlight 4AA, 7 LED light. I think they have added an extra resistor, so using Lithium's should not be a problem, but check with Streamlight - they have great customer service. I would prefer a Streamlight 3c, 10 LED light, but the weight of a 3C vs a lithium 4aa, I would probably go for the lighter one.

Also, I would recommend a CMG Infinity, or an ARC AAA, or a Inova Microlight attached to the outside of your pack, by a string or whatever, for when you need a quick light.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Everyone above gave great advice on a flashlight, (or two, or more).

In bear country, I carry five minute road flares. They pack safely and are fairly light weight.

Bears are afraid of fire, and the road flare is one of the fastest way to be holding fire in your hand. They strike like a match,and burn red with sulfur smelling smoke.

I have had ocassion to use the road flare to scare off a bear.

The bear was after our food supply. I lit the flare and tossed it toward where he stood. One "woof", and he was off running.

Just remember when you are forced to use the flare for protection, you are careful not to start a fire.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow $500 for a camping flashlight budget! I say get an action light if it is available. That was highly recommended to the gentleman who posted about his hike up Everest. Then with money left over, get a nice kick butt incandescent like one of the many suggestions here. (I wish Surefire would produce a 3 celled G3). You could throw in a lower powered headlamp like an Aurora as well.

Another possible suggestion if you are not leaving for a couple of months, you could be one of our beta testers for the hopefully soon to be released Surefire A2. Fully regulated incandescent for primary light and three LEDs for secondary light, all in one package with a projected online price of about $150.

Latest posts