Plasma flashlight rids skin of pathogens

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds buildable; anyone have more details?

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/04/plasma-flashlight-zaps-bacteria.html

"... a DC booster to step up the voltage to 10 kilovolts. One output of the booster is wired to the device's shell—or "grounded," in technical speak—while the other goes to an array of 12 fine, stainless steel needles that create a rapidly pulsing electrical discharge. The circuit has several "ballast" resistors that limit the discharge's current so that the flashlight is safe to touch...."

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Plasma Flashlight?

sounds very cool, very expensive, and very likely to blow up and kill you while youre using it if its put together wrong... i want one

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Plasma Flashlight?

Kilovolts can be scary. I've seen stationary plasma cutters (They hiss dramatically) and the safety requirements on their electronics. I bet you could write the scientists and get a circuit diagram. As for the effectiveness, well...I wonder which active oxygen radicals they're making - ozone?

mikkyo

Newly Enlightened

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Handheld plasma flashlight rids skin of pathogens

This is one of the most fascinating new 'flashlights' I have ever seen. Extremely interesting stuff. Truly the wave of the future. :) Here's the article at Ray Kurzweil's (the famous MIT futurist) website: http://www.kurzweilai.net/handheld-plasma-flashlight-rids-skin-of-pathogens

Chevy-SS, I have merged your thread with the existing thread on this topic.
However, I like your thread title better so I've renamed the existing thread somewhat. :)

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened

Interesting concept! But why not get a 15W 6 die 295nm high powered UV flashlight to do the same thing? And get a tan at the same time as well:devil:

T45

Enlightened

Someone just posted that to my facebook page today! Wanted to know if I had heard of it. Ahhh, being a flashoholic....

lafirefighter

Newly Enlightened
As a lifelong germaphobe...this is relevant to my interests. LOL :)

I don't like that they say it takes "minutes" to kill bacteria, but what would kill it in seconds would probably be harmful to your skin.

Canuke

Enlightened
Wouldn't it kill the "good" ones as well though?

Yes, it would. Overall, this device would probably find itself limited to local and topical antisepsis; it is essentially a localized free radical generator/oxidizer (it works on the same principle as the old Sharper Image "Ionic Breeze" air purifiers), similar to peroxide at the chemical level. It needs exposure to air (nitrogen/oxygen) so wouldn't likely be useful internally.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Interesting concept! But why not get a 15W 6 die 295nm high powered UV flashlight to do the same thing? And get a tan at the same time as well:devil:
Or just go outside for a few hours in the sun for free.

cerealkiller

Newly Enlightened

Or just go outside for a few hours in the sun for free.
i agree.......typical office workers really need to get a few minutes of sunshine through out the day..summer is pretty much here, get out a bit =)

fyrstormer

Banned

Good idea for sterilizing surgical wounds, but pointless for everyday use. There are germs everywhere, and if you kill the weak harmless germs on your skin, you make room for robust harmful germs. Where do you think MRSA came from? Hospitals incompletely sterilized enough staph-infected equipment for long enough to naturally-select only the strongest and deadliest staph germs, and now that's the kind that infect people's skin after surgery.