Please help me - give me a reason NOT to buy an INOVA X5 at Target..

tc17

Newly Enlightened
I went to Target mainly looking for the River Rock Lantern (but never found it). I also haven't owned an LED light before.

I tried the Inova x1 they had in Target (the package lets you push the light button to test it). But I didn't like the very narrow blue beam at all. So much so, that I was regretting having placed and order for two of the Fenix L1P lights, thinking they might be the same. However I now feel better about ordering the Fenix lights because the review I read when I got home for the Inova X1 says that it has absolutely no sidespill.

Not sure if the X5 is the same as the Inova X1 or not. Its probably personal preference too.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are near a Meijer store, they have a trio of Xnova's (AA, 2 AA, 3 AA) for $29. No momentary tail pushbutton but similar to the X5, They were in the gun aisle and are Mossberg branded. 5 lights and AA power.

Other stores might have them as well this holiday season.

But then you should get the X5 to compare ;)

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who ya trying to kid???

You know your going to buy one eventually so you may as well end your misery and cough up the dough.

Buy Them! Buy Them All!!!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pellidon said:
If you are near a Meijer store, they have a trio of Xnova's (AA, 2 AA, 3 AA) for $29. No momentary tail pushbutton but similar to the X5, They were in the gun aisle and are Mossberg branded. 5 lights and AA power.

Other stores might have them as well this holiday season.

But then you should get the X5 to compare ;)

Is that a 3 AA or 3 AAA?

How many LEDs in the different lights?

Has anyone tried these yet? We have a Meijer nearby, so I'll check them out sometime soon.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X5(t) has been a hot commodity for some years and was one of the "lights to own" when I was a neophyte member. Isn't it amazing that the reletively old tech X5T is still a great flashlight? It looks like a masterpiece of style and machining. I use mine regularily and is one of my favorites.

Pixel

Newly Enlightened
X5 is the most useless light in my collection. What a poor light :). You better buy two Photon Freedom keychains - same combined brightness, same battery life, better white collor and much smaller. The market is full of similar multi-led models for couple of dollars.
The only thing I like is the quality of the tail-cap thread - what a smooth feeling! I often find myself just screw and unscrew it, screw and unscrew it :).
Now I think X5 will be my first mod. I am going to replace the leds with UV ones - hope this will make it more usefull.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightObsession said:
Is that a 3 AA or 3 AAA?

How many LEDs in the different lights?

Has anyone tried these yet? We have a Meijer nearby, so I'll check them out sometime soon.

All three have 5 leds each. Each takes one two or three AA batteries. The three cell I am guessing is probably Direct drive or maybe a small resistor. The other two use the same converter circuit. The single cell unit is dimmer than the 2 cell as a result. For fun I put a dummy cell in the 2AA unit and the output matched the single cell light. Edges are a little sharp here and there but they seem sturdy enough and with casual play/use the past week there has been no cheap led flicker. While I was in China I picked up a 5 led single AAA unit that looks like it came from the same factory and with a Lithium AAA installed it is slightly brighter than the AA single cell with a Lithium battery.

Since they are slightly smaller body diameter than the X5 the "beam" has a more concentrated center spot but the corona is fine.

pizzaman

Enlightened
"I have a inova x5t that has a ha3 finish"

markdi,

Where did you purchase this?

Thanks, TR

TPA

Enlightened
Can anyone comment on how well the black vs. silver finishes of these hold up? The black X5 looks slick, but I don't want it to become black with silver scratches if I get one & use it like I usually (ab)use flashlights.

tracker870

Enlightened
My X5THA still comes out for battery draining, and in-house navigation.
My wife likes the T finish; holds up well.

Latest posts