PM1 LED NEW STYLE... NICE!

Flashlight Enthusiast
Located and bought a pelican m1 led new style (tail cap switch, fully textured refoector, smaller size).

the verdict? excellent little light. has the superb peam quality of the pelican m6 led, and the switch now allows momentary on and off. fit and finish quality are much better than i've seen in previous pelicans. Output? Average, but at least the beam has a good tint-- warm yellow like an incandescent.

whats more, these lights have serial numbers!!!! like the lux iii pm6 ha models, these have serial numbers on the tail caps.

how does this new style m1 led compare to the old style m1 led? the old style m1 led sucked my opinion says. lousy switch, mediocre reflector (beam quality in the old style was mediocer), and mediocre fit and finish. and for the same output, the new style m1 led is actually smaller--about 1/4th an inch just based of standing them side by side and comparing by eyesights.

this is a winner, low 30$ range with good quality, top notch beam, good switch,. this is a good low priced alternative to the sf outdoorsmen, and peak lights. if pelican makes a ha-3 version of the pm1 led, i think they will make the goldmine. the only area keeping me from giving this a top mark is the finish--it should be ha-3 natural. package ha-3 natural finish and sell this for around $70, and i predict it will fly off the shelves.

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh, if i was gonna give it a rating, it would be an 85/100

if they ever make a version with ha-3 anodize natural, this will bump the rating to 95/100

LiteFan

Enlightened
357 thanks I was looking at purchasing on of these M1 Led's, does anyone know of a 3 watt LED bulb that can be used w/rcr123 in the M1?

Flashlight Enthusiast
before getting a lux iii bulb, make sure the regulator can handle it. i don't know electronics, but it seems to me that adding a more powerful emitter to a circuit set to regulate at the certain power level may be pushing them a tad bit but if it works then that would be a good mod.

LiteFan

Enlightened
357 said:
before getting a lux iii bulb, make sure the regulator can handle it. i don't know electronics, but it seems to me that adding a more powerful emitter to a circuit set to regulate at the certain power level may be pushing them a tad bit but if it works then that would be a good mod.

I was speaking more of a dropin variety. I would have to pay someone to do a M1 3W conversion.

Does your M1 bulb look like it would exchange with a SF 6P LA or even a Pelican M6?

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiteFan said:
I was speaking more of a dropin variety. I would have to pay someone to do a M1 3W conversion.

Does your M1 bulb look like it would exchange with a SF 6P LA or even a Pelican M6?

possibly i've never tried this so i cannot say for sure.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info 357. I've been eyeing one of these since I heard about them (way before they actually got released). Can you take some pics of the new M1 next to the old M1?

easilyled

Flashaholic
I have been a bit put off by the CR123 explosions implicated with
this light (having 2 in series)

For this reason I now prefer lights with single cells (preferably lithium-ions)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
easyled - the PM1 is a single 123A light. You're thinking of the PM6.

Flashlight Enthusiast
dmz said:
Does the new PM1 LED look the same as the old one?

No...

different reflector, different switch, new has serial number, model number is smaller on new, etc.

i will post pics side by side

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old m1 muzzle:

oldm1muzzle.gif

New M1 muzzle:

newm1muzzle.gif

M1 old vs new:

oldvsnews.gif

Again:

oldvsnews2.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
couple other thoughts. the m3 with the new style shoudl be really nice too. m1 and m3 new style with ha3 finish would be my ultimate wish. i alredy have the m6 led with ha3, and it is an increditly useful light. offer the m1 and m3 with ha3 pelican!!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooh, I'd love the new M1 2310 in HA3!

Thanks for the pics 357. How's the throw on the new M1? The old M1, even with it's ringy beam, had great throw for the amount of light it put out due to the large head. I'm hoping the new one has just as good throw.

easilyled

Flashaholic
jsr said:
easyled - the PM1 is a single 123A light. You're thinking of the PM6.

So it is - :stupid:

I really liked my PM6 until the negative publicity lately - so seeing that
this is the same build and quality (but with 1 cell) and smaller than the
original PM1, it looks like it would be a nice light.

As stated above, it would be even nicer either with a U-bin and regulation
and HA, or with one of these superbright SXOH emitters.

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsr said:
Ooh, I'd love the new M1 2310 in HA3!

Thanks for the pics 357. How's the throw on the new M1? The old M1, even with it's ringy beam, had great throw for the amount of light it put out due to the large head. I'm hoping the new one has just as good throw.

throw is less than the old m1. which i don't mind since beam quality is 10,000% better.

new style beam has more sidespill than the old style beam, and no artifacts.

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the record, i've never had a pm6 led explode due to the power cells. i think those must be isolated incedints, possible people were not following directions correctly?

easilyled

Flashaholic
357 said:
for the record, i've never had a pm6 led explode due to the power cells. i think those must be isolated incedints, possible people were not following directions correctly?

There have only been a few recorded incidents of exploding batteries. Out about 6 of them, half were involved with a PM6. All were with 2 ordinary CR123A batteries in series.

Obviously this does not mean every PM6 is going to go wrong but its still a bit worrying in my opinion.

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is probably more of a battery issue than a light issue. what brand of batteries is exploding the most?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the lens bezels interchangeable with the old style and new style?

Looks to me that they are not interchangeable.

Latest posts