PM1236 Feed Box oil level problem

BVH

Flashaholic
Will or Will do you know the quantity of oil to refill the feedbox with? Darn sight glass is acting up, not showing any oil up to its bottom. There's been no evidence of any leakage and it was up to snuff a few days ago. Well, I ended up putting in a couple cups before I knew for sure, the glass was not functioning. (Oil coming out the filler and not in sight glass) I think I remember some discussions about this happening to others but not sure if it was here or on the Blue Machine forum. (I posted there, too). I don't see any obstructions in the glass and I had all of them out when new to re-o'ring them. Good ol manual says to fill to proper level of sight glass but gives no quantity.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Bob, unfortunately I have no idea how much oil is required for the gearbox. I pump the oil stright from the gallon jugs so I have absolutely no clue how much goes in as I don't pay attention..

Although this does not help with your issue, I do remember that it seems it does not take much to overflow it once it registers halfway. If I'm over half I get leaks on the backside (I think) while running the lathe. At that point it seems I only have to pump out a tiny amount to get it back down to just under half & my leak issues go away. What's weird is at just under the halfway mark, my gearbox does not leak if I use it every weekend. But if I don't use it for a couple of weeks or so, I will notice oil residue on the chip pan directly under the gearbox. Perhaps one of my seals are leaking but I haven't made the time to open it up & check.

I have no idea what it looks like in the geabox but I do remember reading that for some lathes it does matter if the lathe is level somewhat from end to end as oil may not flow properly through certain oil paths/ports. Maybe the sight has a similar passage for the oil? Again I have no idea what it looks like in side & if there is any truth to that statement.

Hope you figure it out & please share with us what the issue is.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
15 to 16 oz. Used a bent thick paper clip as a dipstick thru the filler hole. Doesn't make a lot of sense that both the lower and upper passage in the sight glass would not allow oil to flow. And why, when it was full and showing in the glass, did it suddenly disappear out of the glass, not to return! Guess I can look at it this way, I gave it an early oil change.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be tempted to drain the oil and remove the glass. Not sure of the size of the oil passages, but, maybe a pipe cleaner to run through the passage, if it is a straight hole. Maybe a shot of compressed air? Put an old towel over the machine first. Compressed air has a way of finding places where the oil will shoot out.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Bob, unfortunately I have no idea how much oil is required for the gearbox. I pump the oil stright from the gallon jugs so I have absolutely no clue how much goes in as I don't pay attention..
Same thing I do, no clue how much it needs.

I do recommend you do install the magnet(s) like I did. They "do" collect a lot of very tiny particles.

Will

BVH

Flashaholic
I installed magnets when I had covers off both boxes to fix leaks when the machine first arrived. And I knew then how much it took but didn't write it down.

BVH

Flashaholic
A followup observation. Looking back over the sequence of events, it is apparent that the oil disappeared when I engaged the feed rate of .006 @ position E2. That's the first time's I've done that. After changing the oil and using my dipstick for refill, I switched back to different feeds and the oil has returned to the sight glass - a tad bit high but still not to the top of the glass. So there is some probably some type of sight glass oil obstruction taking place by the gear shifting mechanism when in this specific feed position. Maybe others too.

Latest posts