PocketMateW. 9W variable output blaster. Thread I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Likebright

Enlightened
Re: Introducing... PocketMate-W. 5W variable outpu

9/13/2004 1720 hrs.
IT HAS ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2200 hrs. It is night now and I have just come in from the pitch black woods.
What a light! Super white from dim to "moth roasting" full blast!
(((((It is good to be one of the chosen few))))))
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif Howard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nitefish.... Not long now! Likebright has just received his!!

2dim.... 3AAtoD in a 1D body will work. As far as brightness is concerned, the PocketMateW will out-blitz the ProMagnum/TWOJ in sheer light output. I don't know the specs of the ProMagnum so I can't comment on the throw. You'd be hard pressed finding anything regulated, and of a similar size, that puts out more light and throws further than the PocketMateW (expect for the MR-X, of course).

If you supply your OA2C (or cut/thread), that would reduce costs to you. Lots of colours in Toronto? Cool. Email me (addy in profile).

Being a LuxeonV OA light, it will have a little do-nut hole when using the stock reflector. It can be smoothed using a stippled reflector but you would definately lose throw.

Likebright.... WOO HOO!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Likebright

Enlightened

Howard,
The more I use this thing the more I like it. This thing out throws Mr. Bulk's SN-2 (£¶¡† don't tell him!) + it be regulated.
If you EVER make some more MR-Xes I will take one!
Fine job sir.
Mike

NITEFISH

Newly Enlightened

Just got mine late yesterday! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dropped in a pila 168s and played with it before going to work. (was a few min. late for work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif) My first 5 watt, so I cant really compare it to anything. The tint is very yellow-green compared to my TSP, and other 3w mag mods. But I only notice it when they are side by side. I am sure the PMW will be a very useful light, being its so compact. Going fishing tomarow night, (New moon you know) And will give it a good test.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Likebright... Out throws SN2? Wow. I would have thought the SN2 would be brighter but drop brightness quickly. The SN2 is a direct drive light and it gets about 1.8A to the LED with fresh 123s. The PMW provides a max of 1.3A to the LED. Maybe it is the WX1U LED that is providing a lot more light at 1.3A. Whatever the case, lucky you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nitefish... Late for work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif The X1 tint varies between the old bin 3 and bin 4 area so there will be variances in tint. Regardless, the amount of light would have been quite substantial (WX1U). Have fun fishing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine arrived yesterday but I just got to it today. I am delighted with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Howie included the liner for the Pila 168S (fits 2xCR123As as well) and the liner for the Pila 168A.

My Pilas and charger haven't arrived yet so I slipped in two new 123s and lit her up. Very bright hotspot and spill, at 4 feet the hotspot is about 1 foot in diameter with a barely discernible Luxeon V donut hole. The spill at 4 feet is about 7 feet in diameter.

The thumb switch and dimmer switch work perfectly. I can easily manipulate this light with one hand. The OA2C host feels very comfortable in my hand and the PMW is cut down to an overall length of about 7 11/16 inches which will fit handily in alot of places, if not a front pocket on my Levis. But, in a pinch, if I need both hands, it will indeed fit bow or stern ends first.

Workmanship is outstanding in my opinion.

Being able to dial up exactly what level output you want and then click it off and the next time click it on and it's right where you left it...well...it's just the cat's meow to me.

Being able to run this light on a Pila 168S or 168A allows me to use this light whether CR123As grow on trees or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

But, being able to run it on 2x123s is an option I very much appreciate. Being places where the grid power is down or non-existent, I can still use this versatile light.

I put a couple of new 123s in a 2x123 McLux PR-T 917ma/T binned Lux III, which is my benchmark for beamspot comparisons, and compared and then photographed some comparisons.

My old Sony FD88 1.3 megapixels camera has a heck of a time in my hands taking beamshots.

The amount of light let in can be adjusted in .5 increments from + 1.5 down to - 1.5. Anything above 0, and the light from the beamspots just overwhelmed the camera.

In the photos, the tint of the beamspots looks different than it does to my nekkid eyeballs. So I cranked the saturation down to -100 (lowest it would go). Then I cranked the light setting down to -.5, -1.0, and -1.5.

I wanted to compare the "brightness" of the two lights in relation to one another. Only when I did this could the camera clearly capture the difference in output of the PMW on high and the PR-T DB917ma with a high ranked T Luxeon III.

These are just for comparison purposes of output, not for gauging tint. The PocketMateW is always on the left and the PR-T DB917/T Lux III on the right. Both are on "high".

light at 0 saturation at normal

light at 0 saturation at -100

light at - .5 saturation at -100

light at - 1.0 saturation at -100

light at - 1.5 saturation at -100

You can really see the difference in output in the bottom photo. It's the beginning of evening nautical twilight and soon I'll see how it does out in the night.

Thanks, Howard, I am very pleased and congratulate myself for jumping in for one of these.

Britt

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

3 down and another 6 to go!

Hey Britt, glad to hear your PMW arrived safe and sound. As you have found out, the PMW can quite easily be driven with one hand. If you haven't also noticed, the light was designed for the right hander, with the left hand used for dialing the brightness level.

I find the lower light levels much more useful in everyday circumstances indoors than the max output level. It is reassuring though to know the max power is available when and if you need it... in the same light!

Anyhow, enjoy!

Likebright

Enlightened

Howard,
Stand corrected with new batteries Charlie's SN2 is a bit brighter.
But the PMW is easier to carry and the dimming or brightning feature is really useful. Plus I just pop the Pila in the charger before going somewhere with it and ----- well I could go on and on but ----
thanks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif great light.
Mike

NITEFISH

Newly Enlightened

Hotbeam Question,
I noticed the switch was a little hard to press and the switch cover was not seated completly. I took the switch cover off and noticed the switch assembly was not centered. I tried to loosen and re-center the switch, but it seems stuck. Was wondering if you epoxied the switch. I diddnt want to break anything. I wouldnt have a problem with it, but I really have to press my finger into the switch to lock the light on.
Thanks

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Likebright... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Nitefish.... Do not try to readjust the switch. It has indeed been epoxied down. The switch will be off center because I needed more room for the pot so it had to be aligned down a little. You will notice with all OA2Cs that their switching mechanism is a little harder to use than OADs. You need to press further into the switch to work it. Coupled with the re-alignment I needed to make, it makes it a little harder.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine! Dial-a-Beam capability is just too cool.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Woo hoo. More PMW's arrived. Where are the others?

rick258

Enlightened

No mail or package delivery in my area of New Orleans for last 3 days due to hurricane Ivan. I have several items I am expecting and imagine post office and UPS and FedEx will start catching up on Friday ( I hope ). Rick

Glo_in_dark

Newly Enlightened

Got mine...great light, perfect size for a night walk...thanks Howard!!!
Michael

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

It really comes into its own outdoors at night. It humiliated a SL TL-3 LED last night. It impressed everyone to see the throw just on low. Then there were oohs and ahhs when I cranked it up and pointed it at the ceiling of the porch. They could read the tiny print on their Driver's Licenses by the reflected light. The flood and throw were demonstrated on the stables about 100ft away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Still on the same two 123s I put in it when I got it, Pilas and charger are enroute.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got my Pila Charger and a 168S cell today. My PMW is feeding on it tonight. Works great and I can run it all I want on high. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rick... yeah, the weather has been causing a lil' bit of havoc up your way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Lucky you have all the lighting situation sorted out. Well... maybe not until you get the PMW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Scrappy... Cool.

Glo... Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC... It is amazing that at the lowest setting, it is still quite a mini light. I always show it to people at that setting and then listen for the "ooh" "ahh" after I crank it a little. Glad you got your Pilas. Take note when you use in the PMW at full bore. The poor Pilas (168S) will drop out totally after ~40 minutes at max. When that happened to me the first time, I thought "oc oh". I measured the voltage and it was 2.7V /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Just be prepared for that.

marcspar

Enlightened

Hotbeam,

Will there be a second run in the near future?

Best regards,

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.