Poll: do you sleep with your wristwatch on?

Ever heard of or used flashlightlens.com?

• Sometimes, sometimes not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CiTY

Enlightened
I have a few "Automatics", may I ask which one you have that needs the different orientations to balance it out?

[ QUOTE ]
whiskypapa3 said:
I take mine off unless I'm traveling. Back in my misspent youth I had a calibrated autowind chronograph, lay it face up and gain about ten seconds over night, face down, lose about ten seconds, stem up/down gain/lose five seconds, 12 o'clock up very little gain/loss. They were adjusted that way by the maker so after a few weeks of checking it you knew which way to place it to cancel out the day's error. Problem was you had to send it to the maker's rep for cleaning (about every two years) no local watch makers would take the time to do it right. Could keep time well within a minute a month if you worked at it. Even had a little wallet chart to track its error if you had access to a radio time signal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much the only time mine comes off is when I sleep, and it sits next to my pillow or on my nightstand. I had the same problem paulr did with not being able to hear the alarm, so it found a happy home next to my cellphone and flashlight for nights.

-Mike

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
I always sleep with my wristwatch on. It is a Luminox and being the dedicated flashaholic that I am, I love looking at the glow before I fall asleep.

When I wake up before the alarm goes off (does not happen often), I like being able to check out the time.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I'm just nearsighted enough that I have to move my face to within 2 feet of a typical LED alarm clock to comfortably read the time when my eyes are even more blurred when just awakened in the night. A watch with good lume on the dial just requires me to move my arm to see the time. I got in the habit of wearing a watch overnight while staying in a hotel that had the clock glued down on the table facing where I couldn't see it without sitting up.

I have since purchased an Oregon Scientific radio-controlled alarm clock that has a projector. The time is projected onto my ceiling directly above my bed. The numbers are about 4 inches tall when projected and quite readable now, but I still wear the watch. Plus I can use the clock as a quick reference for setting my watch.

ps: I usually use my Arc AAA UV light to charge up my watch before bedding down at night.

paulr

Flashaholic
CiTY, it's very normal for mechanical watches to gain or lose time at slightly different rates depending on orientation. No they didn't intentionally have those differential errors, but tweaking out the errors is a difficult job requiring a skilled watchmaker, and doing it for more than 2 or 3 positions is only possible on fancy watches. This is called "adjustment" and is different from "regulation", which simply speeds up or slows down the whole watch by sliding a little lever to vary the hairspring tension, and which doesn't take much skill. There are some articles on timezone.com (look in the Horologium section) about how to adjust watches, if you have a sudden urge to take your mechanical watch apart.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
CITY

PAULR has it right. The watch I had was a certified Eterna Chronometer (approx $200 circa 1958). Plain Eternas were about$90 back then. It had six "adjustments" and came with a little chart giving the differentials for each position (each watch was different) and a graph to enter observed errors from a time standard, useful for interpolating correct time when no time standard was available for more than a few days or so. It was a plain looking watch NOT one of those monsters with multiple dials and buttons all around, did the job for a couple of years at a time before it needed rework. Used it well into the 70s when it was replaced by an anniversary gift and was still working two years ago when it went to a nephew's collection.

I would have killed for what is available now; GPS controlled or radio controled. Heck, even a modern $4.95 Quartz did as well as a 1950's Rolex Chrono ($800++)

stockwiz

Enlightened
Should have added a poll option for people who don't wear watches. I bet of those who voted no, many don't wear watches. Me, I sleep with it on, the only time it's ever off is when I'm taking a shower.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I leave my watch on at night partly so I don't forget to put it on in the morning. Also, taking it off and putting it on is a bit of a nuisance. It's a lightweight plastic watch; maybe I'd be more inclined to take it off if it wear a big metal one with a bracelet.

[/ QUOTE ]

My father tought me to always check for certain items before leaving the house. It's sort of a litany; glasses, wallet, watch and zipper. I seldom forget any of the 4. The pneumonic?

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only time I do not have my watch on is when I bathe. The reason being that I hate it when soap (from the bar)gets caught up on the watch.Just takes too much time to get the soap off compared to taking off the watch in the first place.

DBrier

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Darkaway said:
I sleep, eat, bathe, work out, and even make love with my Timex Ironman wristwatch on. If I could have it permanently implanted into my wrist, I would happily do so.

[/ QUOTE ] I do the same with my Casio G Shock. I even leave it on for things like river cleanups and working on my car

haley1

Enlightened
Always except when I shower, and thats only because my current one has a leather band that stretches out if gotten wet too often.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never wear a watch. I got tired of people asking me what time it is all the time. Now I go around and ask watch wearers the time.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't.

I have in the past but I don't know what my arms do while I'm asleep and I was worried about the watch getting knocked against the wall or bedframe.

I have a clock radio right next to the bed and I can see it much easier in the middle of the night than I could see my watch anyway.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I don't like being somewhere and not knowing the time so I leave mine on so I don't forget it.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is very interesting. I wear my cheap Timex 24/7 about 6 days a week. Usually about 1 night a week I do take it off, to try and eliminate not only the tan line but that nasty dent thing on my wrist.

Luff

Enlightened
Over the past 10 years or so, mine has come off about once a month in the shower to get a good scrubbing. It's back on before I get out.