Powering an LED off of a 36volt power source.

Txluke

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to get an LED powered on my 36 volt golf cart. I want to remove the reverse buzzer, but replace it with an LED on the dash that lights up so that I know when I'm in reverse.

The problem is that everything on the cart is 36volts. I removed the buzzer, and put a volt meter on just to check, and when I put the cart in reverse, sure enough it is 36volts to the buzzer. Is there any realistic/cheap way to bleed that voltage away to a level that the LED can handle? Would I be better off using the 36 volts from the reverse switch to trigger a relay and then run the LED off of a lower level power source... perhaps even a few double AA batters or something since that would probably last about 2 years with the rarity of use. Any oppinions are appreciated.
Run the power from 2 of the batteries. I assume you have 6 x 6v batteries. Go to the last one in line and use negative off that one then positive off the next one in line. You now have 12v.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
does the OP realize that the buzzer that he wants to replace isn't for his benefit? It's so people behind him are alerted to the fact that he's about to run them over.

Of course, the OP hasn't checked back in since he started the thread, so we'll probably never know what happened.

btw, what's the record for threads like this coming back to life?