Presenting you the very personal *Fenix E1 CE*

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool mods!! Amazing output/runtime results.

My only concern: Don't these LEDs have "gummy" surfaces that are fairly fragile/succeptible to damage? I'd be concerned pocketing any Cree based light that didn't have a protective window.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:

My only concern: Don't these LEDs have "gummy" surfaces that are fairly fragile/succeptible to damage? I'd be concerned pocketing any Cree based light that didn't have a protective window.

The Cree has Glass Lens over it, it's not gummy, the ring and glass does not come of that easily. however one has to be careful while handling.

the SSC P4 one is gummy silicone lens and the slug is +ve

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
Solstice said:

You're likely thinking of the new Seoul P4, which have the 'gummy' covering (Seoul is using the CREE 'core' I believe). The CREE LEDs use a glass covering/lens I believe, so hopefully fewer issues with dust.

Then again, considering the tiny size of the emitter dust may be a problem for all high powered LEDs that aren't in an airtight (waterproof) torch. Something about the electrostatics actively attracts dust. At least I know this is a problem with high powered lasers.