Problem with PD35

Janfrederik

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, so I just got my first flashlight today, a Fenix PD35, and already it's messed up. The forward clicky, the output changer, isn't working correctly. Right now, if I turn the flashlight on, it's on Turbo mode. If I press the clicky, nothing. If I hold it down, it goes to strobe mode. When in strobe, if I press the clicky again, it goes back to Turbo
I didn't drop it or do anything with it. I was outside, trying it out, and then all of a sudden, it won't change modes. It was pretty chilly out (for Texas). Maybe about 35-40 degrees F.
Any help would be appreciated. I plan on calling Fenix tomorrow.

Thanks!

jondotcom

Enlightened
I'm guessing you are supposed to half-press the button repeatedly to get to the mode you want, then fully press the button until it clicks.

Janfrederik

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing you are supposed to half-press the button repeatedly to get to the mode you want, then fully press the button until it clicks.

No, it worked fine, then it just stopped. Everything I've tried has failed. You're just supposed to click the button to cycle through.

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, so I just got my first flashlight today, a Fenix PD35, and already it's messed up. The forward clicky, the output changer, isn't working correctly. Right now, if I turn the flashlight on, it's on Turbo mode. If I press the clicky, nothing. If I hold it down, it goes to strobe mode. When in strobe, if I press the clicky again, it goes back to Turbo
I didn't drop it or do anything with it. I was outside, trying it out, and then all of a sudden, it won't change modes. It was pretty chilly out (for Texas). Maybe about 35-40 degrees F.
Any help would be appreciated. I plan on calling Fenix tomorrow.

Thanks!

You can try what Norm mentioned and see if that solves the problem. To tighten the clicky retaining ring, you have to turn it counter-clockwise on the PD35.
If that doesn't solve the issue, I would contact your dealer you bought it from and return it for a replacement. Good luck.

Negative. That's not how the PD35 works. The side button is suppose to change the mode, not rear clicky.

Janfrederik

Newly Enlightened
You can try what Norm mentioned and see if that solves the problem. To tighten the clicky retaining ring, you have to turn it counter-clockwise on the PD35.
If that doesn't solve the issue, I would contact your dealer you bought it from and return it for a replacement. Good luck.

Okay, so what exactly is the clicky retaining ring?

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so what exactly is the clicky retaining ring?

If you take off the tailcap and look at the inside, you will see the aluminum ring around the spring with opposite small holes. You are suppose to use a retaining clip plier to tighten and loosen this ring.

IMG_20131125_134444-1_zps8e0fc659.jpg

Janfrederik

Newly Enlightened
If you take off the tailcap and look at the inside, you will see the aluminum ring around the spring with opposite small holes. You are suppose to use a retaining clip plier to tighten and loosen this ring.

IMG_20131125_134444-1_zps8e0fc659.jpg

And tightening that will fix the button up by the light-emitting end?

Newly Enlightened
It could be one issue, it could be multiple issues. Like Norm and I mentioned, this is a good start to diagnose the problem. If this doesn't resolve your issue, I wouldn't try taking apart and messing with any other parts of the light (clicky itself nor electronic switch up at the head). Maybe try different batteries.
Just return it for a replacement if this doesn't help.

Janfrederik

Newly Enlightened
It could be one issue, it could be multiple issues. Like Norm and I mentioned, this is a good start to diagnose the problem. If this doesn't resolve your issue, I wouldn't try taking apart and messing with any other parts of the light (clicky itself nor electronic switch up at the head). Maybe try different batteries.
Just return it for a replacement if this doesn't help.

Well, thank you both for you help. I tried tightening the retaining ring, to no avail. Should I send it to Fenix, or the place I bought it from? It has a few scratches, so I don't want to give the place I bought it from a noticeably used light. Or do they just send it in and get it fixed anyway?

Newly Enlightened
Well, thank you both for you help. I tried tightening the retaining ring, to no avail. Should I send it to Fenix, or the place I bought it from? It has a few scratches, so I don't want to give the place I bought it from a noticeably used light. Or do they just send it in and get it fixed anyway?

What you just said. Fenix will tell you to return it to the dealer you purchased it from. Most dealers don't see a problem with accepting returns due to the manufacturer's defect.

Good luck.

rje58

Enlightened
This is good information - however in the future it might be advisable to make sure your flashlight is not DOA and doesn't have any immediate and obvious factory defects before handling it in such a way that it has scratches and is a "noticeably used light" on the same day you receive it.

What you just said. Fenix will tell you to return it to the dealer you purchased it from. Most dealers don't see a problem with accepting returns due to the manufacturer's defect.

Good luck.

Janfrederik

Newly Enlightened
This is good information - however in the future it might be advisable to make sure your flashlight is not DOA and doesn't have any immediate and obvious factory defects before handling it in such a way that it has scratches and is a "noticeably used light" on the same day you receive it.

Yeah... Everyone one of course wanted to see it, and a buddy let it slip out of his hands, so now there's a chip in the anodization.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... Everyone one of course wanted to see it, and a buddy let it slip out of his hands, so now there's a chip in the anodization.

Have your buddy buy you a new light, if the dealer fails to take it back, due to it being a 'beat up' return.

With friends like that...lol.

Chris

Janfrederik

Newly Enlightened
Have your buddy buy you a new light, if the dealer fails to take it back, due to it being a 'beat up' return.

With friends like that...lol.

Chris

Nah, it was all good in the end. My dealer sent me a new one as soon as I told him mine was defective. I'll be returning it soon.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, it was all good in the end. My dealer sent me a new one as soon as I told him mine was defective. I'll be returning it soon.

Good to hear.

I had a Sunwayman V10R crap out on me after a year and Battery Junction sent me a new V11R, because mine couldn't be repaired/replaced.

Stuff happens and that's when customer service comes into play.

Chris

Janfrederik

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear.

I had a Sunwayman V10R crap out on me after a year and Battery Junction sent me a new V11R, because mine couldn't be repaired/replaced.

Stuff happens and that's when customer service comes into play.

Chris

Acknowledged. I don't know what else to say :p

Latest posts