Prowlers in my yard last night

Penryn Ron

Newly Enlightened
My German Sherpherd alerted me about 2:30 am last night to something outside. I grabbed my Surefire L1 and quickly looked for something larger but realized that I left my M6 in the truck. As I headed out onto the front deck I grabbed my Dominator 10x which has been unused and uncharged for months.

Once I stepped outside, my dog started going nuts so I gave the Dominator a press assuming it wouldn't have any juice left. To my amazement and to the shock of the two guys looking to break into my car, the 10x put out a wall of light that was as if someone had turned on the sun. One guy was able to quickly run down the street but the other looser was so overwhelmed by the blinding light that he stumbled several times before he could get his footing. By the time he could orient himself, my dog and I were only 30 feet away.

I told him to run for his life or I would send my dog (I might have used some harsher language). As he followed his buddy down the street, I kept the big light on and it actually lit up the entire street preventing the two guys from ducking into anyone else's yard. They eventually faded out of sight but not before they had run at least two city blocks.

I was blown away that the Dominator could put out such tremendous light even though it had not been on a charger for months. From now on, I am keeping that light fully charged and at my bedside, although I doubt I will be seeing the same two guys again.

dano101

Enlightened
Awesome use of a great product. i think it was Powell that said that perpetual optimism is a force multiplier... but i cant think of anything better myself than a wall of light and some agressive fangs :)

Give youd dog a pat for me for helping keep the streets a bit safer :) and definately keep the 10X at the ready.

Dano

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you mean you didnt check FIRST if the dominator was working? risky...cos if it wasnt, it would mean THEN having to go to the truck for the m6..come to think of it, WHY is youre m6 in the truck? it should be on the bedside table..:nana:

Crenshaw

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing you caught them when you did and no property was lost or damaged. It's also a good reminder that if you have a light that will do the job, have it ready for use.

Penryn Ron

Newly Enlightened
No question, it was dumb of me not to have a sure light ready to roll. My dog can get business done when he is given the command so he gave me a greater sense of security. However, the biggest, baddest light I have will now always be in a ready position. The 500 lumen monster is one disorienting light!

dano101

Enlightened
We all make mistakes. I gave some friends a light of mine to use while camping (like a proud papa sending his kid away to college) and i forgot to send my kid with tuition (batteries) for the trip :)

*Bryan*

Enlightened
Just one question? Why not release the dog and catch the loser?

Now they have the opportunity to do it to somebody else or comeback again.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I understand this is a light story, but wonder why you didn't release the dog? Now you have (2) pissed off robbers still out there, either terrorizing your neighbors or making plans to come back to your place.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting conflicting information here, but looks like the Dominator could be using either a li-on or a ni-cad battery. Just sitting there un-used, li-on loses about 5% charge per month. Ni-cad loses about 10% per month.

Either way, it takes at least a year to drain a Dominator's battery.

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work. Glad you and the dog were unhurt!

Not to be negative,but I also would consider some defensive enhancements, in case they return for some kind of payback. I'll leave the defensive equipment to your imagination, but I think you know where I'm coming from.:xyxgun:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good move, Penryn Ron.

Expeditiously creating distance between a threat and yourself sounds like the right strategy for the scenario you described. A powerful light, a commanding voice and a K-9 can do much to persuade bad guys to alter their actions.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love a story where the good guys win and the bad guys run away (or are carried away). And as to your light choice, this led guy will gladly admit that sometimes certian incans are much better than any led.

Great story!

winston

Enlightened
I understand this is a light story, but wonder why you didn't release the dog? Now you have (2) pissed off robbers still out there, either terrorizing your neighbors or making plans to come back to your place.

They don't want confrontation, they want car stereos. They know your dog isn't going anywhere, and your truck isn't going to be easy pickings. If they don't give up on your neighborhood altogether (you called the cops, right?) they are almost certainly not going to be in your driveway again if they can help it. It would just make their "job" harder. I say well done. No injuries to life or property. That's good.
-Winston

flash_bang

Enlightened
I'm sure glad you fared okay!

kinda off topic but…
@ winston: where did you get that picture from? with the dragon and the arm and fire and stuff? I could've sworn I've seen it somewhere…

HAGO,
Flash