Purpose built, high output platform.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jim (JS)

Thanks for the corrections on the tape and drive current capacity of Ni based cells. Hmmm - with 10 - 20 amp capability, maybe I should have purchased 100 watt power supplies instead of 30s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess that is what upgrades are for.

I mostly use Li based primary cells, and there is a lot of use of R - Li based cells in the LED lights, so I am sensitized to them, although, not entirely comfortable with them. Since the use of Li primary cells is rather expensive when used in high powered lights, I picked these supplies to allow for a wide Vin range, and a wide choice of cell types.

Certainly, the Li cells are well known for warming up from internal resistance heating long before the Ni based cells do. Ginsing has mentioned in various threads about cells getting "quite warm" after use, as well as some problems with cells splitting over time / cycling. You are correct that I speculated that this might be a heat issue.

I am probably overly sensitive to the insta flash issue because when I insta flash LEDs, the replacement is perhaps a bit more of an issue. There is of course the price aspect as well as the usually more complex installtion. Perhaps even more important is that LED guys are always trying to push the envelope on obtaining premium binned LEDs. These are often so rare it take a combination of time, patience, money, and connections with Guido to get some. I sold some WXOT binned Lux Vs last fall (from a group buy) thinking that by now, this would be a common bin. These are still relatively rare - certainly not off the shelf, and my supply of premium Lux IIIs is approaching time to refill.

I have not yet built up the tolerance to parts failure / wearout, so perhaps this is part of the thick skin that one develops working in the high power incan world.

Thanks for the info and guidance.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The major issue with cell splitting seems to be from one manufacturer.

NiMH cells have proven themselves capable, at least in proper formulation, of 20+ Amp outputs. From my point of view, anything over 10 is superfluous, and in reality, for a light that is going to run for any length of time, draws of over 5 amps are probably not necessary.

I like the LiIon option, and hope to incorporate that technology soon, because the lack of on the shelf discharge is definitely appealing. But the problems with the "bombs"
of using unprotected cells IS an issue.

I suspect that we will soon see a flood of protected 18650, etc. and that may resolve the issue.

Howver, the platform is still the issue. We can build the most tecnologically advanced light ever seen, and if it doesn't fit peoples hand, and perhaps more importantly, their eye, we won't be able to sell enough to pay the laundry bill!!

So you guys, give me the platform, size, shape, options, look, whatever fits your dream platform.

Bill

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Hello folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwaites : "I like the LiIon option, and hope to incorporate that technology soon, because the lack of on the shelf discharge is definitely appealing. But the problems with the "bombs"
of using unprotected cells IS an issue."

IMO if you use LiIon you should be wary of the internal temperatures of the light. Sure you can pull 3+ amps out of them (depending on size), but when you add heat from the lamp and heat from internal resistance, you can be making yourself one of those bombs. I watched that marshmallow clip with awe, just how hot does the body/battery area get on a full run from a mid level output incan light? I'm not saying the USL is a mid level output light...just using it as an example of an extreme.

bwaites : "So you guys, give me the platform, size, shape, options, look, whatever fits your dream platform."

Platform : I'd like to state that I find the modular body by FM, although a little big looking, is a very good idea. When I get it in the mail I'll let you know if it really is too big for me. If you design a light with modularity you can tailor it to suit your particular needs. Extensions to accept larger power source, a main body housing the switch, lamp and a base power source, different heads for varied needs, ie flood, spot, fog cutting, throw, etc... The base light I think is what you would go for first, then just add up from there. I really only have one experience so far with Hi-po(wer) incan's. That would be a 3D mag body with a FM 3" head, FM 9aa battery holder and a potted WA1185. To say the least I am really impressed with this combination, not that means anything to anyone but me tho.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I really like the output from this. By the estimated output formulae I've seen here it'a bout 600-700 lumens out of the front? I like this amount of light but I really couldn't say how much I'd prefer as this is only one reference point for me.

Size : Mag2d, Mag3c size. Maybe a little bigger in diameter than the Mag D to accomodate the needed power source. Mag C is a little small in diameter for me... but only just a very little.

Shape : Round or smoothed edge hex. I would definately appreciate a cross sectional area that was closer to a circle than a rectangle.

Options : See platform above...ie power supply extensions, different heads, different lamp options for varied output.

Runtime : As long as possible, but for me even ten minutes at this level is fine.

The ability to change out lamps for varied outputs would be a plus. To keep it simple and to keep the need for carrying around different power supplies and extensions, select bulbs that utilize the same voltage requirement but draw different amps.

I can't remember where I saw this, but it was a link someone provided describing various mods and at the end it talked about the future of portable lighting, in terms of lumen output, being with Osram lamps. I'm going to say this was Ginseng...but I'm not sure...I do think it was the projector lamps mentioned somewhere above. What is the possibility of using these? I don't know anything about them yet...only so much time to read.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm hoping this is not too jumbled...it's taking about 30 min's so far to type, only because I wanted to keep it organized as much as possible.

I really do think I'm being converted from what brought me here a few short months ago...LED's. I have no real practical use for portable incan lighting at the moment, but then again how many led lights do I really need beyond the one I use at work every day...I'm not sure about the answer to that one but I am sure that I do have too many at this point in time. I'll be trading some of them in soon to get more of these superlights.

Ok, so let me recap and summarize (at least try to) what I've said here.

The light I'd like most would be for wow factor, but one that I could if I wanted to reconfigure in a just a few minutes to something with either a "little" less light/more runtime, or add onto the power supply for more runtime at the highest level/bulb choice. The light when held would be comfortable in your hand, ie round.

I'd like to see 6k lumens, but I don't know about lamps yet so this may be totally unfeasable, someone please help me educate myself...

Now, hopefully you are still with me... In regards to materials : I keep reading about problems with bulb holders, the bi pin Mag charger slug melts from the superbulbs currently in use, and hopefully it would totally degrade with anything new. I don't know if you are going for off the shelf parts here but hopefully by "purpose built" you are not. I would like to suggest the use of a higher rated plastic to make a unique bulb holder. I am no materials expert so I can only speak of what I have witnissed first hand. The plastic on the back of automotive bulbs seems to hold up very well to the heat output by the +55watt lamp that is housed in it, surely there is something along these lines to hold up to the heat of +100w lamps. I've seen "phenolic resin" used as spacers on automotive engines, the auto industry is/has been using plastic for intake manifolds for at least a decade and a half now. Surely this material, whatever it is, could at least open the door to something that can withstand the punishment of a 6k lumen lamp? I only point out very hi temp plastics because they may be machined rather than molded, this would save money. Not that machine shop time is inexpensive, but that moldings are in comparison.

Wow, this is by far the longest thing I've posting in one sitting.