QIII lens replacement...

Leeoniya

Enlightened
how to get the reflector out?

I already seperated the head from the body and took out the star for the swap, and I see that the back of the reflector retainer has 2 holes in it..for unscrewing? is it also locktite'd into place? or do i just need pliers and pull on the retainer?

thanks,
Leon

It is threaded. You have to boil the head. I just took my reflector out last week. A new glass lens and a smooth IMS reflector is on it's way.

Boil the head for a few minutes (it should be too hot to hold). And then stick pliers in the holes, press down and then turn.

The boil method didn't work for me so I extended the idea. I put the head of the light in the freezer for about 30 minutes then put the front part of the light in boiling water for about 30 seconds.

Holding the cooler reflector with retaining ring pliers I turned the hot-head with a dish towel around my hand.

Grunt! The brittle glue let loose and the aluminium reflector started untreading.

i found a heat gun that came with a heatshrink wrapping machine and used it for 30 seconds on the heas, slowly turning the slight to get even heating, screwed head off with ease. and yes, it was quite hot.

guess i'll do the same for the retainer tomorrow.

thanks

Be careful with the reflector as it can scratch/damage easily after it is removed.
A heat gun works too with no moisture at all.
The reflector unscrews when the adhesive lets go.

well, at least i didnt break any nuwai parts, but i did watch my chipped 22.5mm mineral glass go in the trash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It didnt fit. even when i heated the head it just wouldnt go in. i thought this was the size everyone used to swap?

You have to clean the threads to remove the residue loctite first before putting in you new lens. Otherwise, it won't fit.

I tried a 22.6mm UCL and had to sand the edge a lot (used/ruined a saphire nail file). It slid in easily, but cracked after I used the light a short while.

Now waiting for a 22.5 AR to try again.

Leon,
Your second Q3 is on it's way with the head and reflector loosened. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
A pair of needlenose should have it out with no fuss.
Clean out ALL the leftover stuff 1st inside the bezel.
Let us know how this turns out with the ucl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I posted somewhere on another thread that I couldn't get the 22.5mm glass lens in. I finally got it in yesterday when I cleaned the treads on the bezel, then sand the treads. I also sanded the lens till it fits nicely into the head.

Unfortunatly I had to sand the 22.5mm as well. USed the nail file, naturally I scratched the glass (once) - shouldn't get in a hurry/work late at night.

Anyway, think I liked the UCL better so may have to get another. Don't think leftover is the problem - lens wouldn't fit vertically between threads at all.