Quark R2 avoids Fenix R2 "Cree Rings"

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have several Quark 123x2 R2's and Fenix PD30 R2's, and the Quark beams are much smoother than the Fenix, with virtually no C rings.

Any thoughts on this?

Brightnorm

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
It's not this simple, but basically:

XR-E means cree rings except with heavy OP for flood or with optics.
XP-E means no cree rings even with a smooth reflector.

carrot

Flashaholic
It is possible to have a Cree XR-E based light with no rings. My Lunasol 27 has no rings, for example. Nor does my Ti Nautilus. Both have fairly light OP. I could probably dig through my collection and find other fine examples. It is a question of light management and good reflector design, really.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The L1T-V2 is the smoothest beam I have ever seen. The TK20 has one of the ringiest. I am not a dedicated / experienced white wall hunter so my opinions are probably very wrong, but to make generalized statements across one brand or another doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

Sector7

Enlightened
The Liteflux LF2XT still uses the XR-E Q5 and has a very smooth beam from hot to spill with no noticeable rings, just depends on how well the reflector is designed for general balance of spill or for throw. compromises probably had to be made to get that goal.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
It is possible to have a Cree XR-E based light with no rings. My Lunasol 27 has no rings, for example. Nor does my Ti Nautilus. Both have fairly light OP. I could probably dig through my collection and find other fine examples. It is a question of light management and good reflector design, really.

Hence my statement being a definite generalization. I'd be interested to see some beamshots of the Lunasol 27; some people consider the darker "donut" (that lights like my L2D Q5 have) around the hotspot to be a ring, but does the Lunasol exhibit neither in its beam?

hoongern

Enlightened
The Liteflux LF2XT still uses the XR-E Q5 and has a very smooth beam from hot to spill with no noticeable rings, just depends on how well the reflector is designed for general balance of spill or for throw. compromises probably had to be made to get that goal.

The LF2XT uses the XP-E and XP-G emitters :) (At least for the Q4-4C and R5) I haven't seen any Q5 LF2XTs around... Just the Q4s, R2s and R5s. Was there a Q5?