Question.. about binning?

magu2k

Newly Enlightened
So I have been reading these forums a lot over the last few days and have been seeing a lot of reference to binning. I have some electronic background but this one is new to me.. Can anyone explain this please?

HKJ

Flashaholic
So I have been reading these forums a lot over the last few days and have been seeing a lot of reference to binning. I have some electronic background but this one is new to me.. Can anyone explain this please?

Leds are sorted in different performance categories, these categories includes color, light output and voltage over led. And instead of calling it categories, it is called bins.

This thread has a lot of information about bins: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156772

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, magu2k.

Information and discussion about LED emitters, including the thread linked there by HKJ, can be found in the LED sub-forum, so I'm moving your thread there.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Binning really isn't new at all to you, you just don't realize it.

When you buy a computer with a certain speed processor, you bought a processor that was graded into that bin of speed.

When you go to the grocery store, you see "Grade A" eggs, milk, beef, etc.

When you were in school, everyone received grades in binning groups of 10 points (A, B, C, etc. ), and possibly sub-binning in increments of 3-6 points (A+, A, A-, etc.)

If you go hunting or fishing, you bin your catch. Non-legal you have to throw back, keepers, and trophy sizes (according to local regulations).

People are binned when it comes to clothing sizes. You buy S, M, L, XL, XXL, etc. A cups, B cups, C cups, etc.