• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

R50 Seeker Introduction

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I freaking love my R40 and have pre ordered the R50. Will wait until I get the R50 so I can properly measure the proprietary cell and match or come close to matching it with a better cell like I did with my R40. I put a 4000mah King Kong in my R40 fully charged and all modes were noticeably brighter. The King Kong was to long though and smooshed the spring at the head. Took a bit to straighten that out. Now running a 5200mah Keeppower in it and it just rocks. Noticeably higher output and I can charge it on my stand alone charger to the proper 4.20v. Run time seems to go on forever now I love it. The proprietary cell that came in it was just...weak. Dont think it charged past 4.16v in the light and even on medium mode it would lose power quick.

DMS1970

Enlightened
I freaking love my R40 and have pre ordered the R50. Will wait until I get the R50 so I can properly measure the proprietary cell and match or come close to matching it with a better cell like I did with my R40. I put a 4000mah King Kong in my R40 fully charged and all modes were noticeably brighter. The King Kong was to long though and smooshed the spring at the head. Took a bit to straighten that out. Now running a 5200mah Keeppower in it and it just rocks. Noticeably higher output and I can charge it on my stand alone charger to the proper 4.20v. Run time seems to go on forever now I love it. The proprietary cell that came in it was just...weak. Dont think it charged past 4.16v in the light and even on medium mode it would lose power quick.

Awesome. I never use internal charging, it would be great to know what works best/increased performance!

DMS1970

Enlightened
Yes we are shipping to dealers this week so hopefully by the end of the week or early next week.

Awesome, thanks to Olight and Going Gear for the update. I've had my preorder in with GG since they were available.

DMS1970

Enlightened
Got my tracking number on my preorder from Going Gear today, R50 Seeker shipping out!! I emailed and asked about bezel color, since another vendor shows the lights with choice of blue or silver. I asked for blue. We will see!

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be the first on CPF to get one - keep us posted! Hope you get blue - that would be cool!

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the pics on your other thread. Decent hotspot so it looks to have good throw. Is the lens slightly concave as previously mentioned on the GG site?

DMS1970

Enlightened
thanks for the pics on your other thread. Decent hotspot so it looks to have good throw. Is the lens slightly concave as previously mentioned on the GG site?

no, the lens is perfectly flat. Maybe the pro will have it?

DMS1970

Enlightened
Also to note; on the heat management issue, on turbo for more than a minute, this light makes less heat than my ZL 63 or sc600 MKIII. I feel this light is capable of handling a little more current than it is fed. The pro should take care of that but we haven't heard anything in a while about it

chumley

Enlightened
I think that the lens has a very slight correction because when I looked at an angle, the reflector looked like is was bending a bit I think that your observations are spot on.

gteague

Newly Enlightened
mine just arrived from going gear. i got to test it for about 90 seconds before the button turned red so now it's charging as of 1030 (to mark the time). it's pulling 950ma and i'll try to monitor the charging progress. this is from a 2.1a usb a/c charger (not the one supplied), not from a computer.

i was delighted to find that it's just the perfect size i wanted--seems like it will be a great balance of power vs bulk vs weight. i have the nitecore 3500 lumens light with the 4x18650 batteries and it's just too awkward to carry in any reasonable way for any length of time. i thought about putting a shoulder strap on it--that's how awkward it is. and the charging on that light is fragile and requires the dedicated charger which i have to find among my other 100 chargers. but that display of status is a game changer and nothing compares to having actual data on your internal situation.

despite the weight, i'd still like to carry this on my belt. i doubt i'll find a clip strong enough with that diameter, so i suspect i'll have to find a holster. if any of you guys find one that fits and has a belt clip and not a loop, pls post and let me know.

i'll post more impressions and data once i've had some time with it. no buyer's regret yet though. [g]

/guy

[oh, first impression: wish that the main button showed the charging status instead of the light being on top. oh well, that's hardly a deal breaker]

Last edited:

Latest posts