• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

R50 Seeker Introduction

gteague

Newly Enlightened
charger stayed at around 1000ma (1a) for two hours and now it's dropped down to 500ma and now 300ma. so i estimate about another hour max as i want to get a full charge into it the first time. i could have put it in my charger, but i wanted to see the charge rate.

/guy

kj2

Flashaholic
25efe6e3e88371241bc1366c4aa8e45f.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Way are your impressions Kev? Should be a nice useful floody beam, I have a lot of love for the xhp70! (Might have said that more than once :p)

kj2

Flashaholic
Way are your impressions Kev? Should be a nice useful floody beam, I have a lot of love for the xhp70! (Might have said that more than once :p)

First impressions are good. Nice wide flood beam but still has some punch with his xhp-50 ;)

ven

Flashaholic
Thats where i must be getting confused then, sure i read about the xhp70...............the pro version it is!

Cheers

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ref R50 Seeker usage.

Per the instructions and ad-copy, the light under the switch shows Red when the cell reached the cutoff voltage (unstated). However based on a single event, there is no prior warning of low voltage on my copy of the R50 Seeker.

Before I started my evening walk with my R50 (received ~week ago), I checked the cell voltage: 3.65v. I normally check the low-cell behaviour of any new light that I purchase. Given the ~3.6v, I theorized that at some point in my walk, I should be receiving a warning about low cell voltage. During my walk, I was checking the difference between turbo and hi/med and understood that a low-voltage warning should be imminent. Instead the light simply cut off with no warning while on high. When I pressed the switch, it glowed red. grrr. Fortunately I carried another light. Upon return to the apt after about a half hour, I checked the cell OC voltage: 3.55v. Notably when I replaced the end cap, the light functioned normally thru all 3 levels plus turbo, although turbo certainly was not a bright as with a fully charged cell.

hmmm, I like the light output and size, but losing all light w/o warning is not nice. no low-level limp home or blink mode. grump.

What has been the experience of any other R50 owners with operation under low-cell voltage conditions?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
addendum to my assertion about no low-voltage warning in the R50 Seeker:

After the unexpected cut-off while on a walk last night, I explored the operation of the R50 around the cutoff point => which evidently is somewhere around ~2.8v.

I now know that there is a red-light warning of low voltage in the R50 Seeker. No blinky mode, only a steady red light. The catch is that the duration of the red light warning before light cut-off can be rather short and very dependent on the output level.

On high, the red-light warning might last less than a minute. When set at the lowest level, the warning might last several minutes. Furthermore, it appears that there may be a step-down from high to medium, again dependent on the cell voltage progression.

Said differently, an output step-down may almost coincide with a shutoff of light. A red-light warning of less than a minute is easily missed on a walk. From a design aspect, the red-light warning trigger should occur at a higher voltage level relative to the cut-off level.

In the future, I will have to more assiduously monitor the difference in output between turbo and high, which seems to be a good indicator of low cell voltage for many lights. In any case, I strongly prefer to initiate charging at no less than 3.5v to facilitate a long life for the cell. Generally I will run a top-off charge before any longer usage event.

tops2

Enlightened
Thanks for the updates! Very informative.

I'm a little confused about the low voltage and the light cutoff. The first night when the light cut off, I guess the light didn't step down? Or were you experimenting with the levels so it was hard to tell when the light stepped down? And in you earlier post you mentioned the light when it cutoff was about 3.55V, but your newer post mentioned the cut off is about 2.8V?

But anyways, thanks for all your work and keeping us updated! I didn't pay attention to this light until the first reviews/impressions came in and am now a bit interested. Looks like this light is a good balance between a thrower/flooder to me..

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the updates! Very informative.

I'm a little confused about the low voltage and the light cutoff. The first night when the light cut off, I guess the light didn't step down? Or were you experimenting with the levels so it was hard to tell when the light stepped down? And in you earlier post you mentioned the light when it cutoff was about 3.55V, but your newer post mentioned the cut off is about 2.8V?

But anyways, thanks for all your work and keeping us updated! I didn't pay attention to this light until the first reviews/impressions came in and am now a bit interested. Looks like this light is a good balance between a thrower/flooder to me..

sorry for the response delay - on travel all day yesterday till after 2200.

The first evening the light cut out while I was on my evening walk in a dark area of a warehouse district bordering on some woods. I had switched levels several times, but at the time of cut-off, I was looking at a spot where a warehouse meets the woods - not at the light - and did not notice a level change. I did not use turbo since the light was already warm from previous checks of turbo vs high output.

During that walk, I did not see either a red light or a step-down - the light abruptly cut off. Only later did I understand that I could have broken the circuit by loosening the tailcap, waiting a bit, re-tightening, and I probably would have had an output before returning to the apt.

It took about 1/2 hour before I returned to my apt and actually measured the cell open-circuit: 3.55v. However that half hour was relatively long and sufficient to recover from the cut-off voltage of ~2.8v back up to ~3.5v. That recovery is not inconsistent with a first discharge on a new large-capacity cell.

Only later when I explored the actual cut-off voltage by repeatedly running the light down to cut-off w/o any charging did I discover what the actual cut-off voltage really was, and that the red light was visible before cut-off, albeit short. I had to be quick on measuring the OC voltage since the cell recovered fairly quickly until it really was discharged to ~2.8v. Only at the very end of testing did I realize that the light also dropped from high to med just before cut-off.

First impressions can be deceiving! Nevertheless, discovering the limits of a new light during actual use commonly entails unpleasant discoveries.

All in all, a nice light. good output/runtime for the size and 26650 cell. and rechargeable in-light. Would I purchase the R50 Pro? not sure if the bump in output is worth the bump in price. The charging cradle is of little use for me, maybe for my nephew, although he already has the R40.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was pitch dark, how would you find the side click power button asap? Do you have to roll it around in your hand to find the switch or do you feel for the hex feature on the neck or .....?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was pitch dark, how would you find the side click power button asap? Do you have to roll it around in your hand to find the switch or do you feel for the hex feature on the neck or .....?
Funny you should mention that.

That's exactly what I have to do with my brain, to turn it on. And...

....the same thing with other flashlights. :)

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
regarding finding a side power button in the dark: << No, I do not like rear clickies.>>

=> I install the 'wrist strap', either as supplied from the manufacturer or I use an after-market wrist strap.

=> Then while walking, I normally loop it around in my wrist and hand such that the strap is relatively tight and either a thumb or finger sits directly on the light switch. That way even if I lose a hand grip on the light, it is still hanging on my wrist. Obviously not a good idea around machinery...

=> I always add a couple hot glue dots to either side of the switch area for easy feel in the dark of approximately where the switch is. Never directly on the switch.

=> for roll minimization, I add a few hot glue dots around the tail cap of the light - 4-6 or so. That way for 'straight' lights, I know which end is which, and I can easily catch the end if the hand grip on the main barrel of the light is lost.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
for a few days in late August (I think 8/27 thru 8/29 but please check olight site to make sure), there is a 25% off sale on all products including the R50. So retail is $119, sale will be $90! Wow.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Olight, was wondering when we might be seeing the arrival of the R50 Pro. Is there an official release date on this or an approximate release date. Thanks!

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited: