Ra Clicky (HDS Systems EDC) - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

u238

Newly Enlightened
Did you remove the external O-ring? It's just a spacer that's not meant to be used when you're using the clip.

--flatline
Yes, but removing the oring frees up the gap and allows the clip to rotate. Leaving it on with the clip sort of solves the problem, but the oring squeezes out. The problem is that either the clip is too thin or the tailcap bottoms out too early. But honestly, it's the least of my concern. I do expect a nearly dust and scratch free emitter and reflector, however. My $40-60 lights have none of those problems, why should a $200 light.

nbp

Flashaholic
Got my first HDS light (170t) and I am not at all impressed. The emitter and reflector are extremely dusty compared to any of my other lights. The reflector also has a substantial scratch in it. The tailcap bottoms out before the pocket clip is tight, so the clip easily rotates.

Edit:
I called them and they downplayed the dust issue, basically calling it normal. Of course they want me to ship the light back on my dime to be looked at.

Here, try something for me once, see if it works. Turn the flashlight away from your face. Now push the button on the back. Can you still see the dust specks? That has fixed the problem on several lights for me in the past.

u238

Newly Enlightened
Here, try something for me once, see if it works. Turn the flashlight away from your face. Now push the button on the back. Can you still see the dust specks? That has fixed the problem on several lights for me in the past.
Amusing. Despite buying this light for function, not to look at, I find extensive dust and scratches on the reflector and emitter unacceptable.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

:crackup:

That said, I would be REALLY mad if I had dust AND scratches in a light that expensive. Dust I can deal with (and clean out) but scratches are NOT ok.

iacchus

Enlightened
Yes, but removing the oring frees up the gap and allows the clip to rotate. Leaving it on with the clip sort of solves the problem, but the oring squeezes out. The problem is that either the clip is too thin or the tailcap bottoms out too early.

Sometimes it is really tough to get the tailcap thoroughly tightened once the clip is installed. I hate taking my tailcap off because of this. If the clip spins, you likely just need to tighten the tailcap more (it likely isn't bottomed out yet). The O-ring that seals the cap makes it tough to get that last little bit.

At least, I could see how someone could come to the conclusion you did when trying to install the clip on my light, which has no problems whatsoever.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Amusing. Despite buying this light for function, not to look at, I find extensive dust and scratches on the reflector and emitter unacceptable.

I'm assuming that you purchased this new. Is it a custom Clicky ordered directly from HDS, or is it a standard 170 tactical model purchased from a dealer ? I agree, a scratched reflector is unacceptable and first I've heard of this problem. Does it affect the quality of the beam ? The excessive dust is a real head scratcher. How much dust are we talking about ? I imagine that the lights are assembled in a clean room. Is it possible for you to post some photos.

As for the clip, did you remove the internal O-ring as well prior to slipping the clip on ? Obviously it needs to go back on before you screw the tailcap. My tailcap were a bit tight at first, but after applying some lube, it screws in smoothly. None of my clips rotate once I've screwed the tail cap back on.

u238

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming that you purchased this new. Is it a custom Clicky ordered directly from HDS, or is it a standard 170 tactical model purchased from a dealer ? I agree, a scratched reflector is unacceptable and first I've heard of this problem. Does it affect the quality of the beam ? The excessive dust is a real head scratcher. How much dust are we talking about ? I imagine that the lights are assembled in a clean room. Is it possible for you to post some photos.

As for the clip, did you remove the internal O-ring as well prior to slipping the clip on ? Obviously it needs to go back on before you screw the tailcap. My tailcap were a bit tight at first, but after applying some lube, it screws in smoothly. None of my clips rotate once I've screwed the tail cap back on.
The light is a standard 170T purchased from a dealer. I haven't really checked out the beam carefully, but the scratch doesn't appear to affect the beam quality. However, it's a significant scratch, easily visible by looking at the reflector when illuminated. I can't really quantify the amount of dust, but it is far more than I can see in my 6P, 6P with KX4, G2, 4sevens Mini and m60 drop in. Also, none of these light have any dust that is actually on the emitter, but the Clicky does. HDS informed me that the lights are not assembled in a clean room and to expect some dust, but this beyond anything I've seen. As far as the clip, it is simply an issue of the gap between the body and tailcap being too great to clamp down on the clip. I torqued that sucker down with all my strength. It's not getting any tighter, and it still slips easily.

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
The light is a standard 170T purchased from a dealer. I haven't really checked out the beam carefully, but the scratch doesn't appear to affect the beam quality. However, it's a significant scratch, easily visible by looking at the reflector when illuminated. I can't really quantify the amount of dust, but it is far more than I can see in my 6P, 6P with KX4, G2, 4sevens Mini and m60 drop in. Also, none of these light have any dust that is actually on the emitter, but the Clicky does. HDS informed me that the lights are not assembled in a clean room and to expect some dust, but this beyond anything I've seen. As far as the clip, it is simply an issue of the gap between the body and tailcap being too great to clamp down on the clip. I torqued that sucker down with all my strength. It's not getting any tighter, and it still slips easily.

When it came from the dealer, did it have all the documentation and packaging ? Did it look like it had been unopened. I realize that the Clicky just come in a ziplock bag, but are there any signs that this may have been a customer returned item that the dealer has "recycled". Also, what could have happened is that another customer may have wanted an Executive model with a black bezel and the dealer sourced it from your 170T and ordered a replacement from HDS. Meanwhile, your reflector may have been sitting on a shelf gathering dust and getting scratched. This would explain why the reflector is dusty but the emitter is dust-free. I think a lot of customers favour the default Executive programming + flush tailcap but with a black bezel. I know I did and that's why I had to choose to go the custom clicky option. It may explain the scratched reflector and the excessive dust. I'm not trying to make excuses for my favourite light, just simply trying to come up with some other plausible scenarios. I'm not sure if the rules permit you to name the dealer. Probably not. Can you please PM me which dealer you purchsed this light from. I would very much like to know.

So if I get you correctly, you're saying that the groove for the clip is too wide. Am I correct ? Is it possible that your clip may be thinner. A possible solution may be to get the Moddoo clip from Oveready. It's heaps better IMHO (but also more expensive).

Last edited:

iacchus

Enlightened
Regardless, if you are not satisfied, it is a major purchase and you have every right to be upset.

Henry stands behind his lights. Itemize what you feel is wrong, ship your light to him, and dollars to doughnuts what you get back will be free from the issues you are concerned with.

Yes, you pay shipping, and from all reports, Henry is quite busy so it might not be two day turnaround, but he stands behind his lights and I have no doubt he will fix you up.

u238

Newly Enlightened
When it came from the dealer, did it have all the documentation and packaging ? Did it look like it had been unopened. I realize that the Clicky just come in a ziplock bag, but are there any signs that this may have been a customer returned item that the dealer has "recycled". Also, what could have happened is that another customer may have wanted an Executive model with a black bezel and the dealer sourced it from your 170T and ordered a replacement from HDS. Meanwhile, your reflector may have been sitting on a shelf gathering dust and getting scratched. This would explain why the reflector is dusty but the emitter is dust-free. I think a lot of customers favour the default Executive programming + flush tailcap but with a black bezel. I know I did and that's why I had to choose to go the custom clicky option. It may explain the scratched reflector and the excessive dust. I'm not trying to make excuses for my favourite light, just simply trying to come up with some other plausible scenarios. I'm not sure if the rules permit you to name the dealer. Probably not. Can you please PM me which dealer you purchsed this light from. I would very much like to know.

So if I get you correctly, you're saying that the groove for the clip is too wide. Am I correct ? Is it possible that your clip may be thinner. A possible solution may be to get the Moddoo clip from Oveready. It's heaps better IMHO (but also more expensive).
I might not have made it clear: the emitter does have dust or some foreign particles on it. I purchased the light from TaticalLEDs, and I have no reason to believe they are recycling a used product. I had to wait a bit for their shipment of lights to come in, and the guy I talked to is very friendly and helpful. I think this is purely a case of poor quality control.

I sent an email to the dealer to initiate an exchange with them, as I also had an issue with the old style bezel up clip I ordered with the light not fitting the (wrong hole spacing). I want to stress that I have no problem with TacticalLEDs and would certainly do business with them again.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Regardless, if you are not satisfied, it is a major purchase and you have every right to be upset.

Henry stands behind his lights. Itemize what you feel is wrong, ship your light to him, and dollars to doughnuts what you get back will be free from the issues you are concerned with.

Yes, you pay shipping, and from all reports, Henry is quite busy so it might not be two day turnaround, but he stands behind his lights and I have no doubt he will fix you up.

I agree....but first call should be at the point of sale. If you have legitimate grounds for a complaint and it sounds like you do, I would be seeking a replacement, or a refund so that you can then try another dealer if you're not happy with their service.

@ u238 Can you please clarify this earlier statement of yours: "I called them and they downplayed the dust issue, basically calling it normal." Who are you referring to ? The dealer or HDS ? I find it hard to imagine stating that a scratched reflector as "normal". I don't know Henry personally, but from all reports it sounds out of character.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I might not have made it clear: the emitter does have dust or some foreign particles on it. I purchased the light from TaticalLEDs, and I have no reason to believe they are recycling a used product. I had to wait a bit for their shipment of lights to come in, and the guy I talked to is very friendly and helpful. I think this is purely a case of poor quality control.

I sent an email to the dealer to initiate an exchange with them, as I also had an issue with the old style bezel up clip I ordered with the light not fitting the (wrong hole spacing). I want to stress that I have no problem with TacticalLEDs and would certainly do business with them again.

Sorry, I mis-read your post. I thought it was only the reflector that was dusty. My bad. I do hope you're wrong about the "poor quality control" but perhaps standards are slipping.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Sorry to stray off the current topic, but I just placed my order for an HDS 170T Custom the other day directly from HDS' website and paid via PayPal but never received any kind of email confirmation of my order.

This is my first purchase from HDS...so, for those that have ordered directly from HDS, do you usually get some kind of email confirmation of your order? Or is it just the PayPal receipt? :thinking:

billbunton

Newly Enlightened
This is my first purchase from HDS...so, for those that have ordered directly from HDS, do you usually get some kind of email confirmation of your order? Or is it just the PayPal receipt? :thinking:

My first purchase from HDS too :). I placed the order/paid on Saturday the 16th, and got email from Henry yesterday (the 19th) acknowledging receipt of the order.

Bill

u238

Newly Enlightened
I agree....but first call should be at the point of sale. If you have legitimate grounds for a complaint and it sounds like you do, I would be seeking a replacement, or a refund so that you can then try another dealer if you're not happy with their service.

@ u238 Can you please clarify this earlier statement of yours: "I called them and they downplayed the dust issue, basically calling it normal." Who are you referring to ? The dealer or HDS ? I find it hard to imagine stating that a scratched reflector as "normal". I don't know Henry personally, but from all reports it sounds out of character.

I called HDS and explained to them that there was dust in the reflector, significantly more than any other light I own. We had a conversation about reflectors and he said that some imperfections in the orange peel spray are normal as well as some amount of dust. Interestingly, he stated the same thing, not in the same words, but in all seriousness:
I may have neglected to mention the scratched reflector in the conversation as I was caught up in technical discussion about how foreign things can be introduced during manufacture of the light.

HIDblue

Enlightened
My first purchase from HDS too :). I placed the order/paid on Saturday the 16th, and got email from Henry yesterday (the 19th) acknowledging receipt of the order.

Bill

every time I have ordered directl from HDS I got an email from Henry titled "notification of payment received".
Maybe this has changed though. Dunno.

Thanks fellas. I just placed the order yesterday so the excitement and anticipation of my first HDS/Ra Clicky got the best of me. I'll just wait patiently then...:whistle:

chanjyj

Enlightened
I called HDS and explained to them that there was dust in the reflector, significantly more than any other light I own. We had a conversation about reflectors and he said that some imperfections in the orange peel spray are normal as well as some amount of dust. Interestingly, he stated the same thing, not in the same words, but in all seriousness:

I may have neglected to mention the scratched reflector in the conversation as I was caught up in technical discussion about how foreign things can be introduced during manufacture of the light.

I'll not be defending HDS in this thread, but if that is what Henry said, all I can conclude is - he's pretty much like me.

Practical, practical, practical.

I can understand how you are unhappy over your purchase. If I were to spend that amount I would probably feel the same (maybe for 30s :D).

Chill dude, may I make a suggestion? With all due respect, if you need "perfect lights" you might want to try Don's (McGizmo) lights.
To me, I go to HDS for utility. I pray hard for perfection, but I don't expect it. My light will probably end up being bashed, smashed, immersed in water and a dozen other ways that will ultimately spoil its cosmetic appearance in the end.

Performance wise though, it should be perfect. Reduce cognitive dissonance by telling yourself knowing that your light is going to get dinged at some point in its life.

u238

Newly Enlightened
I'll not be defending HDS in this thread, but if that is what Henry said, all I can conclude is - he's pretty much like me.

Practical, practical, practical.

I can understand how you are unhappy over your purchase. If I were to spend that amount I would probably feel the same (maybe for 30s :D).

Chill dude, may I make a suggestion? With all due respect, if you need "perfect lights" you might want to try Don's (McGizmo) lights.
To me, I go to HDS for utility. I pray hard for perfection, but I don't expect it. My light will probably end up being bashed, smashed, immersed in water and a dozen other ways that will ultimately spoil its cosmetic appearance in the end.

Performance wise though, it should be perfect. Reduce cognitive dissonance by telling yourself knowing that your light is going to get dinged at some point in its life.

Issues like anodizing specks and slightly off center bezels (both of which mine has) don't bother me in the slightest. My light will get tossed around and not babied. I do have a problem with the dust and scratch issues I'm complaining about. I don't think it's too much to ask, despite its place as a practical light, for it's reflector quality to be in line with other lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.