Ra Clicky (HDS Systems EDC) - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

antikythera

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean you hand-held the lens and then took the photo with the "traditional' (!) front of the lens pointing towards the camera?

Not to derail the thread, but there is a nifty bit of (wonderfully inexpensive) kit called a "macro reversal ring" that is a metal 52mm filter thread <-> Nikon F bayonet mount coupler. For a 50mm lens, the macro effects aren't *that* noticeable beyond a roughly halved minimum focusing distance because it is a "normal lens" as compared to, say, an 85mm (telephoto). The problems are that the process is fiddly, sharpness/image quality is not as good as a dedicated macro lens (surprise, surprise), and that zoom lenses/G lenses don't work easily, but it's dirt cheap and extremely effective. Best $12 i've ever spent on camera gear.

And now back to our previously scheduled programming: Cerakote! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Apparently, I was beaten to it. Oh well, the technique is worth mentioning twice!

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Not to derail the thread, but there is a nifty bit of (wonderfully inexpensive) kit called a "macro reversal ring" that is a metal 52mm filter thread <-> Nikon F bayonet mount coupler. For a 50mm lens, the macro effects aren't *that* noticeable beyond a roughly halved minimum focusing distance because it is a "normal lens" as compared to, say, an 85mm (telephoto). The problems are that the process is fiddly, sharpness/image quality is not as good as a dedicated macro lens (surprise, surprise), and that zoom lenses/G lenses don't work easily, but it's dirt cheap and extremely effective. Best $12 i've ever spent on camera gear.

And now back to our previously scheduled programming: Cerakote! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Apparently, I was beaten to it. Oh well, the technique is worth mentioning twice!

Hmm dude. You can save the $12, just hold the lens with your hand. It's not difficult, once you master the technique. It's not the first time I've done macro on-the-fly with this setup.

If you are a full time macro person I think a macro lens would be a better offering, I'm not comfortable with the weight of the lens put on the non-metal filter threads.

G lenses? Forget it. It was a terrible experience trying to tape the aperture switch down with scotch tape.

ayglass

Newly Enlightened
I'm with you iacchus, I had a 120 modded by Travis to have a warm light with the Molle clip for use in the woods with web gear or a hydro pack.

If it could be done, I would love to buy a new OD, Hi CRI light with the holes for the old Molle clip. My current Hi CRI light unfortunately has the wider spaced holes and can't take the retro clip. It's now my EDC with a Moddo clip.

Does anyone know what the new hole spacing is designed to fit? I didn't want to bug Henry with a million questions, but trying an old clip on a new light made me wonder.... Have I missed something important?

- Andy

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I'm with you iacchus, I had a 120 modded by Travis to have a warm light with the Molle clip for use in the woods with web gear or a hydro pack.

If it could be done, I would love to buy a new OD, Hi CRI light with the holes for the old Molle clip. My current Hi CRI light unfortunately has the wider spaced holes and can't take the retro clip. It's now my EDC with a Moddo clip.

Does anyone know what the new hole spacing is designed to fit? I didn't want to bug Henry with a million questions, but trying an old clip on a new light made me wonder.... Have I missed something important?

- Andy

You will be able to order a Ti clip with the wider spacing from wvaltakis2. He is about to do another run.....

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Couple of notes:

Anodize is not a coating in the traditional sense. Technically a form of rust, it is grown under controlled conditions. One of its strengths is that while it is growing up from the surface, it is also growing down below the surface, into the metal. So while the HA is blast treated before the Cerakote is applied, much of the original HA remains, reinforcing the paint above it. Without both, the coating would not be as strong. All Cerakote parts we commission have at least type II going in.

This production run is being done by the same people as each of the preceding custom runs. The results will be comparable.

White will be available, just not everywhere.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
chanjyj, I see no reason for the profanity and have edited your post - please be more considerate of others here with your use of language.
Edit: Thanks for the PM - most appreciated.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The time has come to start a new HDS thread. Anyone with an interest may do so.

Also, several recent posts along with their replies have been removed as advertising policy violations. Continued violations will result in account suspensions.

chanjyj, We have had several complaints about your posts. I suggest complying with Kestrels suggestions if you wish to participate here.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.