Ra Clicky Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes1

Enlightened
I for one am happy that I pre ordered a 170 cn yes I will be losing 30 lumens (is that really a big deal?) I did however save $50 I will still be getting an EDC light that is on the bleeding edge I frankly do not see a down side.
Please lets not have anymore of that auction talk if at some point the 170s become available I would rather pay a fair price set by Henry

Mike

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Ditto yaesumofo!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a flashlight folks....quit acting like it's like somebody attacking your kid sister.
I do not believe my last few posts reflect anything other than my own disappointment. I, at no time, attack Henry or his right to do for any individuals what he chooses to do. I have not threatened or demeaned anyone. I am still anxiously awaiting my Clicky. What's wrong with voicing my own opinion? I guess freedom of speech isn't as appreciated here as I thought it was.

tricker

Enlightened
I do not believe my last few posts reflect anything other than my own disappointment. I, at no time, attack Henry or his right to do for any individuals what he chooses to do. I have not threatened or demeaned anyone. I am still anxiously awaiting my Clicky. What's wrong with voicing my own opinion? I guess freedom of speech isn't as appreciated here as I thought it was.

freedom of speech is appreciated....thats why they are allowed to disagree with you, i imagine all that agree with you are just sitting at there computer and feel no need to respond further

luxlover

Banned
Freedom of speech is alive and well here in Brooklyn NYC.....as long as you agree with me! :devil: As we say in Brooklyn, "if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!"

Seriously, say what you want and I will always listen. :party:

Jeff

luxlover

Banned
Freedom of speech is appreciated....that's why they are allowed to disagree with you. I imagine all who agree with you are just sitting at their computer and feel no need to respond further.
Profound statement. We all have a habit of jumping into action when we disagree with the opinion of others, rarely giving the poster a high five when we agree. I have been guilty of that "shortcoming", and will change my evil ways heretofore! :twothumbs

Jeff

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, if 170 vs 140 lumens for 10 sec is really that important to people, they can cancel their order and wait.

Back on topic, I would like to know how well it handles and how durable the clicky switch is compared to the twisty. Is this also "the light that gets you home"? It seems to be the main selling point for the twisty and we have seen lots of smash up testing. Anything like that for the clicky, Henry?

Well I'd say all of Henry's lights are based on that "light that gets you home" philosophy. It's got an improved system over the Novatac for holding the battery and keeping it from crushing or damage. IMO it's likely tougher than anything to date.

yotom

Newly Enlightened
High five, Dead_Nuts...They are just bollocking you to get the ´very special status´ of Dadof6:nana:
Really smart guys with a lastmanstanding attitude.

Like you mentioned before: a semi-free country, after all...

Sorry for being OT,

have fun,

Tom

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
freedom of speech is appreciated....thats why they are allowed to disagree with you, i imagine all that agree with you are just sitting at there computer and feel no need to respond further
Perhaps 'freedom of speech' is going too far. I apologize, as I've never been made to feel that way on this site.

I was responding to terms such as "crying" and "whining" and "not very mature". These, to me, are terms used to attack another person's position by belittling it. If you want to disagree and have a discussion about it -- great. Trying to cut off discussion by impuning the opposing point, is the tactic of a poor debater.

I am not one of those people saying how fed up I am with Henry or calling him names or saying I will not buy his products ever again. In fact, I will probably pre-order products from him again in the future (as I have done with both Ra lights now). In retrospect, perhaps I should have just left it at "I'm disappointed" and moved on.

I'm disappointed.

tricker

Enlightened
i mean i see no problem in your first post....if thats the way you feel more power to you....to be honest i was dissapointed that the 170 was marketed to a "special" consumer group......I mean when the arcs where sold on ebay many people where pissed, but no one really talks about it now....all things come to pass.....I would have loved it if the general public ,i.e. ME, would've had a chance at one of those lights.....I mean henry has one and atleast one other person.....Henry's explanation has more than enough to calm me as to why the 170's won't come to furition just yet.....Henry gave us all a chance to buy a proto-type...If i weren't a CPF member that would be unfair....but henry spends much time on here and has answered every e mail i have ever sent him within 1 day, there's some respect in that...and he backs his products( even if they wear a different brand name)....SO i still support him

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
to be honest i was dissapointed that the 170 was marketed to a "special" consumer group......I mean when the arcs where sold on ebay many people where pissed, but no one really talks about it now....

I never really got that one...
If anything, that's the exact opposite of the situation you've described in the first (quoted) sentence - instead of giving a selected few an opportunity to buy the prototype Arc6's, it allowed anyone to get in on the auctions and buy one.

So it looks like no matter how you turn it - there'll always be someone feeling left out, ignored or hurt.

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
This has most likely been answeared on here before but after much searching I cannot find the reason why the Twisty is advertised as having 120 lm + 1 hour runtime and the clicky 100 lm with 1 hour runtime.
Would somone please enlighten me or give me a link where I can read up?

At the end of the day, I am having one of these lights as I need something that works when I need it to. I also think there great looking and will be proud to EDC one.

Last edited:

zenas

Newly Enlightened
This has most likely been answeared on here before but after much searching I cannot find the reason why the Twisty is advertised as having 120 lm + 1 hour runtime and the clicky 100 lm with 1 hour runtime.
Would somone please enlighten me or give me a link where I can read up?

It's not the Twisty in general which is rated at 120 lm for 1 hour, it is just the "special" 120 lm version of the Twisty (like the 170C "was" special for the Clicky). Standard versions for the Twisty include 85 Tr and 100 Tw. (which is equivalent to the 140C Clickys)

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
It's not the Twisty in general which is rated at 120 lm for 1 hour, it is just the "special" 120 lm version of the Twisty (like the 170C "was" special for the Clicky). Standard versions for the Twisty include 85 Tr and 100 Tw. (which is equivalent to the 140C Clickys)

Thanks for clearing that up!
Not long now! My Jetbeam Military is on it's way too, hopefuly have that by the end of the week.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
i was dissapointed that the 170 was marketed to a "special" consumer group.
I don't think I understand what you're referring to here. It wasn't marketed to a special consumer group, it was marketed to everyone who wanted one. Then supply fell short of demand and there was no choice but to remove them from the production lineup. After that point, they were not marketed to anyone; so far, one person has one because of a fortunate circumstance. Others may also acquire one due to similar circumstances. I'm not seeing any marketing or picking of special groups here.

. . . I would have loved it if the general public ,i.e. ME, would've had a chance at one of those lights...
As my Croat friend already said, in the situation you mention, you technically were given a chance at those lights, more of a chance than if it were just made a race, with the prize going to whoever was in the right place at the right time. You had all the time in the world to sell your worldly possessions and outbid the competition in an honest contest of supply and demand. And as it happens, the later ones sold for less than the set price of purchasing through the normal channels, so you were given the very best chance possible through that. That doesn't make it right, I'm not defending it, and I'm not saying it was entirely wrong either; I'm just pointing out that your complaint doesn't really hold up to the reality of what happened. If every one had been bid up far beyond the chosen set sale price, rather than sometimes coming in below, you'd have more of a point but it wouldn't change the fact that it was open to anyone committed enough and there was no element of luck or discrimination involved. Also, the reason it's not talked about anymore is because everyone who went through it is pretty sick of talking about it. It shouldn't necessarily be glossed over, but let's be careful about reviving it, especially in an inappropriate place to discuss it.

I mean henry has one and atleast one other person...
Henry also has a remarkably fine mustache, that doesn't mean he's obliged to teach you how to grow one of equal quality. :)

Henry gave us all a chance to buy a proto-type...If i weren't a CPF member that would be unfair...
The fans of Henry's lights spread far beyond the bounds of just this forum, and none of them were excluded from buying any of his lights. CPF membership was never a requirement to buy one, this isn't even the only place they were offered for sale. There was nothing unfair about it.

and he backs his products( even if they wear a different brand name)...
All of the lights backed by HDS wear the HDS brand. HDS Systems still exists, Ra is simply a dba (doing business as) marketing name they've chosen to use on the current products. Or, if you want to get literal about it, the HDS EDCs don't wear any brand name, they have only model info engraved on the side.

I was responding to terms such as "crying" and "whining" and "not very mature". These, to me, are terms used to attack another person's position by belittling it. If you want to disagree and have a discussion about it -- great. Trying to cut off discussion by impuning the opposing point, is the tactic of a poor debater.
Since a quick search shows that, aside from yaesu's signature, I'm the only one who used the word "cry," I feel I should respond to this; but, since I have trouble keeping anything brief, I'll pm you rather than waste everyone's time with it. In short, you have no need to defend yourself to me, I don't disagree with anything you've said, nothing I said had anything to do with your behavior at all, and the wording you take issue with was directed towards poor attitudes of living that are related to some of the styles of reaction exhibited here, not at any particular example. Also it was mostly just a bit of poking fun.

Last edited:

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
Well after Reading that lot I'am not even going to comment.

Can we get back on topic now please, Henrys sending some of these to the UK soon and My names on one of them! :)

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Can we get back on topic now please, Henrys sending some of these to the UK soon and My names on one of them! :)
Agreed. I'd like to hear more from those who have received their ship notifications, and there's been a rather conspicuous dearth of usage reports and photos here. Will no one treat us to a comparison of beamshots, rather than just telling us what it's very similar to? Maybe outdoor shots? How does the larger size fit your hand? Does the switch feel like past models'? Is the click louder, softer? Anything. Someone must own one and be willing to ramble about it a little for our enjoyment. :candle:

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Agreed. I'd like to hear more from those who have received their ship notifications, and there's been a rather conspicuous dearth of usage reports and photos here. Will no one treat us to a comparison of beamshots, rather than just telling us what it's very similar to? Maybe outdoor shots? How does the larger size fit your hand? Does the switch feel like past models'? Is the click louder, softer? Anything. Someone must own one and be willing to ramble about it a little for our enjoyment. :candle:
And on this topic... Is the button feel 'hard' or 'soft'? One big difference between my U60 and my Novatac 120P is that the Novatac button is much easier to press. I'd prefer this as I don't plan to take the light down to 66 feet (which is presumably the reason for the choice of a 'hard' button for the U60).

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 170c availability issue reminds me of the U85 and ActionLight III release. I think plenty of people pre-ordered those too. The AL III never did happen and only a handful of U85's ever made it to market. For instance only 12 U85's out of 660 EDCs posted ever showed up on the HDS registry. I'm certainly glad I didn't pay to get one, my SSC modded B42 is brighter!

Considering the Ra Clicky Poll showed the 120 (aka 170) model to be more popular by a 3 to 1 ratio I would imagine that would create a huge supply demand problem if only a handful of 120/170s could be made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.