Ra Twisty & Clicky Information Repository

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ra Twisty Info Repository and Review

...Might be kinda cool to see how waterproof it is after weeks under water What do you think.

Since you asked -- I would not leave such an expensive light under water deliberately for a long period of time nor would I purchase a used light from someone knowing it had been under water.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Since you asked -- I would not leave such an expensive light under water deliberately for a long period of time nor would I purchase a used light from someone knowing it had been under water.

Thanks for your input but don't plan on getting rid of it just yet and rest assured if i did i would make it know that this test took place.And the piece of mind that i would get from the info would be well worth it Hey it's a flashlight not jewelry

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your input but .....Hey it's a flashlight not jewelry

That's why I would use it like a flashlight and not beat it like a rented mule. :)

Let us know the results of your experiment(s).

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your input but don't plan on getting rid of it just yet and rest assured if i did i would make it know that this test took place.And the piece of mind that i would get from the info would be well worth it Hey it's a flashlight not jewelry

Here here, that's a manly answer.

TG if you were to sell the light and I were to be looking for a twisty I'd buy it from you knowing this test took this.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

That's why I would use it like a flashlight and not beat it like a rented mule. :)

Let us know the results of your experiment(s).

The darn thing is an HDS it was built by a caver it is probably one of the toughtest lights out there a little time under water should not hurt it.But we will see.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

OK continuing run time test with twisty out of water "I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT":sick2:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

Has anyone actually done a beamshot comparision of the TR twistys to the TWs???
Cheers:twothumbs

I don't think I've seen a TR and a TW on a whitewall together.....If someone wants to send me a TW version, I'd be happy to do it! :tinfoil:

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Did it leak?

First after two full days under water there was not a single drop of water anywhere in the light.What happend was the little spots of missing ano on the body started to oxidize a little.However,when i ran it under some clead water and some soap it's brand new again.Not sure why but anyways run test is still going and will keep you all updated

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

I've owned the Twisty for a little over a month now (wow, time flies).. I went on a fairly major hiking trip up into the Sierras (link pictures soon) during that time and have also been carrying the Twisty with me every day, and using it to light my room at night. I've found that fairly low-medium levels from around 15lm to 5.8lm are amazing for ceiling bouncing the beam and illuminating the room enough to walk around in. I use RCR in the Twisty, and I like to think I'm saving energy by not using a 45W bulb to do the same job.

Anyway, a few things to note are:

1) The twist of the Twisty becomes much easier over time. It is indeed still tightly sealed by the o-ring, however comparing to how stiff it was when I first received it and now, there is a tremendous improvement in the ability for me to operate the Twisty with one hand.

2) Although the tint is rather lavender, or violet mixed with pure white, the beam redeems itself in that it is artifact/ring free and transitions smoothly. I've found that outside trees and other foliage look somewhat flat with the tint, but when inside it's rather pleasing to have a beam that has such a smooth and satisfying transition from spot to flood. As 'narrow' as it is, it actually is the widest beam pattern that I own.. So in short, the tint is trumped by the large and smooth beam profile during indoor use.

3) A not so positive thing is that preparing to use the Twisty is the only way to make it truly effective. I've noticed that I'd put myself into situations subconsciously where I need to activate the twisty, but my hands are full carrying other things. Having a clicky tailcap (soon to come) would solve the problem, but trying to twist the twisty after your hands are full is a pain. Obviously, but annoyingly the solution is to turn the Twisty on before you need it.

... I think I may also add that after 2-3 weeks I decided to change out the o-ring for the one that was included in the bag of grease. I was compelled to do this because the primary o-ring was beginning to 'flatten out' and actually allowed too much room for the tailcap to tilt inside the head. It wasn't loose or anything, but I felt that trying to thread the body and tailcap together became more difficult and caused me to have to struggle a bit to get the threads to mate. As soon as I replaced the o-ring the play was removed and the threads would bite on the first try... I guess that's something to keep in mind.

As far as twisting goes, a user has shown me by far the most ingenious method for improving grip. They slipped a piece of knurled rubber around the end of the tailcap, and over the SS bezel, which enabled them to achieve one handed operation relatively early in the 'break-in' stages of the light. It also most likely will protect the bezel from unnecessary scratches and cosmetic damage from drops. I would assume that the improved grip from the rubber also helps keep the Twisty in a pocket, because unfortunately the tailcap and clip combo is not available yet.

Anything else I should note?... Well.. With the mention of an 18670 battery tube, I went ahead and purchased one.. These prototype tubes are just a little too small on the internal diameter to fit some of the larger LG and AW cells, however I was compelled to purchase one anyway. I would assume that with a little bit of work I can increase the internal diameter to allow all cells to fit. More updates to come!

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

Just a small mention about the 18670 tube.. I received my prototype tube in the mail today... The anodize is a perfect match, threads are exactly the same as the stock tailcap and the o-ring came unlubed.... After a bit of lube on the threads and a test mating to the head, I attempted to install one of my many 18650 cells that I recovered out of an old laptop battery. They are not branded nor do they have a protection circuit.
I tried to install one of them carefully into the tube, and noticed a tight fit... I experimented a little and noticed a tremendous amount of vacuum that first resists the cell as it slides in, and then grips the cell as it slides out...... I wasn't sure if what would happen if I pushed the cell all the way in, so I only pushed it half way, and then kind of shook the tube to see if the cell would come back out.... Luckily for me, it did!
So.. I got some 600 grit sand paper, and went around the exterior of the cells, and also just a few rotations on the inside of the tube as well. I slowly slid the cell into the tube, confidently pressed it all the way in until the spring at the bottom was noticed and I stopped... I shook the tube, the battery slid out enough to be grabbed and retrieved if necessary. Yay!!

So, I install the cell, and everything works great, the size is amazing in the hand, it gives the Twisty a new sensation of GIRTH, though it's not too big to pocket carry... It seems just a bit fatter, and a bit shorter than a 2xAA mini-mag... Pictures and Runtime on high soon!!!!! I started a runtime at 85lm at 1:01pm and it's now 3:12pm with no sign of dimming. I've got the twisty resting on a wet towel to help disperse heat, but so far I haven't noticed the thermal management kick in yet....

Over all, in my circumstance and situation, I think I won!! the prototype 18670 tube works perfect for me and I couldn't be happier about that....

The only thing I need now are Tube Caps!!!!!!! I've got a 1xCR123 tail laying around now with a cell and no way to protect the threads against dust and debris..

EDIT: Well I just took a moment to visually inspect the body tube... I noticed that the knurling is a little more "grippy" than the regular knurling.. The diamonds have a bit more peak to them... Perhaps also the reflective properties of the surface are a bit more matte, rather than as glossy as the head portion of the knurling...
The back side of the tailcap has just one large groove and two lanyard holes across from one another.. It looks like a giant flat-head screwdriver slot. I wonder if that can be unscrewed to service the spring, and perhaps retrieve a stuck battery? I'll check that out later.

By the way, Runtime is now at 2 hours 33 minutes!!!!!!!! No significant visual drop in brightness!!!!!

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

OK... Finalized runtime on a 18650 when used by a Ra Twisty 85tr at 85lm.
1:01pm - 3:58pm. 177 minutes to the distinctive "blink and drop" of the electronics dropping down. Now it seems about every minute or so it's double blinking at me - the low battery warning.

2 hours 57 minute runtime on high using no-name unprotected 18650 cell!!!!

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

Here's some pictures of the prototype 18670 battery tube.

twistyl1.jpg

bodys.jpg

tubes.jpg

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's some pictures of the prototype 18670 battery tube.

twistyl1.jpg

bodys.jpg

tubes.jpg

Incredible runtime! I cannot wait for this to be released. I'll be picking up one or two!!!:twothumbs

Thanks for the effort of the runtime test. Wow.

Great pics too. How'd you get a tube so early???:thinking:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

Incredible runtime! I cannot wait for this to be released. I'll be picking up one or two!!!:twothumbs

Thanks for the effort of the runtime test. Wow.

Great pics too. How'd you get a tube so early???:thinking:

Thanks Chronos!... This tube I have is one of the prototypes that Henry made available to us.. If he still has any, you can e-mail him and he'll fill you in with specifics. Basically though, it's $60 for the tube, and the reason for it being a prototype is because the internal diameter of the tube is just a bit too small to allow for regular sized AW 18650 cells... As it is now, I had to sand down the surface plastic of my 18650 cells to make them barely fit... Really, I have to shake the tube violently a few times so that the cell slides out and can be removed. It's a minor issue for me really, but by far not meant for production. Anyway, I'd hope that with the production tubes Henry will include at least a plastic cap to go over the threads.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

This is where I'll write about my adventure to the Sierra... For now, just a teaser pic.

caughtwithlights.JPG

(This is what happens when you spend 4 days with a Twisty in the middle of nowhere)

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am jealous! It seems that you are able to get out into the woods quite often... I have to wait for about another 8 years before I can do that too.