Ra Twisty & Clicky Information Repository

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ra Twisty Info Repository and Review

I am jealous! It seems that you are able to get out into the woods quite often... I have to wait for about another 8 years before I can do that too.
I'm at least 10 years away... sigh.

Great, fun pics. It looks like a "Mutual of Omaha" moment, catching two rare species in mating season. :):nana:

Thanks for the info on your 18670 tube... I am anxiously awaiting the release!!!

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

I'm at least 10 years away... sigh.

Great, fun pics. It looks like a "Mutual of Omaha" moment, catching two rare species in mating season. :):nana:

Thanks for the info on your 18670 tube... I am anxiously awaiting the release!!!

Haha... HDS and CMG babies?? That would be one hell of a tough offspring!
*It's true, I went on a CMG collecting spree and own all of them except the blue/green LED. Many of them are in use, some are not... The one in the pictures is a Red LED CMG, my favorite.

You're welcome... I'm glad I have the time to mess around with flashlights and share the info with all of you here. My freedom wont last much longer, so I'm taking advantage of it.

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe im blind, search didnt help, maybe buried within all the info, but...

what is the runtime for the twisty on its lowest setting?

ive seen answers from 13 hours (wrong) to 39 to 30 days? help please! ive been doing my own informal tests, and the light turns off after ~4 days, and im wondering if this is about right. seems way short to me, so im wondering if somethings wrong. both my tests turned off ~4 days...

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

...what is the runtime for the twisty on its lowest setting?...

here is my understanding, based upon info garnered fr/various sources, contained in an XL spreadsheet i've been building over the years:

supposedly, ~36h for the red LED.

supposedly, ~240h for the white LED at the factory default level of ~0.3 lumen (same as the NovaTac EDC 120P, BTW).

if the NovaTac EDC 120P is any reference of comparison, the 120P's on its lowest programmable setting of ~0.08 lumens, which is essentially approx. the same in the various Twisty versions, burns for ~960h.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Enzo, that wallet shot of the red beam on the 85tr was exactly what I was looking for...Perfect.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

Well it is with a sad heart that I write about some of the last moments of my Original Ra Twisty 85Tr....
On 7-12-08 I noticed some rather unusual behavior coming from the Twisty... It seemed that the distance of twist between the three positions was changing somewhat randomly.. At some points, position one (low red) would only come on for a brief moment, immediately jumping to position two... Then position two would last for a considerable distance before switching to position three....

I opened up the Twisty and had a look at the U-wires that are used and noticed that one of the legs of the U had broken off of the solder pad and was able to be manipulated... .
I contacted Henry about the issue and he said that some of those solder joints weren't executed as well as he had hoped, and explained to me that if the large U wire breaks off completely then position one and position three will work, but position two will not... If the small U wire breaks then position two and position three work, but position one will not...Basically the Twisty will always function because under any circumstance position three will always be activated when the body is screwed in all the way.

So... with a tear in my eye, i packaged up my Twisty and sent it off, thinking it was just going to get a nice new solder job... Instead Henry informs me that the forces which govern his ability to resolder my U wires were not cooperating, so he granted me the use of a new head...

He mails it back, and to my surprise, I end up getting a new serial number and everything.. My New twisty even had a red splotch on the PCB to distinguish that it was a Tr version; something my original 85Tr did not have.

So now, everything is back to normal, except that my dear friend #0216 has been sent back to home to live life as a disabled Twisty... and now my new friend #2175 will have to pick up the slack and go on some adventures with me...
I am sad for my loss of #0216, since the serial was so low... It was dear to me...

Now though, I guess I'll just have to stop anthropomorphizing my flashlights and just get back to using them.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

I just wanted to post something fun about the Ra Twisty 85Tr...

Because I have a prototype 18670 battery case, I started to wonder about possibilities....

So..... First I saw an L91 AA laying on my desk..... Then, I saw an aluminum 15mm charging spacer for my liion cells and charger...

"Hmm" I thought to myself...

15mm + AA = 14650...

So.. I scotch taped the spacer to the AA and put it in the 18670 battery case... Started threading the Twisty together, and noticed the battery indicator flash!... Kept turning... Oh my Goodness!!! Red actually comes on..... ok.. this could get good....really good..... Switch to position two, which I have set to level 11, 2.7lm... Awwwww :mecry: It comes on, but it's doing the one flash per second "Change my batteries" blink...

So close to having something sooooo awesome.... 1xAA Ra Twisty 85Tr..

The cool part is that the low red seems to work without interruption (didn't do a runtime on it though), so I guess under some strange circumstance of only having a 15mm spacer and a L91AA I could run low red...

In conclusion.. Despite the Ra Clicky coming out, I still want a 2xAA tube for my Twisty. My dream setup would be: Ra Clicky 120Cngt (yes, that's right, a non existent GT tint with a Narrow beam) with both the 18670 and 2xAA pack. And of course my trusty Ra Twisty 85Tr with 2xAA.

Seriously.. When I have those things, why will I need another flashlight? I suspect I could go a year without buying a single torch.. maybe longer.

UWAK

Enlightened

Enzo, I hope your Twisty problem is not a bug. It makes me nervous. Btw BS listing a 17345 battery tube. Anybody knows about this battery type?

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

Enzo, I hope your Twisty problem is not a bug. It makes me nervous. Btw BS listing a 17345 battery tube. Anybody knows about this battery type?

As far as I'm concerned the solder joints being weak isn't a bug, but just a flaw in the earlier produced torches.. I was told by Henry that the newer production of Twisties will not have this weak soldering, so that should effectively reduce the probability of people having issues.

The 17345 battery tube is described as being the "stock" tube. It uses the standard CR/RCR123 cell.

UWAK

Enlightened

Well I hope mine # 0692 is the newer production then:)

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

Well.. Just like to note that the Ra Twisty can run off of RCR2 cells.
I got 11 minutes on high from a slightly used AW RCR2.
Not too shabby eh? And to top it off, the battery fits just fine without spacers. It doesn't rattle either.. Pretty cool I suppose.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

here is my understanding, based upon info garnered fr/various sources, contained in an XL spreadsheet i've been building over the years:

supposedly, ~36h for the red LED.

supposedly, ~240h for the white LED at the factory default level of ~0.3 lumen (same as the NovaTac EDC 120P, BTW).

if the NovaTac EDC 120P is any reference of comparison, the 120P's on its lowest programmable setting of ~0.08 lumens, which is essentially approx. the same in the various Twisty versions, burns for ~960h.

hope this helps.

I have done a runtime test three times with my 70Tr and 120Tw on 0.3 lumen and i get a little over 5 days.Does that sound right:thinking:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

I have done a runtime test three times with my 70Tr and 120Tw on 0.3 lumen and i get a little over 5 days. Does that sound right:thinking:

Well.. if we take the "~240h for the white LED at the factory default level of ~0.3 lumen" Then 24 hours in a day for 10 days is 240 hours total.

The estimate is 10 days at .3lm and you're getting a little over 5 days. I think this is telling us that the ~240h is a very rough estimate.

Your 120Tw is using Level 5 to produce .33lm, and the 70Tr is using Level 6 for .39lm on the charts, right?

I'll run a test on my 85Tr set to Level 5 and let you know what turns out.

EDIT: Ok, 85Tr @ 0.33lm runtime started on Tuesday Aug 19th, 2008 at 5:00pm.

Last edited:

UWAK

Enlightened

And please speed up the 18650 battery tube production and put a tritium slot on it would be a nice touch.