Ra Twisty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Enzo Morocioli,

You can program one setting per entry into customization mode. This was done to keep the customization interface as simple as possible. The assumption is that you are going use the flashlight for a while and then tweak one setting, use the flashlight some more and then tweak again if necessary. Once you have finished optimizing your flashlight for your tasks, you will not need to change the setting again unless your needs change.

Ah that makes sense, thank you...

A possible improvement while maintaining simplicity would be to have the customization mode not exit when switched to high, but instead assign the output to the level chosen and wait for the user to switch back to low, where it would begin stepping the brightness down, waiting for the user to pick an output and assign it to a level. When the user is finished they can switch the Twisty off to exit customization mode.

It's just a thought... As it is now, I accept the method you chose.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got around to trying different light levels. I found after using the light for while that the low was too low for me. Although I had my Novatac and HDS lights programmed with the same low they both come on at 20 lumens on primary. With the Twisty I found I was not using the low so I increased it to match my PD (around 5 - 7 lumens). I also increased the medium by one level. It only took a few minutes to figure out the programming. I used some masking tape to mark where the levels were to make it easier. Still loving this light!

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that batterystation will be processing some 120 orders today, I was told mine is one that will ship today or tomorrow.

BTW - there is another dealer of these lights in the USA. Look under "MarketPlace - Dealer's corner" they have some lights in stock and ready to ship.

:twothumbs

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
in that order?

Yep... red and .47 are a great combo for things around a dark house.. I keep 85 just for the "tactical" feeling of being able to still have access to BRIGHT when i need it.. What's amazing is that if you have the Twisty just before the threshold of a certain level, you can kind of press the tailcap to the side, and momentarily activate the next level... It's fantastic.. I usually have red active, and momentarily get .47 if i want dim white light... If i know i'm going outside or something, i'll just twist to .47 and right up to the threshold of high, so i can momentarily grab 85 if need to.

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Here is the Ra 85tr at 85lm against a Nova 120P stepped down to 85lm. Distance is one meter (3 feet) and the squares on the target are one inch apart.

Nova%20Vs%20Ra.jpg

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Enzo,

How did you distinguish between a thermal step down and a low battery step down?

Paul

The thermal step down was really quick.. it seemed like a flicker, and after the flicker my eyes felt that the output had come down, maybe just one step 85lm to 60lm... The difference is pretty hard to discern, but I did notice it...Also, a thermometer was showing 104F on the outside surface of the SS bezel.. I'd guess it was much hotter at the site of the electronics too...
The low battery step was super obvious and happened about 27 minutes after the thermal throttling... It seemed to drop from 60 all the way down to 30 or 21lm in about a second of time.. It happened as a blink, rather than a flicker, with a distinct drop and then stabilized for a moment... Immediately after, I got the double blinks, which is the low battery warning signal.

Last edited:

dinocol

Newly Enlightened
Enzo, thanks for your reply. I was hoping that you used an AW rcr123a so i cud compare with the runtime i did on my novatac..

Maybe you could also do a runtime test of the Ra Twisty and the Novatac Side by side.. :D

my novatac (modded with USW0H) set at level 21 (85lumens) on an AW Cell right off the charger lasted 1hr 18mins before the first battery step down occured and at around 1hr 44 mins before the blink blink blink came in.. probably no thermal step down since i placed the light in water when i tried this..

Level 21 (85 lumens)
1st - 1hr 18
2nd - 1hr 19
3rd - 1 hr 21
4th - 1 hr 27
5th - 1 hr 32
6th - 1 hr 38
7th - 1 hr 43
blink blink blink blink blink - 1 hr 44

really interested in a ra twisty and especially the clicky, saving up for it!!! :D

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Enzo, thanks for your reply. I was hoping that you used an AW rcr123a so i cud compare with the runtime i did on my novatac..

You're welcome..
I did a pretty rough runtime with the Twisty on a AW rcr123 (brand new, only 1 cycle) and came out with 28minutes on high before the low battery "blink blink" signal happened..

I haven't yet done another test, so don't quote me on that figure until I check it again. :)

Sounds like your modded novatac does pretty good...
I've seen a standard stock Novatac 120P go for 37 minutes at 120lumen on primary..At 85lumen the 120P runs for 67 minutes on a batterystation 900mah rcr123. .

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Sounds like your modded novatac does pretty good...
I've seen a standard stock Novatac 120P go for 37 minutes at 120lumen on primary..At 85lumen the 120P runs for 67 minutes on a batterystation 900mah rcr123. .
He's referring to some testing I did with my 120P, so I'll make a correction and toss in a little more detail for anyone who's curious. First off, my light did not make it to 37 minutes on a primary (I wish it did), it didn't even quite make the quoted 30 minutes. At 120lm, it got 29 minutes on a fresh US made BS primary and 37 minutes on both the BS 900mah and AW 750mah RCR. It reached 67 minutes on a BS 900mah RCR at 85lm. In all tests, the RCRs were about two days off the charger. My light is from the first preordered batch, before they switched to a better bin of led, so mine isn't as efficient as the more recent productions, which it seems like dinocol's light is likely from since he beat me by 11 minutes.

ArtFranklin

Newly Enlightened
Ordered the Ra-85Tr last Friday, and just noticed the charge to BatteryStation...

I do believe I will be getting my light next week!:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.