RaidFire From Edge TAC

cat

Enlightened
I'd be surprised if it beat the DBS, I think it's a smaller light, but we'll see. They gave a LUX of 22,000, and we don't know if their meter reads high or low. My meter reads low compared to other LUX results I see and my DBS is in the 26,000LUX range.

However, is this light is more around the size of a Surefire 6P, Dereeligth CL1H, Lumapower M1, etc, then it could be the best thrower in that size range.

ahh :D
I'm looking forward to your review of this.
I don't like the look of the "spiky" area behind the head, or the holes in the head, or that all we've seen is a rough CAD drawing. Although the NiteCore Defender looks very good to me.
It only beats the DBS on price, and the DBS has all the pill options, easily available, and Dereelight has a better return-if-faulty/backup system.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to getting the Nitecore and the RaidFire. Then I can at least offer LUX readings from the same meter comparing them to the DBS, CL1H, Fenix lights, etc.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
ahh :D
I'm looking forward to your review of this.
I don't like the look of the "spiky" area behind the head, or the holes in the head, or that all we've seen is a rough CAD drawing. Although the NiteCore Defender looks very good to me.
It only beats the DBS on price, and the DBS has all the pill options, easily available, and Dereelight has a better return-if-faulty/backup system.

Just my thought here -

I don't think the holes in the head are meant to be there - they are merely a way of visualizing the immense heat-sinking of the reflector (which could not normally be viewed).

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my thought here -

I don't think the holes in the head are meant to be there - they are merely a way of visualizing the immense heat-sinking of the reflector (which could not normally be viewed).

+

Unless the emitter is directly attached to this reflector in some way, all those heatsink fins are for show.
That said, it does look cool!

Bort

Newly Enlightened
Looks pretty cosmic, like something out of a 1950's era science fiction movie.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this on CPF Market Place. I linked this post back to this thread.

RaidFire,

Is the light going to look like the first picture or second picture. The Head Design?

6.jpg

3.jpg

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada,thanks for starting this thread..I read the first post on the raidfire,and it mentions airflow and holes for extra heat sinking..if thats the case it would be good to know how they get the light watertight.:thinking: First picture fits this profile.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture of the light itself looks like it's still in the works, and on it's way to looking like the picture (hopefully).

I'm hoping we see the holes and the air induction, or whatever, actually works. They should still be able to create a water tight seal, while allowing air, water, etc, to pass around the reflector, it just won't get inside the reflector. The reflector will obviously have to be sealed at the front where it meats the lens, and at the rear where it meets the body. Hopefully we will continue to see innovations like this on more lights. If they are going to push the LED's harder they will need to find ways to improve the heat sinking.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture of the light itself looks like it's still in the works, and on it's way to looking like the picture (hopefully).

I'm hoping we see the holes and the air induction, or whatever, actually works. They should still be able to create a water tight seal, while allowing air, water, etc, to pass around the reflector, it just won't get inside the reflector. The reflector will obviously have to be sealed at the front where it meats the lens, and at the rear where it meets the body. Hopefully we will continue to see innovations like this on more lights. If they are going to push the LED's harder they will need to find ways to improve the heat sinking.

Good post. I was wondering about the same things about the reflector myself. If it was sealed to keep out moisture.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks WadeF,sounds cool and a great idea if they can pull it off, mind you I have seen something like that on the Microfire somewhere!!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if I said it was a new innovation, I shouldn't have said that because someone else may well already be doing that. :) I just hope these lights make it to all of us that have pre-paid. They almost seem to be too good to be true, but these will be $89 and $129 lights normally. If they turn out to be as good as advertised we all did well with the special pricing. :)

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I'm not quite sure why one needs the increased surface area when air is such a poor conductor of thermal energy (read: heat). It's generally just easier to double or triple the mass of metal of the heat sink for better thermal energy absorption and transfer, especially at this size scale.

I really hope the Raidfire doesn't have the advertised holes in the head... just my humble opinion (more things to get hung upon, stuff snagged in there, etc.)

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm not too fond of the overdone crenelations and holes here and there. I'd prefer something with nice clean straight lines. The Defender looks prettier, IMHO.

I'll wait this one out until my Defender arrives too.

And has anybody noticed that this light walks and talks almost exactly like a U2? It looks different, sure, but the tail clickie and power selector ring and 18650 support.. that sounds like the flashaholic's wishlist along with the Cree, SMO/OP reflector choices, and tailstanding flared switch.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm holding off on this one. FIrst like others I want my NightCore Infinity Ultra in my hands before I send more money off to Edgetac. Second, I have a Q4 DBS so that should be enough. If for some reason it gets stellar reviews smashing the DBS, I might decide I want one.
I'm trying to avoid small fry purchases for now so I can start landing some bigger fish. :devil:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this on CPF Market Place. I linked this post back to this thread.

RaidFire,

Is the light going to look like the first picture or second picture. The Head Design?

6.jpg

3.jpg

I got a reply from RaidFire, (Fron the CPFMP Thread)

ernsanada,

Thanks! The lights will be like the first picture, with holes around the head and even the red reflector is exactly the same. Also, it's waterproof even with the holes, which is our patented ThermoflowTM design.:D:D

Any further questions, just let me know, thanks!:)

Best Regards,[/QUOTE

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't think Raidfire can beat the DBS.
so far my DBS still the king of all flashlight with the 3 modes really useful especially the low mode not to mention the hi mode :D
but Raidfire did mentioned "The RaidFire® SpearTM is specifically designed to achieve the longest light throw distance of any light in its class."
i guess the DBS is in a different class :D

Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
Wow. I'm pretty impressed at how many they've 'sold' or been prepaid for. They'd make good salesmen.

Considering the fact if you want to buy their next item, you don't even get a chance to receive their first item before having to pay. Highly unlike the first light will arrive before 12/10/07.. Also $80 is a lot of money for something you haven't had experience with (in prior product or anything).

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Heh, turns out I'm wrong - the 'obnoxious' red will be there in the final product. Also, no review samples will go out before-hand so we cannot get a proper feel for the product prior to plopping down said deposit. :sigh: for intentional holes inside light's head.

Hrrrrmph.

Last edited: