RaidFire From Edge TAC

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their first offering offered something fresh and new(infinite variable AAlight with UI that made sense and forward clicky), in a good package, so I can understand that many found it tempting. But this, not so much. It's not a bad light by any means, but there are probably(since noone actually have tested this light) better lights (DBS...) allready available. And the design is plain ugly. I don't see the points with the holes, wouldnt metal be a better heat conductor? And making the reflector red is just tacky. But that's just my opinion. Your mileage surely varies.

All in all, it's sure nice to see some new players, that take on a different approach on selling their lights. Looking forward what their Photon Monster will be about.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm there is something scary about (thanks for giving) pre orders,I feel we are funding new ventures(lights) I just hope they ship the first offering,before a third light is announced.
As for the holes I hope they can waterproof the light(properly)that said dirt getting in there would be my concern.

would it not be better to use a good chunk of copper for heat sinking,after all it's the emitter that will get hot (not the reflector)

Iterseted to see how it turns out.:popcorn:

Last edited:

coral_seas

Newly Enlightened
Comparing the RaidFire to DBS, it is overpriced for 129.90
I guess it won't have a micropressor as this is not required for two brightness levels. The design, that some may find ugly others may like it, is at least unpractical: Rough in your pocket and difficult to clean.
However I got one reserved in case the tests show that EdgeTAC's promisses are fullfilled.

Rzr800

Enlightened
I'm holding off on this one. FIrst like others I want my NightCore Infinity Ultra in my hands before I send more money off to Edgetac....I'm trying to avoid small fry purchases for now so I can start landing some bigger fish. :devil:

...but what if that next fish is indeed the "monster" they've promised next at these crazy prices? :) :popcorn:
Please don't get me wrong; I agree with you; as the pure insanity involved in all these one-after-the-other new releases has made this newbie think twice about one fellow CFPers advice:
"Hold on to your wallet!"

Last edited:

Rzr800

Enlightened
"...I just hope they ship the first offering,before a third light is announced..."

I'm thinking that a long holiday weekend announcement would be best...kind of give folks a chance to check in more often and stew over the rocketing post counts quickly eating at their discounts on a relatively more expensive offering...and I'd certainly make the light "pre-payment confirmed only"! :) (if they announced tonight; most guys could get their pay-pal in before they even knew what their wives spent tomorrow on "Black Friday"). :shakehead

As you've mentioned; that would assuredly drive those of us out here with somewhat limited incomes 100% completely 'bonkers' if the specs. and price were in line...

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but what if that next fish is indeed the "monster" they've promised next at these crazy prices? :) :popcorn:
Please don't get me wrong; I agree with you; as the pure insanity involved in all these one-after-the-other new releases has made this newbie think twice about one fellow CFPers advice:
"Hold on to your wallet!"
deleted.

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
A post on CPFMP reminded me....

The estimated time of delivery is early Dec. and the retail price for RaidFire® SpearTM is USD129.9. As to the sale of RaidFire® SpearTM, the pre-order activity here is similar with NiteCore® D-I's. We offer this pre-order for SpearTM at special price directly to CPFers here from now Nov. 21st to Dec. 10th (Please be advised that payment within this period will be recorded, and those who pay after this time period will be refunded.) and after this period, our distributors will take over the sale of SpearTM at official retail price of USD129.9.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picture of the Reflector.

14.jpg

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Raidfire today! Pretty cool light. I'll try to get a review up tonight.

So the initial testing puts this right up there with the DBS. My DBS still has a SLIGHT edge on the lux meter. I'm getting around 25,000LUX from the Raidfire, and around 25,500LUX from my DBS. Virtually indentical. They are similar in size, I'll get pics of them side by side.

now, i'm not sure if the Raidfire is upgradable, so it maybe as good as it's going to get until another model is released. If that's the case, it will probably be left in the dust by the DBS in the coming year.

Some quick observations, it's a thrower, that's for sure, should out throw a Tiablo A9 since it's competing with the DBS. Te tail cap is mushroomed, allows for stable tail standing, but some may find it a lot of material to get their thumb around.

Takes 18650's only from what I can tell, fine by me.

The low is LOW. Would hopefully be good in an emergancy situation where you need long run times, will look forward to other's run time tests.

Switching between HIGH and LOW is easy, just a little twist of the bezel, allowing you to signal in either HIGH or LOW with the forward clicky.

The reflector looks deep. I think my DBS produces a slightly small spot. Much testing still needs to be done. :)

The markings (labelings) is a bit over done on the Raidfire and Nitecore. If anyone finds a good way to remove it, let me know. :)

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
WadeF thanks, sounds promising,"waiting for pics" oh does it whine on low as some have reported.

EDIT:Also is the bezel ring alu? or plastic.

Last edited:

Rzr800

Enlightened
Thanks, WadeF; big sigh of relief from many I'm certain with these initial thoughts. Have to agree with you on the ugradeable comment. I think that if RaidFire could head that way and DBS could take a clue from Raidfire on the somewhat more radical machining design...they'd both benefit.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops sorry, another question to WadeF,can you say how they achieved sealing the reflector from the LE from water ingress?? as the way it looks in the pictures the holes lead down to the LE.

Does that make sense :thinking:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, upon further testing, the DBS is still King, at least between the DBS and the Raidfire.

While the LUX readings were very close at 1 meter, 34-35 feet is a whole different story. The DBS has a noticeably smaller spot at this distance. LUX readings at this distance were 225LUX for the Raidfire, and 256LUX for the DBS. So the DBS is about 15% brighter at ~34 feet. I wonder if that difference changes over longer distances.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Wade, really looking forward to your review! Are you able to test approximate overall output with a light box?

IcantC

Enlightened
Thanks for your info Wade! If possible, can you let us know how both perform outside? If DBS out throws Raidfire?

Thanks

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Wade, really looking forward to your review! Are you able to test approximate overall output with a light box?

I still need to construct something so I can take consistend readings from light to light. I can try to compare the Raidfire's and DBS's total output, but they are both Cree Q5's, so they are probably close. The reflector is going to make most of the difference between them, and the Tiablo A9, MRV, etc.