RARE MAGLITES

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice lights guys!! You don't see many of those TM bezel Mags, they're almost 28 years old now. The orange lights are awesome too. I'd love to have a Solitaire or Mini Mag to go with my 3D.

I was finally able to broker a deal for the Olive Green Assault Systems Maglite I posted about a while back. I am super happy!! The light appears to be all genuine from Maglite because the St. Louis, MO stamping matches the Maglite font and the light is definitely annodized because the finish is the same on the inside of the barrel. Prior to finding this light I was only aware of a small batch of Cabela's special order lights that had Cabela's logo put on the bezel.

I could gather a little bit of info from the prior owner. He was a distributor for Assault Systems which sold gun and outdoor accessories via a mail order catalog in the 1980s. Assault Systems ordered 100 or so 2, 3 and 4 D cell lights to sell from Maglite in their catalog. These were special ordered in Olive Drab annodizing, a lanyard ring tail cap, and with Assault Systems' logo on the bezel. I don't see a price on the lights in the catalog I received and the prior owner couldn't remember but they had to have been over $100 in 1983 money. Assault Systems wasn't a very popular brand and the lights were priced too high so they didn't sell well. In fact the light is a 1981 model but the catalog advertising them is from 1985 so the original 300 lights hadn't sold in 4 years.

Assault Systems eventually found a market for them in Europe because Maglite was not selling its lights outside of the US in the 1980s. My light came from Germany and Assault Systems continued to sell regular, black, Maglites without the Assault Systems logo well into the late 1980s as one of Maglite's European distributors.

I've been collecting since 2009, nearly 11 years now and this is the first time I've seen of or heard of these lights. Most of them likely went to Europe as I've never seen any in the U.S. Sometimes when I think I've seen everything I run across lights like this which is what makes collecting Maglites so much fun! I plan to do a full write up of this light on my blog and scan the Assault Systems magazine as well in the very near future.

AdMEPkn.jpg

:wow: Great find! I've never seen such a Maglite.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember assault systems, I think I used to have some of their stuff back in the day, but I don't remember ever seeing any of those Mags - very nice find for sure. Come to think of it, I am kinda surprised that Mag didn't do more private branding like that over the years (beyond silk screened logos and such) considering how popular Mags were.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
I remember assault systems, I think I used to have some of their stuff back in the day, but I don't remember ever seeing any of those Mags - very nice find for sure. Come to think of it, I am kinda surprised that Mag didn't do more private branding like that over the years (beyond silk screened logos and such) considering how popular Mags were.

From dealing with mag a little, I'd say they are open to doing private branding/etc. Problem is their minimum order...

I did a group buy of colored 'aa' lights a LONG time ago from them. Between minimums and shipping charges it added up quickly.

FYI, to those reading, I ordered leftover stock of colored 'aa' lights from them. Got some smooth barreled lights that were made for logos, but logos were never applied. That sort of thing might still be available.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Biggest issue nowadays is that brands are no longer allowed to be apolitical. So Maglite likely has to walk on eggshells to not accidentally put a logo on their lights that is seen as being controversial, or could become so later down the road. Sometimes for completely innocent reasons.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Biggest issue nowadays is that brands are no longer allowed to be apolitical. So Maglite likely has to walk on eggshells to not accidentally put a logo on their lights that is seen as being controversial, or could become so later down the road. Sometimes for completely innocent reasons.

I was thinking of some big retailer who was looking for an exclusive Maglite when Mag was turning out 150.000 lights a day and almost everyone was selling basic black Mags. Something with a special color, features, markings etc. or even something bigger like a clicky tail switch for the Mini Mag would give someone who was willing to work with Mag on a big enough order to get an exclusive. Maybe the basic black Mags were selling well enough and Mag was already turning out as many as they could?

I could see Mag doing some sort of exclusive with Gerber now that Gerber is out of the flashlight business and is currently selling combo Gerber knife/Maglite flashlight combo packages.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to scan the magazine I received because they have some very very rad stuff including a decked out 1985 Honda ATV. It really brings me back! From what I heard the tooling required to setup the custom bezels on the Cabela's and Assault Systems' lights was very expensive so much so that it doubled the price of the lights. Pretty much you had a $200 flashlight instead of a $100. Most of us may not bat an eye at a $200 flash light but the market is very limited when you're competing with a $10 flash light.

Custom anodizing and screen printing on the other hand don't cost hardly anything extra. I think that's why during Mag's hey day in the late 90s you saw so many custom order Mini Mags and C and D Cells. They didn't really have to change anything other than the spec to their 3rd party anodizer to do a custom order for Walmart or Home Depot. Ask them to make a new 7D or any significant change to the lights though and the price gets up there quick.

Now that the lights are laser etched instead of stamped I am always hoping they do a retro LED Vari-Beam. I couldn't see it costing much extra and I'd think it wouldn't be a problem for them to get $100 for it.

TomVDJ

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I really need some help identifying the correct color of my mini maglit. Unfortunately, it got badly damaged on the inside due to leaking batteries. Since it has some emotional value, I'd really like to get a replacement in the same color. In the meanwhile I got a "Pewter" one and a "Silver" one, but none are the correct color. Here is a picture of my Mini Maglite in the middle, the Pewter on top, and the Silver on the bottom. Somebody has an idea what color I'd be looking for if I want to replace the middel one? Al help is welcome!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Hey guys, I really need some help identifying the correct color of my mini maglit. Unfortunately, it got badly damaged on the inside due to leaking batteries. Since it has some emotional value, I'd really like to get a replacement in the same color. In the meanwhile I got a "Pewter" one and a "Silver" one, but none are the correct color. Here is a picture of my Mini Maglite in the middle, the Pewter on top, and the Silver on the bottom. Somebody has an idea what color I'd be looking for if I want to replace the middel one? Al help is welcome!

It may be salvageable. there are others that can do this.

TomVDJ

Newly Enlightened
It may be salvageable. there are others that can do this.
Some of the metal in the back is eaten away by the acid, so I guess repairing will be more expensive (even not possible) than getting a new one in the same color. Just identifying the color doesn't seem to be so easy...

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

The middle one looks like grey to me (color code = 09), at least in your picture. Are you sure the light at the top is pewter? I have two pewter Maglite 3D (color code = 94) and their color looks totally different.

TomVDJ

Newly Enlightened
Yes, bought the top one recently and it was sold as "Pewter". It came in a blister packaging with Model No: M2A09H and Part No 106-000-517 (don't know if that helps). It has a blue-ish shine in it (which I don't like at all).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes, bought the top one recently and it was sold as "Pewter". It came in a blister packaging with Model No: M2A09H and Part No 106-000-517 (don't know if that helps). It has a blue-ish shine in it (which I don't like at all).
Pm sent about where to buy a replacement switch and how to rebuild it.

A video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaAS6VX_pHQ

Or instructions by Maglite
https://datasheet.octopart.com/LM2A001-Mag-Lite-datasheet-10489891.pdf

Another future collectable minimag.
Check out the color
702-DE1-E5-719-D-40-B6-898-B-370-AD17-EAAE4.jpg

Last edited:

TomVDJ

Newly Enlightened
Problem is that a significant part of metal has been eaten away by the battery acid, so the spring doesn't stay in place. With a bit of fiddling I can get it working again, but would just love to replace it by an undamaged one in the same color. Never thought it would be so difficult to trace down the correct color :-(.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem is that a significant part of metal has been eaten away by the battery acid, so the spring doesn't stay in place. With a bit of fiddling I can get it working again, but would just love to replace it by an undamaged one in the same color. Never thought it would be so difficult to trace down the correct color :-(.

I vote grey also, color Code 09. The issue is, especially with the Mini Mags, that Maglite used soooo many 3rd party anodizers and the batches varied greatly. Because so many were produced there are a lot that have the same finish code but appear much different.

I've had a few with the damage you describe and usually there if you clean the corrosion off the light will still make a good electrical connection and function when the end cap is screwed on. The spring will not stay in place like the stock ones when the end cap is removed but it should work flawlessly when closed up. If you have some pics shoot them over. I do repairs or we can give you some advice if you're the DIY type.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Strange because model number M2A09H shows that it should be grey. It also looks very different from how 'grey' should look (the light in the middle). You say it was sold as 'pewter' was it advertised as 'pewter' or was it printed/labeled on the packaging somewhere?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a switch and a brand new end cap I can send you in the same color as the light in the middle.

TomVDJ

Newly Enlightened
I have a switch and a brand new end cap I can send you in the same color as the light in the middle.
Don't need a switch, but it's indeed the endcap that sustained serious damage and where part of the metal is gone.

The M2A09H one was advertised as "Pewter". On the package there is no trace of the color name, just the code M2A09H.

Icarus, I'll drop you a PM.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange because model number M2A09H shows that it should be grey. It also looks very different from how 'grey' should look (the light in the middle). You say it was sold as 'pewter' was it advertised as 'pewter' or was it printed/labeled on the packaging somewhere?

Agreed. 09 is the color code for grey. However, the packages are notoriously mis-labelled and the finishes vary greatly.

Latest posts