RARE MAGLITES

20240227_104314.jpg

So, the Mini Maglite Racing is from the same year as the Americana set.

Not sure if this would be possible without damaging the anodizing. But... why would you do this?
I don't care for the graphic. I understand that some things are dyed easily once something is anodised. It would be neat to make that bronze. The smooth body is neat.

I keep running across so many mid '80s pewter-gray Mags it'd be interesting to know what the story is. I've seen more of these than any other color but red from the time period.

PXL_20240519_175736854.jpg

Also, this is a jade green, right? The package is one of the mismarked ones I gather are somewhat common.

PXL_20240519_180133942.jpg

PXL_20240519_180201477.jpg

There are 1999 or so pewters as I have one. Earlier were made for Swiss market and Jade is for Home Depot i think.

There are 1999 or so pewters as I have one. Earlier were made for Swiss market and Jade is for Home Depot i think.
That's very odd. Typically stores want custom colors that reflect their logo's colors. I would have expected Home Depot to insist on Orange as their exclusive color.

Home Depot used to be the one of the best places to score MagLites. I remember when I was a kid in there with my father like sometime between 1997 and 1999 and I seen a dual MiniMaglite set with an 2xAA and 2xAAA models and thought that sure would be swell but it cost too much for my dad to buy it for me. Boy did I want taht set. Later on when I found CPF in like 2008 or 2009 I bought some 2xAA Maglite kits there that were old and made in USA. I used one and sold the rest like a fool. They all retained their value so well I got full retail when trading towards a Glock 17 at a local gun shop.

My first minimag circa '96 had pewter on the package. I bought all pewter gray Maglites at that time. That color was very popular back then. Most packages said black or blue though.

Later, when the gray was darker the packages said gray.

The Home Depot "pewter" had a brownish tint. Maybe the ulgliest color Maglite ever sold.

I used to buy swiss made Duracell 357 batteries there for my Lenser but they stopped carrying them. Now HD is just about useless for my light hobby.

Damn I wish I had known old Maglite's had collection value. Suddenly I regret throwing that lime green 3D light through the rear window of a truck that almost hit me. At the time I picked it up at a garage sale for $5 iirc.:confused:

All the new ones have e-switches. Perfectly fine as users. But not worth collecting in my humble opinion. Stick with older ones in Like-new condition. Or, ones still in their yellowed blister packs.

I pick up a few of the newer Mags if I like the colour and the LED D series is brighter than mods.

Over the course of a few days I read through this entire thread. Absolutely beautiful lights. I am certified jealous :LOL:

I just started my collection. I have three, and about half a dozen in the mail I think, and watching two more. I don't think anything I have is particularly rare, but I'll delegate that opinion to those with more wisdom than I.

Red 3D 'winston' came from ebay. Incandescent, krypton bulb. Not much to say about it, other than some wear/scuffs it's in beautiful shape. Seems to be a 90 to 91 if I dated it correctly.

Next is a gold color mini mag. It's marked 'QC Quality Consultants'. Couldn't find much about it. It appeared one day at work on the 'lost and found' desk. Stayed there for about a month, and I decided to grab it lest it get trashed. The markings are next to impossible to photograph with this color. Excellent shape. I use this one occasionally at my desk, and I only use lithiums in it. The box shown is from another light. Used to help photograph it.

Last but not least, a gift from my father. It's branded "Eagle Building Products". I want to say I was told he got it sometime in the 80s or 90s, but my memory on the story is foggy. I'll ask him tomorrow. The markings seem to suggest it's newer than 96, and the paper in the box has a copyright of 1992, although I suppose that doesn't mean much.

It sat in his toolbox for years in favor of newer tech. I only got my paws on it a few days ago when I started my latest obsession collection. The batteries inside it did begin to leak, but luckily it was caught in time. Batteries got removed, and no major damage occurred. Fresh batteries and it works like a champ, but from now on it is stored empty.

Attachments

• IMG_5367.jpeg
    IMG_5367.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5368.jpeg
    IMG_5368.jpeg
    586.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5369.jpeg
    IMG_5369.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5370.jpeg
    IMG_5370.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5371.jpeg
    IMG_5371.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5372.jpeg
    IMG_5372.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5373.jpeg
    IMG_5373.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5374.jpeg
    IMG_5374.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5375.jpeg
    IMG_5375.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 28
While many seek rare colors and those ginormous versions I've always sought promo versions like Camel cigarettes, Ford Quality Care etc.

The Winston was easy to find at one point but are becoming scarce. My first minimag was from '96. It's retired now. They were really bright with new batteries (back in those days).

If you want a treat, try to find an early 80's minimag. '84-86. They are not really rare but man when you operate the on off switch or remove the tailcap the threads are so freakin' smooth it's crazy.

Great job rescuing that gold flashlight.
We have a Lost & Found where I work that we're technically in charge off. Seriously, outside of IDs, one leather bound poor quality notebook, and one Smart-watch that was picked up the next day, we get all sorts of worthless junk. Never a decent-quality light.

Yeah, it's not very often that something of value pops up. Well, usually it's a wrench someone forgot to put back in their box/bag, and within a week they claim their tool. We often have visitors that come and go through the plant, either in the form of customers or auditors. I suspect this light came from the latter, and they simply never bothered to try and get it back.

Got the story on that black minimag. My father was down in Kentucky during the mid to late 1990s, visiting a family member at a hospital. Some more family wound up visiting at the same time, one of which worked for the Eagle Building Products company. Apparently he had a few in his vehicle, and chose to give one to my father. During it's use over the next decade or so, it's said that the light was holy reliable, and only replaced/set aside when newer and better technology came along. Fast forward to today, and now it lives comfortably in my display of all things neat.