Rayovac 1aa headlamp

darklord

Newly Enlightened
I'll chime in again with only this caveot...

When it's done with a battery you get just enough warning to say "uh oh" and it's out like a switch was thrown!

If the blue LED were a white LED there would be very little to dislike!

Just noticed this light while browsing around in the UK...

http://www.sporttek.co.uk/Silverpoint+Guide+SH633.html

OK, so it's called the Silverpoint Guide here - seems to have three white LEDS + 1 Luxeon Rebel. A red diffuser covers both. Claimed Luxeon output 80 lumens!

** will just add this little review out of interest:

http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/i...articleId=199F92E4-FF29-08BD-48A3C1B11EEC2441

If this had power levels and a white diffuser it would be perfect for my use. As it is I would swap the red diffuser with anyone who has a clear one! (can they be swapped do you think?)

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed this light while browsing around in the UK...

http://www.sporttek.co.uk/Silverpoint+Guide+SH633.html

A Nichia Rebel?:thinking:

Well, they are not real clear on what color those three 5mm LED's are, are they? We assume they are white, because of the red diffuser, but from looking at the pictures, they look exactly like two blue LED's and one red LED. The light is borderline useful as it is, with it's red and blue LED's instead of low-power white. But then they destroyed the light by putting a red diffuser for the "Nichia Rebel?" And then the red diffuser over the blue LED's must look really neat! This looks like a Frankenheadlamp. Those are some pretty interesting reflections in the reflector, too... what are those blue and green reflections?

bobski

Newly Enlightened
Eh... the angle is wrong to tell what kind of LEDs those are. You would need to get a head-on view so the lens magnifies the view of the LED die. Even then, it's difficult to really say anything other "white" or "not white", depending on the visible presence of phosphor or not.
The reflections in the main optic are probably the circuit board inside the lamp (green) and a simple optical artifact (blue).

darklord

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, A Nichia Rebel... ;)

I'm pretty sure they would be white LEDs, think the reflections are stuff from the photographers gear or room. Must mean it's got a smooth reflector.

Looks interesting. I'm tempted to try one, and ditch the red diffuser altogether.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, A Nichia Rebel... ;)

I'm pretty sure they would be white LEDs.

Eh... the angle is wrong to tell what kind of LEDs those are.

With the red diffuser, one would think all the LED's are white. But look closely at the center picture of the three 5mm LEDs. You can see a clear difference between the upper LED and the two lower ones. The upper one has a clear lens, and the two lower ones, not clear. And these happen to be exactly what the Rayovac looks like with a red in the upper and two blues in the lower.

bobski

Newly Enlightened
It looks like a matter of viewing angle to me. The Rayovac has two red and one blue LED, not two blue and one red. The Rayovac's single blue LED occupies the lowest position in the Silverpoint pics... One of the two similar looking positions.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the cycling on the rayovac is different too... it goes red/blue/white while the silver one goes white (rebel) 1 white/3 white 5mm?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like a matter of viewing angle to me. The Rayovac has two red and one blue LED, not two blue and one red. The Rayovac's single blue LED occupies the lowest position in the Silverpoint pics.

Crap, it seems my grey matter is jellifying, then! Had I not just sent mine back to Rayovac for replacement under warranty, I could have just looked at it. Boy, do I feel dumb!:duh2:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I stuck my light (without battery) in the fridge, along with a thermometer. When I came back about four hours later, the thermo said 35 degrees. Popped in the cell, and no joy. It cycled from red, to blue, a quick flash of white followed immediately by red again.

I returned the Sportsman Xtreme 1AA headlamp for warranty. After waiting a month, I called ROV. Luckily I had the delivery confirmation receipt, as they claimed no record of receiving it. She looked up the delivery confirmation # and could see they did indeed receive the package. As she was looking up a replacement to order, she kept wanting to say, "AA headlamp" and I kept clarifying, "1 AA headlamp, not 3AA." Of course, they sent me the 3AA, 3 watt K2/85 lumen version, identical to the 3AA RR headlamp. I purchased the 1AA for being compact, lightweight, and the diffuser for reading. The one they sent is the polar opposite: huge, cumbersome, heavy, spot beam with no spill, and too bright even on low for reading. These are observations made by other owners. I haven't opened the package yet. The 1AA seems to be current on the ROV website, so I will call Monday to see why they sent me the 3AA headlamp instead of another 1AA.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I called and told them they sent me the wrong headlamp, and gave them the exact model number of the 1AA headlamp. She said she would send it out right away, and send me a prepaid mailer to return the 3AA headlamp...

... I received another new 3AA headlamp, and no mailer. Clearly, I'm dealing with geniuses...

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
They finally got it right. Third time's the charm. The replacement 1AA headlamp has a much warmer tint than the purplish tint of my original, which is good for me. But, the diffuser lens introduces noticeable half moon artifacts in the beam, whereas my original diffuser lens created a nearly uniform wall of light. All in all, the warmer tint wins out over the increased artifacts. And, oh, yeah, the light works after a deep freeze at 1.3 degrees F. My original started losing modes below about 50 degrees F.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
*Sighs* well it looks like Walmart in Canada may not be carrying this 1AA headlamp anymore as two stores I went to today had a new setup of lights and no pegs empty or not for the 1AA headlamp (and also the 2AA 1watt light) as I think they may have or are clearing them out as one store had the remaining 2AA 1watt lights on a peg nearby the lights section at $14.97 down from the usual $19.97. Would have bought one or two of the 1AA headlamps to have another before they were gone. They did still have a couple pegs for the 3AAA 0.5 watt version (18.97) still.

They finally got it right. Third time's the charm. The replacement 1AA headlamp has a much warmer tint than the purplish tint of my original, which is good for me. But, the diffuser lens introduces noticeable half moon artifacts in the beam, whereas my original diffuser lens created a nearly uniform wall of light. All in all, the warmer tint wins out over the increased artifacts. And, oh, yeah, the light works after a deep freeze at 1.3 degrees F. My original started losing modes below about 50 degrees F.

Love the updates to your story.:popcorn:Nothing like dealing with geniuses.:laughing::laughing:

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
While on the hunt for other lights, I stumbled on this light at Walmart, Meijer, and Menards. Menards had the best price.
At what price?

Anyways, I found three at one store on a clearance rack and brought two at $14.00 each on Wednesday and yet to open the packages. Not as good as what Walmart in US was clearing them for though.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
1010837.jpg