Rayovac 4.0 - Huh?

Wyeast

Enlightened
Today at Costco I ran across a Rayovac battery, called a "Rayovac 4.0" AA. Packaging said nothing about chemistry or capacity, only that it was comparing to Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, and how they were supposed to be useable with any recharger. (So I'm guessing it's some kind of hi-cap NiMH?)

If necessary I can try to go back out there for pics/part #'s - silly me I figured there was already a thread here on it, but I can't seem to find it. :(

Anyone know what these things are? Thanks! :)

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't photograph the back of the package where all the description and extra information should be found?

They are rechargeable batteries, either NiMH or Renewal alkalines. The NiMH are usually product code NM715, whereas the rechargeable alkalines are just 715. RF715 doesn't show up anywhere in a search.

Wyeast

Enlightened
I can go back and take another picture tomorrow. The back of the card was useless for additional info. Just had a bunch of products the batteries can be used for, and a blurb saying it would work with any charger. That was it - like I said, nothing about chemistry or capacity. :(

I drew a blank on the RF series too, that's why I was wondering if someone else had figured out what these were, as they didn't seem to fit into their regular NiMH or Hybrid lines.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Works with any charger" clinches it. They are NiMH batteries, and since they apparently are ready to use out of the package they are LSD cells.

I'd say it is a re-branding exercise to give the cells an extra push in the market and compete with Energizer by pointing out that the Energizer lithium cells can only be used once. For most consumer applications they are right -- NiMH is a much better choice than lithium for AA cells.

Last edited:

Wyeast

Enlightened
Something like $15-20 I think? I can't remember. I do remember it seeming cheap compared to the 8pack Duracell LSD and the Eneloops at the same Costco. Too hurried to snap a pic with my crummy phone-cam. I'll get that tomorrow, too. :eek:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Amazed the packaging doesn't have any specifics.

:sigh:

Are they afraid that would confuse people ? ? ?

:wtf:
_

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the RF stands for Rayovac Four?

They've been using NM715 and NM724 for years for their NiMh cells and the Hybrids are LD715 and LD724.

Maybe this explains why folks have been saying that Hybrids were becoming hard to find....deplete current supply and reintroduce it under a different name.

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the label carefully because it says

Ready to use like LITHIUM

It doesn't actually say that it's lithium. My best guess is it's just an LSD battery. And the 4x longer is comparing it to energizer max, well of course a nimh lasts longer in a camera than an alkaline. It's just marketing hype.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Amazed the packaging doesn't have any specifics.

:sigh:

Are they afraid that would confuse people ? ? ?

:wtf:
_
That sometimes happens with Costco packaging, as they're not entirely "meant for retail". The three little boxes the batteries are actually in probably says something on the back, but you can't see because of the card they're attached to. It's just goofy because they seemed to have gotten them first (or is it exclusive??). My guess is packaging at someplace like Target or Walmart would also have the more typical small print. Batteries themselves probably say something, I just couldn't see any facing the right way in the little boxes to read.

I had kinda figured they were LSD's. Just didn't know what capacity they were, as I remember the talk about lowered caps on their Hybrid line before this showed up. And it had seemed odd that they weren't packaged anything like the Hybrids were.

Last edited:

MorePower

Enlightened
I had kinda figured they were LSD's. Just didn't know what capacity they were, as I remember the talk about lowered caps on their Hybrid line before this showed up. And it had seemed odd that they weren't packaged anything like the Hybrids were.

Capacity wasn't lowered on the Hybrid line. The 1400mAh AA cells at Walmart aren't LSD NiMH cells. Hybrid cells are still (nominally) 2100mAh.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Capacity wasn't lowered on the Hybrid line. The 1400mAh AA cells at Walmart aren't LSD NiMH cells. Hybrid cells are still (nominally) 2100mAh.
My bad. I was working off fuzzy memory when I was staring at those things yesterday. Bought a set for the sake of science to see if there's any add'l info inside. The back of the card doesn't say capacity, but there is a small text about how you have to use NiMH chargers.

$17.99 for set of 12.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Back of the package

(sorry for the blur)

The battery itself says "NiMH 1.2V" but nothing on capacity. Measured 1.30v out of the box. They really don't want to give us the goods on this one.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a Maha C-9000 or a LaCrosse BC-900 that you could do a capacity test with?

$17.99 for a dozen possibly relabelled Hybrids is a good price.

lumenal

Enlightened
This could explain why the ROV Hybrids have all but disappeared from local retailer's shelves.

ROV must be going for a new look.

Odd that capacity isn't listed anywhere...:wtf: