Rayovac 4.0 - Huh?

JCup

Newly Enlightened
The Costco in Plano, TX (west Plano store) had these last Friday. I looked at them and could not conclude what they really were - although I agree they must be NiMH "hybrids".

Their monthly mailout coupon book arrived at my house Saturday, and the current Eneloop package goes on sale with a $9 off coupon beginning Monday 11/17.

That will put the price of the Eneloop kit (8xAA, 2xAAA and a two channel wall charger) at about the same price as this mystery ROV deal.

Think I'll stick with the Eneloops. I have still have a few non-LSD Duracell and Energizer NiMH in various devices (GPS, camera, radio) and I want to go with LSD all the way, with a few spares. I'll have about 50 AA and AAA's total, and I got a Maha C9000 charger early this year - nothing but good experiences with this battery and charger combo.

iamstuffed

Newly Enlightened
I stopped by the Hanover, MD store and they didn't have them there. I wanted to test them on my Maha C9000 and LaCrosse BC-900 chargers.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have them at the Costco in Livonia, MI on Haggerty Road. They are not available at the Costco in Commerce TWP, MI (yet?).

I agree they are very poorly labeled as to what they are. I'll stick to buying multiple sets of the $20 Eneloop packs instead. :naughty: I've got 3 coupons so far. :grin2:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coupon has a limit of one. Check the back. I did.

I understand that is what the fine print says on the back. What I should have perhaps been clearer on is I have never had a Costco cashier enforce that limit at check out. I have bought up to three or four things on one coupon with a limit of (1) and they never bat an eye. YMMV if you fill your cart with Eneloop kits, though! :D

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Any word on how these batteries perform? I bought a set but haven't opened them yet.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
We just need someone to slap a set through some tests and report back what they find. Seems like nobody's been enthusiastic enough to do that yet...

LoneRebel

Enlightened
I guess I have to take one for the team :)

I put 4 batteries on the LaCross charger and started a charge test.

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Here are the results for 4 cells after running a discharge refresh cycle for 18 hours. This was using 1000mah charge and 500mah discharge during each cycle.

2.16ah
2.13ah
2.08ah
2.16ah

Ziemas

Enlightened
It makes perfect sense that the capacity isn't labeled on the package as the average consumer will assume that a higher capacity automatically means the best battery for their particular use.

Not many folks outside of geeky hobbyists (myself included, of course!) know the difference between a Ni-mh 2700 and an LSD 2100. Which do you think the uninformed consumer would choose? This might actually be a great way to boost the sales of LSD batteries, hopefully spurring the manifactures to find a way to increase capicity.

Dan_Z

Newly Enlightened
? Where'd my lengthy reply go? It had all my Rayovac Customer Support correspondence quoted. Well I'm new here, so mistakes are bound to happen.

Anyway, Rayovac 4.0 are 2100mAHR LSD NiMH batteries. The battery labeling is aimed at a less (much less) technical audience. It would have been nice if Rayovac had mentioned Hybrid, mAHR capacity and the like, in their labeling, even in the small print. The omissions seem purposeful. Perhaps to make the product appear special and new is part of a marketing ploy.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to edit your post and put it back in.

I still haven't heard from Rayovac about my original question. Very odd, as they usually respond within a day.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the label carefully because it says

Ready to use like LITHIUM

It doesn't actually say that it's lithium. My best guess is it's just an LSD battery. And the 4x longer is comparing it to energizer max, well of course a nimh lasts longer in a camera than an alkaline. It's just marketing hype.

that is just plain MEAN advertising, doesnt it already take long enough to shop for the right things without some marketing genious HELPING everyone pick the right things out. :thumbsdow

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most likely a little sabre rattling on Rayovac's part against Energizer.

Energizer filed a lawsuit against Rayovac for trying to sell AA/AAA Lithium primaries in the North American market.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
A sort of related post since we are assuming that these are relabelled Rayovac Hybrids.

Last week I noticed some AA Rayovac Hybrids at Wal-Mart with updated packaging and cell wrappers.

The hang card had ©2008 on the back whereas the last packs I saw had ©2006 on the back.

The interesting thing was that there was not any capacity information printed on the battery wrappers, unlike the Rayovac Hybrids I have here.