Rayovac Hybrid Rechargeable NiMH

lumenal

Enlightened
Has anyone tried these? I bought a couple 4-packs at Wal*Mart today. They are READY TO USE OUT OF THE PACKAGE, rechargeable NiMH, that, according to the packaging, have a self-discharge rate of only 10% every 3 months,( last 4 times longer than other rechargeables.)

Prices: 4 AA 2100 mAh $8.97
4 AAA 800 mAh $8.97

They weren't listed on the website, though. Any thoughts on these?

Last edited:

Canuke

Enlightened
They sound like Rayovac's answer to Sanyo Eneloops -- but significantly cheaper.

If more brands using this technology come out, Silverfox might have to do another shootout -- but the "self-discharge" test might take forever.

Or maybe not? Tell me whether this idea might be a useful way to speed up self-discharge tests:

Charge the test cells up and do the standard discharge tests on them to obtain full capacity.

Then, charge them up and let them sit at room temps for two months or so, long enough for there to be a significant self-discharge.

At the end of the waiting period, discharge them fully, subtract this measured capacity from "hot off the charger" to derive the self-discharge rate over two months.

This assumes linearity of self-discharge, which might not be the case :shrug:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Canuke,

Sorry, I don't think there is a way to speed up long term self discharge testing...

The 6 month results from the Eneloop cells are due toward the end of January. We will see how well they do.

Tom

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
I've now purchased a few packs of these to stick in some lesser used items, mostly flashlights and clocks. I initially was adverse to the idea of their lesser capacity but then I took an inventory of all my items and realized how many things I have that arn't used that often. Stuff like my Camera's, controllers, frequently used lights, GPS, etc... I will likely keep using high capacty NiMH but these seem like a great choice for these other lesser used items.

I withdraw what I said earlier. I bought a set of AA and the negative contact shape is obviously not that of eneloop.

Anyways, out of package, discharge at 0.5A yielded approximately 1800mAh capacity. Claimed capacity is 2100mAh. Not too impressive considering it couldn't have been sitting around that long as it has just come out.

Another thing is the insulation on negative terminal. It is flush with the metal and doesn't wrap around the edge like many other rechageables, so this maybe a short circuit hazard in many applications.

Handlobraesing said:
Ya know. I think they're actually Sanyo eneloop OEM. Sanyo and Rayovac are partners. They jointly developed the 15 minute IC-3 technology utilizing internal pressure sensing.

http://wistechnology.com/article.php?id=786

Last edited:

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
Sanyo will also manufacture the new rechargeable batteries for Rayovac.

This was in talking about the IC3 cells. So it's entirely plausible that Sanyo is manufacturing the Hybrid cells.

I'm going to toss 9 of the 12 I got today on a charge/discharge/charge cycle on my Maha (1A) and then see how long the 9 will last in my Stanley 9AA tripodhonky light.

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed but my hybrid cells have EDW-Y stamped on the side. Does this mean anything to any one?

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up 2 AA and 2 AAA's that came with a charger of the Rayovac Hybrids, just to play with. (Wal*Mart - it was $11 something) The AA's are stamped EDS-Y and the AAA's are EDV-Y. ? Probably some kind of lot #.
All 4 read 1.31v out of the box.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if the Rayovac Hybrids are made by any of the Japanese companies named. The Rayovac Hybrids are manufactured in China, not in Japan like the Eneloops. And it looks like Matsushita is planning on releasing batteries that are produced under their version of this technology under their Panasonic brand in Q1 of next year.

MorePower said:
Rayovac Hybrid cells are not made by Sanyo. It's a similar technology to what is used for the Eneloop cells, but developed jointly by Matsushita and Yuasa.

http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/neasiaarchivedetail/003046

Phlack

Newly Enlightened
Where in Walmart did you find these? (I realize all stores are different) The batteries used to be in the section with the digital cameras and video games, but they renovated it, and now I can't find them. I asked one guy, and just got a blank stare.

-Mike

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the Electronics with the other rechargeable batteries. (probably the same section that you're looking in.) Wal*Mart stores don't all get stock at the same time, some stores may not even carry some items, or may not carry them until much later than the more robust stores.

Getting blank stares from store clerks (associates) is pretty common these days in any retail store. It's simply a matter of getting what you pay for, and since consumers don't want to pay for service and just expect it, the stores don't see any reason to pay the extra dollars for people who might be knowledgeable or even care.

Phlack said:
Where in Walmart did you find these? (I realize all stores are different) The batteries used to be in the section with the digital cameras and video games, but they renovated it, and now I can't find them. I asked one guy, and just got a blank stare.

-Mike

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
Photo Center. In all the Marts I've been to thats the primary location of rechargable equipment. I wouldn't put it past them to stick them say next to dog food or something. Cat litter in my mart is next to the produce......

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... some of the stores do have battery kiosks in the aisle with the sporting goods/auto supplies that may be situated near the dog food.

Kitty litter is clay, some produce is grown in clay based environments ... sounds like a fit to me :lolsign:

macdude22 said:
I wouldn't put it past them to stick them say next to dog food or something. Cat litter in my mart is next to the produce......

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
It's so simple, why didn't I think of that. Thank you WallMart for opening my eyes.

MorePower

Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
Actually, I think it's the same as the Titanium Enduro. Same wrapper texture, same wrapper trimming, same positive side insulator material, same bottom shape.

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1131

It's very likely that they are exactly the same cells. Cell label material doesn't really mean anything, but the insulator on the nubbin end, the shape of the can, and the same claimed capacity all point to manufacture by the same company. That company is most likely Yuasa-Delta in Guangdong, which also was the manufacturer of IC-3 cells for Rayovac.

stamat

Newly Enlightened
Rayovac Hybrid AA - did I over-discharge it?

I tried an AA in my Fenix L1T.
Out of the package the current was 730mA on High. I left it on High in a cool place. After 3 hours came back and noticed that the light was pretty dim. Interesting that my L1T would shut down automatically with alkalines, but did not with this NiMh.

I had pre-calculated that that at this current it would take about 2.6 hours to discharge 2100mAh. With the voltage dropping It should have taken a little longer than that.

After all this the voltage was 0.91V without load (and 0.7V when loaded in my RadioShack battery tester).
Q: did I overdischarege it?

My Maha C401FS charger repeatedly refused to charge it on slow charge. I had to switch it to fast charge to get it accepted.

Can anyone offer an explanation of what happened?