real-world water resistance of Fenix lights?

El_Canyon

Newly Enlightened
The term "dunkable" isn't particularly precise. I need a light that can be in my pocket while getting dunked in a lake, and not leak. Can anyone share real-world experience with their Fenix lights getting soaked and how the lights held up?

Alero

Enlightened
I can't. But I can tell you that out of the gazillion brands I own and use, the TekTite ones seem to keep water out the best.

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.
All their lights are starting to say "Waterproff to IPX8 standards". "Dunkable" was a description on a review site, so that used that for a long time. IIRC IPX8 means it can be submerged for 24 hours in up to 3 feet of water. edit: IPX8 is a static submersion test greater than 1 meter depth. They are suppose to specify the time and depth tested. I read somewhere that Fenix tested it for just over the 1 meter and for 24 hours. I think it was one of their flyers, but I can't remember for sure. You should be able to ask Fenix at what depth and time period the test was carried out.

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
I had one of the earlier AA Fenix lights that accidentally got left in a pair of jeans and went through the complete wash and rinse cycle with no water ingress.

I'm sure that it helped that I regularly lube all visible O rings. However,I didn't baby it and it did well!

Doug

Marduke

Flashaholic
All Fenix lights are waterproof to IPX8 standards. Fenix rates them for at least 1.5m for at least 30 minutes with no water making it's way into the light.

Pyle-IT

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am a diver and have taken my P1D-CE on about 10 dives as a back-up light. I have used it on 2 of the night dives just for fun and can say it has NEVER let even a drop of water or moisture inside the head or body. The dives have averaged 60' or so but the deepest i have been with it is 110'. I also have the L1D-CE and a few (6) other fenix lights but the clicky makes me not take them diving. i will always have it with me when i dive. hope that helps:wave:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
All their lights are starting to say "Waterproff to IPX-8 standards". "Dunkable" was a description on a review site, so that used that for a long time. IIRC IPX-8 means it can be submerged for 24 hours in up to 3 feet of water.

No, it does not. It means "continuous immersion" and that's it. It's up to the manufacturer to define what depth/pressure that means for the specific light.

txmatt

Enlightened
My L0D-CE has gone through the washing machine a couple times with no water inside.

Marduke

Flashaholic
No, it does not. It means "continuous immersion" and that's it. It's up to the manufacturer to define what depth/pressure that means for the specific light.

Partly correct. To claim IPX8, it has to meet AND exceed IPX7, which is 1m for 30 minutes.

ajairlines

Newly Enlightened
My wife washed her Fenix L1D flashlight. She then dried it. It was left in her jeans. She discovered it when it fell out of the pocket and was banging around in the dryer (set to cotton-high heat). She pulled it out and handed it to me. It was still pretty warm, almost hot to the touch. I cooled it off, removed the battery, didn't see any moisture anywhere, not in the tube nor inside the glass, put the battery back in and turned it on. It worked fine and still does.

I was suprised that it didn't leak. I think the whole wash cycle is around 30 minutes of fill, wash, rinse and spin. I'm wondering if the dryer evaporated any moisture that may have made it inside. Or maybe the pocket prevented the water pressure from the agitator from entering the light. I would have liked to see it after the wash but before the dryer.

I'm pretty impressed with it's waterproofness after this incident. Although I don't want to repeat this with any of my other Fenix lights, I feel that if I were to use any of them during a rain storm that they would remain dry inside.

I can say that if you happen to soak an electronic device with clean water (not salt water), you can usually save it by taking it apart as far as you can and then drying it with a hair dryer (or maybe even an oven set to 300 degrees or so). I did this to a Radio Shack HTX-202 handheld amateur radio that I left out on the porch just before the lawn sprinkler came on. I discovered it about 30 minutes later, dripping wet. I spent about 30 minutes on the drying process and it still works 10 years later.

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.
Nice story ajairlines. That sets of the durablity of the L1D nicely.
Sorry everybody, I didn't realize there would be so many posts while I was looking up information. I never did find the time/depth info about Fenix that I was looking for. Maybe someone can email them and then post it here?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Nice story ajairlines. That sets of the durablity of the L1D nicely.
Sorry everybody, I didn't realize there would be so many posts while I was looking up information. I never did find the time/depth info about Fenix that I was looking for. Maybe someone can email them and then post it here?

As posted above, Fenix's IPX8 certification is for not less than 1.5m for 30 minutes. Are they capable of more? Sure, as the testimonies above can attest to, but they are guaranteed to their IPX8

AzN1337c0d3r

Banned
L2D Q5 in the bathtub for 2 hours, operated the reverse clickie at least 20 times. No sign of moisture inside afterwards.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I keep my LOD-CE on my keys along with an Arc AAA and forgot they were in my pocket when I was swimming in a motel pool. They were under for a half hour at a 3 foot depth. No problems.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to ajairlines --

Gee, i'd suggest that you throw that battery away (recycle bin).

:whistle:
_

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I did 4 runtime tests with my P3D-CE in a glass of water... first was with a 1x17670 on High => almost 4 hours. Recharged, rested same battery, then set to Turbo => 19 min. The second test was 2xCR123 on High => 3hours, 20 minutes. Recharged, rested same same batteries, then set to Turbo => 1hour, 40 min.

I've also taken it on a night swim in a lake when I went camping; on the surface and underwater (about 3-4 feet under the surface) for about 15 minutes without any issues. :twothumbs I was freezing cold but the P3D had no issues.

One note, in all the cases, P3D was on before going in the water.

Last edited:

kavvika

Enlightened
My L0D has been through the washing machine once, with no problem. I also hung it on the curtain rod while I was taking a shower once when the power was out for 10 hours.