REALLY stubborn NovaTac bezel - Suggestions?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titan : Cool ~ Tried boiling it water for like ... 3 minutes ... and turn with my mousepad ... and the mousepad got shredded quite badly ... With the serial number of the light facing me and the bezel facing up , i'm turning it in a clockwise direction ... Erm ... I can send you the light ... just that ... I need it back in the original condition that I sent you ...
Like I said guaranteed,but before we get there try this...put the light into boiling water,then while the light is still very hot..place it bezel down on to a piece of rubber and something firm.now twist both ways repeatedly..you will have to put alot of weight behind it.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
mraymer : WHOOPS ~ Major typo there ... I'll get it changed ...

Titan : Hoping not to damage the light , I only dip the head 1 inch into the boiling water ... soak it for 3 minutes ... took out my silicon grip pad ... and tried to wrench it free ... it didn't move a single mm ... tried it plenty of times but doesn't seem that responsive ...

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titan : Cool ~ Tried boiling it water for like ... 3 minutes ... and turn with my mousepad ... and the mousepad got shredded quite badly ... With the serial number of the light facing me and the bezel facing up , i'm turning it in a clockwise direction ... Erm ... I can send you the light ... just that ... I need it back in the original condition that I sent you ...
Like myraymer said,if this is correct you are turning it the wrong way,it has to be anti clockwise. :D

Last edited:

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
I tried it again just now ... heated the head and tried to turn it using the soles of my slippers ... It still didn't budge ... Tried the heat and cold trick ... still couldn't work ... looks like i might need third party support

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
@isleep is there any indication of what color locktite it is? and I take it you can get nail varnish remover in your country? the next plan will follow your answers.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
Titan : well ... It doesn't budge , but i see really small amounts of white residue in the seams betweem the head and the bezel ... Acetone could be bought easily at hardware shops across the country ...

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok seems you have super glue and not thread lock,thread lock green and red being the toughest to crack.
What you have does not like oil acetone,or heat.
First try getting some fine oil in between the bezel and body,allow it to soak in.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the acetone is good for o_rings either.

Man this really has become an issue for some people.

I can only imagine that Novatac really does NOT want people making this particular change to their flashlight.
'Clearly when the bezel comes off it creates a host of other problems which Novatac fixed by using this super duty thread glue.

On my example of the unit It worked perfectly. when I noticed the retaining ring had become loose and the light became intermittent I loosened the front bezel and then tightened the retaining ring used a pit of thread locker and then tightened the bezel back down. it was a delicate operation but in the end everything got lined up perfectly with the right amount of force and thread glue and it has not come loose or been flickery or flakey in the slightest. the light operates 100% perfectly.

In my mind there is no doubt that this whole issue is a design shortcoming of the light which they have attempted to fix. and have fixed.
Unfortunately the Novatac fix is not compatible with the plans of Cpfr who feel the need to switch the bezel.
I still have not figured out why and if all of this effort is worth while for what? A couple of tritium thing or a slightly different bezel? Or a different front glass?
I must admit that I did install a UCL and I do notice the difference.
This whole thing is pretty tough. and I feel for you guys who are having issues.
Take care.

Oh by the way have you tried to bake the light?
Yaesumofo

Avoid getting it on the lens period :caution: but it will not harm glass!

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
OK, Manage to find some Singer Oil (those used in sewing machines) and soaked it in for a night ... will check on the head every now and then ... Meanwhile, I'll lose one of my EDC light temporarily ...

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
yaesumofo : LOL ~ I have no guts to put 150 Singapore dollars in the oven yeah ... :laughing: ... But tried boiling it, freezing it, hammering at it, clamp it ... it hadn't budge, but I sure feel my arm growing thicker :laughing:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Yaesumofo thanks for chimming in here,on the heat issue the common mistake most make is it takes more heat than a hair dryer or even boiling water to break down threadlock. for standard threadlock 350F is needed 500F for the high temp threadlocks,the trick is defining what type is used.

But I'm just wondering what these temps would do to the light itself,you are correct though it needs alot of heat.

Also you are correct,I would not recommend acetone on o-rings either.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo : LOL ~ I have no guts to put 150 Singapore dollars in the oven yeah ... :laughing: ... But tried boiling it, freezing it, hammering at it, clamp it ... it hadn't budge, but I sure feel my arm growing thicker :laughing:
So will we have your endorsement put to this new bodybuildng item,the novatwister :poke:

Last edited:

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
HAHAH ... Nice one ~ :laughing:

Meanwhile, any backup plans ? If soaking in oil doesn't work ...