Recomend a light for an upcomming trip please.

me here

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have an upcomming trip this summer to Canada. I currently have a SF E1b, 4sevens quark tactical and tactical turbo lights. I am traveling to the sticks in Canada and want a light for the trip. It will be for backpacking and EDC. I want LOTS of throw and a crenulated(sp?) bezel preferably stainless steel or Ti. I cannot carry a "weapon" on me in Canada unlike here in UT ( i have a carry permit:D). I need a "multiuse" tool in its place.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__x__Less than $50.
__x__Less than $100.
__x__Less than $150.

Prefferably $100 or less. Not more than $150

3) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

__x__Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
__x__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
__x__Holster carry.

I prefer inside pocket carry, 2 CR123 is about the biggest that I would prefer.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

__x__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
__x__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

I am thinking about a rechargable for the first time, as long as they are safe and the runtime is at least an hour.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__x__I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

As much as I can get of course. Something brighter or at least more throw than the lights that I have. See above.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

__x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__x__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

As much as possible.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

__x__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

As much as possible, but I can carry a spare battery if I need.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

__x__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

__x__I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).

I like the switches on the Quark Tactical and E1b, I think I answered this correctly.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__x__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

__x__I want a programmable light.

I really like the UI on the Quark tactical (that is why I have three); I don't like the UI on the E1b. I HATE the UI on the lights that have "last output memory" with five or so levels.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__x__Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
__x__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

As far as the body is concerned, probably plastic or aluminum. I want a hard crenulated bezel.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).

__x__Pocket/belt clip
____Holster

__x__Crenulated bezel

I want a "tactical" light with as muc throw as possible for the budget and size as listed. Thanks!!

anedae

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if this would meet your needs but it is what i thought of when i read what you're doing..
Klarus XT-11 and them buy the Bezel separate. Going gear Carries them i know.

Plus, according to selfbuilts review, on rcr123s it has over 200m of throw.

gsr

Enlightened
If you can make it to Gallenson's in downtown Salt Lake City, near 2nd South and 2nd East. They have pretty good prices on what Surefire lights they have. The case is by the front door.

Andrey17

Newly Enlightened
Check out lumintop td15x, eagletac g25c2 klarus xt11, armytek predator, surefire fury(simple ui). These are a few 2x CR123A / 1x 18650 flashlights that I would use for your situation.

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can have two of the following three;

1. High output
2. High throw
3. Compactness

Something that is powerful and throwy isn't going to be small.
Something that is powerful and small isn't going to be throwy.
Something that is throwy and small isn't going to be powerful.

You could try ThruNite TN11 V2 or Scorpion V3 Turbo.

TN11 lets you program the desired output to come on when the head is loosened. When tightened, it will run on maximum. When loosened, you can program it to have output from 10~90%, beacon or strobe.
Scorpion uses a magnetic tailswitch, which lets you select from lockout to moonlight to programmed output (10~90%) to momentary strobe to momentary maximum.

Both may be a bit large for your taste, however, but they do have limited programmable outputs and are bright and throwy.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EC25 or P25 Smilodon. Both are 860 lumens, I use the ec25 with two cr123 and its reasonably compact. I like the lockout function. I have a p25 on the way, it's a fair bit longer due to a built in charger. The Ea4 takes 4aa batteries ;)

I live in Alberta, we have, fields, forests, mountains, and a desert (drum heller) all in one province ;)

surefire Fury would do nicely, I suggest the two mode

me here

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look them all up. I didn't realize that the OP was my first post. I swear that I had some posts when I joined a year or two ago.

Where I am going will be forested with boat trips on Lake Huron.

I was looking at the Fenix TK22. Your thoughts?

Now time for more reasearch.

Thanks again

L

bietjiedof

Newly Enlightened
I like the Crelant 7G2CS - it's very compact, stainless steel bezel, 658 lumens with infinitely variable brightness, 300 meter beam, weapons compliant (according to the MD-Lightsource website), IPX-8 waterproof to 5 metres, tailstands and has removable reflector so you can use it as a mule - and it's very well priced. The bigger 7G6CS has a crenellated bezel and is even throwier, but the 40mm head is a bit too big for a pocket, IMHO.

Edit: and available in neutral white, if you prefer.

8486948740_9ec4c933d4_z.jpg

Last edited:

Andrey17

Newly Enlightened
I think the fenix tk22 is awesome. I bought one on eBay, it is going to come in a few days.:thumbsup:

me here

Newly Enlightened
update ... did you buy yet ?

No I haven't put money down yet. It will be a couple of weeks anyway.

The Stanely fat max won't exactly fit in my pocket,....at all lol.

I was looking at the TK22, but that Predator looks pretty dang good.

gilly

Enlightened
I went backpacking to Montana (Glacier National Park) just south of the Canadian border last summer. I had a Surefire 6P with an XM-L drop in, my HDS Rotary, a Fenix E01, and a Zebralight AA headlamp. My companions thought I was whacked - they had that many lights between the three of them.

I didn't have my Predator V2 XM-L then, but would have liked it. For use in the tent on lowest firefly mode (less than 1 lumen) and then for piercing the darkness outside the 700 lumens (590 out the front) throwing about 150 yards. If you are intrigued by programming your own light, it only takes about 1/2 hour to figure out and there are some videos that help on ***tube. The light is very distinctive in it's looks and feel - the smooth matte finish is amazing - much like the parkerization on a combat knife. Seems to be a very rugged light.

I think you'd also be pleased with the Fenix TK22 - I have a friend who is very happy with his.