Recommend a replacement for Sunwayman V11r? Compact USB charging 18650?

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
LOVE my Sunwayman. It's a great light. Had trouble with the variable ring over the years. Last time I fixed the ring I accidentally damaged the body of the light and it's a pain to change the batteries now. Still really like the light, but I'm thinking it might be time to try out an 18650 light. I really enjoy fiddling with the adjustable ring on the V11r, but find that I frequently have it set brighter than I need, and it's eating through batteries. And anytime I let someone use it for a bit, they crank it on max brightness.

I like the idea of a USB rechargeable 18650, though I know this will be quite a bit bigger of a light. I'd be ok to give up the USB charging as I have a nice Nitecore charger, but it sounds pretty convenient. What's out there thats awesome? It will be pocket carried with a clip next to my Leatherman XTI, so the smaller the better.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a V11R and also had trouble with the ring so I don't really trust it. The smallest 18650 light that I have is the Convoy S2+, I bought it as a host and ordered the LED and driver separately.

I have fitted a driver that has 22 modes to choose from and I have it set on ML - 5% - 15% - 50% - 100% with No memory so it always comes on in ML.

I'm very pleased with it.

Convoy%20S2_zpsj1txk3f8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was easy to assemble and only needed to wires from the driver soldering onto the LED board.

I've just ordered a TIR lens to try in the S2+, which should be quite easy to fit.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
The Nitecore MH12 is USB rechargeable and neutral.
If you would prefer minimal size, the Olight S2 is remarkably short at slightly over 4 inches long.

snakyjake

Enlightened
I like my equivalent Jetbeam. Haven't had an issue with the magnetic control ring. I won't buy anything but a control ring. I've been looking at Eagltac next.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
V11r control ring working smooth for me so far and I'm loving this light. Hate to hear that it can fail though! HDS twisty is also one of my favs and that one is even more bulletproof

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOVE my Sunwayman. It's a great light. Had trouble with the variable ring over the years. Last time I fixed the ring I accidentally damaged the body of the light and it's a pain to change the batteries now. Still really like the light, but I'm thinking it might be time to try out an 18650 light. I really enjoy fiddling with the adjustable ring on the V11r, but find that I frequently have it set brighter than I need, and it's eating through batteries. And anytime I let someone use it for a bit, they crank it on max brightness.

I like the idea of a USB rechargeable 18650, though I know this will be quite a bit bigger of a light. I'd be ok to give up the USB charging as I have a nice Nitecore charger, but it sounds pretty convenient. What's out there thats awesome? It will be pocket carried with a clip next to my Leatherman XTI, so the smaller the better.
I have a V11R, and like all 16340 or 14500 lights, the runtime is terrible.

My solution was to use two of the AA adapters and bore them out and run it on a 16650. Much better runtimes and it's still smaller than many 18650 lights.

It's looking a little beat up, but works perfectly:

However I admit, this doesn't solve the issues that can occur with the mag ring.

Sadly if you like the constantly variable adjustable lights with mag rings, they seem fairly few and far between. No other UI will offer the same versatility and instant access to different modes however. So expect a different experience with any others.

As for which lights. Well seriously there are hundreds of options, from under $15 right through to $300 if you want. So you may need to narrow down what you are wanting from the light and a price point.

As for the charging. I'm not personally keen on the inbuilt chargers. Firstly because some/many just aren't good chargers. But mostly because you can't use the light while charging the battery. And that you can only charge one battery at a time.

As a travel light, where you might just plug it in every other day, then yes, it could be a good solution however.

For a mid priced light, I say check out the EagleTac D-Series lights. There is a twisty, clicky and a few other flavours. All compact for 18650 lights. And EagleTac offer good quality lights and a nice choice of emitter types.

If you fancy going budget, then the as mentioned Convoy is a great way to go. They offer two main models the S2 and the S2+. The S2+ is slightly shorter with a shallower reflector, it'll offer a more floody beam. The S2 is slightly longer and has a deeper reflector and a little more throw. Other than that they are very similar.

Places like banggood dot com sell these for a very good price. Some as cheap as $10.00 and the quality is superb on them. And they offer a really good range of LED tints too and a choice of driver outputs. These are as bright and as well made as pretty much any other lights on the market. The only slight downer is the driver is a bit basic and the mode options are a bit limited, no moon light and just scroll through the modes. But it has no PWM and works well.

The Convoy lights also use standard 17mm driver boards and 16mm stars, so are ever so easy to mod if you want something else.

A step up from the Convoy is an Astrolux S1 also available at Banggood and is only $30.00

This is a 100% superb light. Very very powerful, lots of modes, choice of tints and a programmable driver. It'll out perform lights that might cost 4 or 5 times more money.

It even comes with an extra body tube, so you run it as a shorty 16340/18350 light if you want, or a bigger 18650 light. You seriously would not be disappointed with this light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
ghmt5wGeJymDECSxnqhkGGI6vuN3IdxaTK4weU4jTIOKb9tM5-vQ_IAL_wcc9-bXCi3uC_xpW3SGFsb82O7zv9IUKjzRlmJf3wy4UTO1NkYma1Y78t3et6CptHh3PUKH0AQJPwUO3JswkbHmP3Ow2G1UwbjoHDG5yrBDWZ6NcJA6cgxZfu83W3VoLU9v94xcgi1U0AMin5CSj5XFyZVzR6anw-wgJ3TIlWs6Pc9O06LW34k8DguAxovvsgbHC-soVjstbnqxxbzdkburzvaKVk53uKjPKO1wq5Da-bO3f8LwcncQgZJtKzRBVsy5K5v6d4O34Q5iqyWWWuPhj32QSB146KltdoxWaAAUoRcKXWXL8v4uTNCDmrdAa0Q-V_Ds-mDf3HlvzcB5zG1A_mfATy_YXalmY2sGrDv6CUu7puQG4FTr9JcMbnzkdYoopmhVleFzX9LC7Adr2zDYXteO5FWaZUmujMhxkfz_WvfLyC95VbBNRqIacXqpyldoTpx1U4ujbfVoVobYV8nNxI81T4qZCmWFH7pZDj2I3TqMjKshqF56yYmz5plawKxwV9Q6IWAVHqMQ-aLdj6WAfQJl8eVUtg0MA-A=w582-h775-no

Left is a Convoy S2+, centered is the Manker Quinlan U11, and on the right a S2 shorty 18350.

The manker is an 18650 that is USB micro, rechargeable. The reflector is similar to a p60, so it does out throw the Convoys.
There are a couple of good reviews on the Quinlan.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Manker as well. It's a nice light, very compact, if a little chunky. Clip works well, but makes it less comfortable to hold. But it does indeed throw very well for such a small light.

it has a good spread of modes, but my biggest complaint is the user interface. No thought went into it at all, which ruins an otherwise brilliant light. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly usable, but it irritates me each time I use mine, as you just can't get it to do things you want easily and without selecting modes you don't want.

A Convoy has a simplistic UI by comparison, but it wins out by not being infuriating to use.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my v11r vn version. Maybe that's what your replacement should be, the vn version! The tint in mine is no soothing, xml2 5000k

Latest posts